Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handlebar suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 03:40 PM
June Bug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Handlebar suggestions

I have a new-to-me 2003 Softail Standard - FXSTI. Got it in October, near the end of riding season. LOVE the bike - finally found a bike that is the look I like, and the riding position that's best for me as far as comfort, and handling.

HOWEVER .. I just bought a new Mustang Regal Duke seat. I was able to get the bike out for about a 60 mile ride a week ago (before this latest snow fall, grrr). The seat is fabulous. BUT .. It does sit me just a slight bit back (especially if I want to be able to sit back and take advantage of the nice back support). I just feel my arms are a bit stretched out now. Not bad - I could live with it, but thinking maybe the easiest fix would be to get different bars.

I do NOT want mini-apes. I have had them before. For me - they just aren't right, I have figured out I ride better with lower positioned bars. I like the more "regular" handlebar position - I do NOT (and probably COULD not without more work), want to add a higher riser. The height is fine. I would just like the get the bars a little closer to me - doesn't have to be a heck of a lot.

Any suggestions as to what might do the trick?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by June Bug; 03-19-2013 at 04:23 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:49 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well the street slammers have a bit more pullback, but they're almost a drag bar, so i dont know if that would suit you for a 'regular riding position'.. personally i love them vs the stock 2010 fatboy lo bars. HD also has a new bar called the "Swingback", which I think look very nice, low-ish rise, with a lot of pullback
http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

of course those are just HD bars, and there's thousands out there that you might like..so.. hope that helps a bit.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:55 PM
June Bug
Stellar HDF Member

Thanks Sgt. Jim, for the response!

I forgot to mention I have external wiring, and because I'm looking for an "easy" solution, I don't want to have to go through changing over to internal wiring. Hoping to just be able to find some bars that I can just literally swap out with the ones on there now (which I BELIEVE are stock?). I love the look of the Street Slammers - had thought about them when I had my Street Bob - but I think they might not be the most comfortable position for me. (I have some back issues). Dang!

Old 03-19-2013, 04:42 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I don't have the GD handlebar chart at hand but you could look up your current bars to get your rise,width and height then you have a starting point for looking at other bars for comparison. Just find a set that is about the same with 2-3" of pullback.

Old 03-19-2013, 05:31 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,803 Likes on 9,866 Posts

The T-bars that came with mine are perfect for me. About an 8" rise with about 4" of pullback. I'm 6' if that helps any. More pics in my garage.

Old 03-19-2013, 05:40 PM
June Bug
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Misbehaven
I don't have the GD handlebar chart at hand but you could look up your current bars to get your rise,width and height then you have a starting point for looking at other bars for comparison. Just find a set that is about the same with 2-3" of pullback.

You know - I was actually thinking along those lines driving home tonight. My bars are not straight, but definitely do not have much pull back. The risers on there ARE pull back, and I really don't want to have to change them out. SO ... I think you are right - find out what my bar measurements are and go from there. I don't need much, just a little closer.

Old 03-19-2013, 05:47 PM
June Bug
Stellar HDF Member

Well! So much for checking the measurements. Either I do NOT have stock bars (was sure they were) or the chart is wrong. They list the measurements for my bike as the exact same as the Heritage! And I had a Heritage and I KNOW they are not anywhere near the same! Hmmm.....

Old 03-19-2013, 05:50 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,803 Likes on 9,866 Posts

Love the paint on your bike, BTW.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:06 PM
June Bug
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by QC
Love the paint on your bike, BTW.
Why thank you It's #3 of 200 custom paint set. Purple (which is the base color although it looks blue in the pic) is my favorite color and I LOVE flames, so when I saw the bike I fell in love. Then of course I rode it and was REALLY in love!!

Old 03-19-2013, 07:13 PM
Mill908
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dont want to bogart your thread but was going to ask on here and this may give you another option,,Has anyone used or physically had in hand either the HELI Bars or ArlenNESS Modular Bars,,, I have only recently heard of them and was looking for some opinions as well. Maybe that will help you too June Bug but they seem pretty far from normal at least in my opinion.

Quick Reply: Handlebar suggestions