Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fatboy Windshield question

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013 | 09:10 AM
jam436
Supporter

Originally Posted by jb7
Thanks for all of the replies. I didn't know about the dealer having a windshield with the different heights marked off. I'll take a ride to the dealer and check it out. Thanks again.
Yup, look for this hanging on the wall somewhere...

Old 03-19-2013 | 11:45 AM
stailjim61
Road Captain

Originally Posted by jb7
Thanks for all of the replies. I didn't know about the dealer having a windshield with the different heights marked off. I'll take a ride to the dealer and check it out. Thanks again.
Whatever you do...don't buy the Harley shield. It's garbage. I have used both Harley and Memphis Shades. The Memphis Shades is so much thicker than the Harley shield and doesn't flex. The Harley one also has a laminated coating on it that WILL eventually peel. Memphis Shades has the wide and slim designs also. Either way, don't be afraid to cut it down to the proper height. It's super easy to do and you can make it perfect for your height. There's nothing worse than the shield being too high, it starts to rain, and having to constantly reach up to wipe the shield so you can see.

Old 03-19-2013 | 12:13 PM
mswing1234
Road Captain

Originally Posted by jb7
Never liked the looks of a windshield on a Fatboy, but after the ride down and back to Daytona on I-95 I have had a change of heart. I want to go with one of the detachable HD windshields, either the king size or the nostalgic, but I have a question on the listed windshield heights. HD lists 18, 21, and 23 inch heights. Where exactly are these measurements taken from? Are they measured from the cutout for the headlight? I want to have a windshield I can look over, not through, and I don't want to end up with too high of a windshield from the start. Any help would be appreciated.
I don't like the look of mine very much either but after going through the Cicada season here two years ago and getting bullseyed with rocks occasionally, I put it on anytime I'm on the highway. I'm 5'8" and have the 18" quick detach. I read somewhere that you want the top of the shield to be between your bottom lip and your chin. Obviously that depends on your riding posture but I can look over the top or duck behind.

Old 03-19-2013 | 03:25 PM
wiktor
Tourer

I have a Harley shield and also would advise you not to go with one. I have had fitment problems since it was new and the mounts have chewed up quite a few of the rubber bushings. I would go with a National Cycle shield.

Old 03-19-2013 | 06:51 PM
fcsallan
Road Warrior

I ditched the HD shield as well but I went with a Klockworks Flare. Love it.

Old 03-19-2013 | 07:24 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

Heres a stock MOCO windshield. It was 23 above the headlight. Might have been 22, I can't remember exactly:

This is all you have to do to make it any size you want:

And this is what I choose to keep it at. This is 16 over the headlight. I am just under six feet. Like 5.11 1/2. I look right over it.

Old 03-19-2013 | 08:45 PM
HD160
Intermediate
Default Fatboy Windshield Question

I have a Fatboy Low, do any of these aftermarket companies that make shields sell the mounting hardware and their shield with the hardware?
Or do you have to buy a Harley one and transfer it to the aftermarket shield?
It seems as though all the aftermarket ones only sell the replacement screens. Also if it matters I have 12.5'' Ape Hanger bars.

Thanks

Old 03-19-2013 | 08:53 PM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member

Ive got a like new condition quick release HD windshield of my 2008 Sporty I just traded in this past Thursday if anyone is interested. It's 14 inches from the headlight cutout to the top and Im 6'2" and sitting up it cut the wind from my forehead down.

Old 03-19-2013 | 08:55 PM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member

I know I saw some aftermarket quick detach windshields for Harley somewhere on line. Keep searching. And I believe they were half the cost. Start with Dennis Kirk and JP cycles and go from there.

Old 03-22-2013 | 03:55 PM
wiktor
Tourer

The windshields National Cycle sells all have the hardware and the quick release hardware looks alot more durable than Harley's.

Quick Reply: Fatboy Windshield question