Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dead man switch

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013 | 11:19 AM
monkeyballhoola
|
Intermediate
Default dead man switch

I just got an '03 fat boy and I want to install a dead man switch. At least I think that's what its called. A toggle switch between the battery and ignition. Kind of a poor boy anti theft device. I know its not fool proof but it will make me feel better. This is the newest bike I've owned, has a carburetor, but I'd hate to wire it in wrong and cause myself any problems. Any suggestions on how, where to mount, best switch for the job? I'd also like some opinions on drilling holes in the factory center line wheels. I'm in West Texas and the wind never stops blowing out here! Its like having sails on my bike!

Old 03-20-2013 | 11:35 AM
jimsflh
Outstanding HDF Member

I'd probably mount it under the seat

Old 03-20-2013 | 12:01 PM
hspring03
Elite HDF Member

What's the switch going to do if they roll your bike away?

Old 03-20-2013 | 12:12 PM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member

I think what your looking to do is install a basic cut off switch. A "Dead Mans" switch has to be held down or squeezed at all times to function. Once it is released (The man holding it dies) the circuit is disrupted and the engine stops. But I could be wrong.

Convenience and stealth is the key to install location. If it's too difficult to get to, you will eventually stop activating it. And you want it some place that's simple to access, thus making it easy to build the habit of using it every time you park or leave. I know one rider that had a small button type switch installed on the horn "cow bell". It was easy to switch on and off, yet partially hidden by the tank. And he got so good at it he could turn it on and off without much notice.

But like the man said, it won't do you much good if they just pick up the bike and throw it in a truck and drive off.

Old 03-20-2013 | 01:42 PM
monkeyballhoola
|
Intermediate

If they roll it away or throw it in a truck I'll let the GPS do it's job. I was just thinking it would be a nice stumbling block for someone hunting a free ride. I work on the road and don't have a toy hauler for storage. Plus I stay in rv parks and you don't always have the best neighbors. I have a rotor lock and the fork lock, plus my friendly little GPS....maybe the switch would be overkill.....daddy always did say I should go the extra mile!

Old 03-20-2013 | 01:56 PM
kwo51
Outstanding HDF Member

You could just pull the main fuse!.

Old 03-20-2013 | 01:58 PM
Cajun King
Road Master

I have an 03 Fat Boy and just lock the ignition and forks when ever I am out of sight of the bike.

Old 03-20-2013 | 01:59 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

Either wire it interrupting the stater solenoid wire or the power to the coil. Mount it somewhere its not obvious your using it like next to the odometer trip or on the bars or by the choke.

Old 03-20-2013 | 03:04 PM
monkeyballhoola
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kwo51
You could just pull the main fuse!.
And stuff the seat in my back pack while I'm at it!

Old 03-20-2013 | 04:48 PM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member

It is a extra kill switch, I have one mounted under my cow bell, it is a push on push off. It cuts everything. It activates a solenoid that cuts the main power to the main switch.
Drilling the holes out on the Fatboy is pretty easy, done that too. Put your drill press on the floor, block up the tire on the other side, drill away.
Remember the holes don’t line up so there will be twice the number of holes once you are done.
I don’t know how much relief i get from the wind, it is probably minimal, but it is a cool look.

Last edited by Harleycruiser; 03-20-2013 at 05:05 PM.

Quick Reply: dead man switch