Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake-line & Clutch Cable question - I just swapped bars

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 05:48 AM
Finalcut
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Brake-line & Clutch Cable question - I just swapped bars

For those of you who have changed out cables & handlebars you'll knowwhat I'm talking about I hope....

1- Clutch Cable
First off - the new clutch cable seems a little tight. It's plenty long enough.
I connected it to the hook assembly first in transmission, and then tried to connect it to the lever on the bars and it was a b!tch to get just enough bare cable to slip through the hand assembly and get it in. I had to pull pretty hard with pliers. It seems to work ok however -when the bike is in gear I can't move it forward or back any further than normal, and when I engage the clutch I can roll the bike like normal while in gear....

2- Front Brake-Line
You know how the banjofittings on the actual linehave the holes in them for fluid to pass through, and the mountingbolt that passes through also has the hole... They do not line up perfectly - is this normal?
It seems like it would be darn near impossible to line them up perfectly, and the instructions don't say anything, so I thought I'd double check here.

On a side not I love those bars! Wild One Chubby W502. I'll post picts if I can ever get passed this little hic-up

Old 02-14-2007, 11:33 AM
DaveJ
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Brake-line & Clutch Cable question - I just swapped bars

ORIGINAL: Finalcut

For those of you who have changed out cables & handlebars you'll knowwhat I'm talking about I hope....

1- Clutch Cable
First off - the new clutch cable seems a little tight. It's plenty long enough.
I connected it to the hook assembly first in transmission, and then tried to connect it to the lever on the bars and it was a b!tch to get just enough bare cable to slip through the hand assembly and get it in. I had to pull pretty hard with pliers. It seems to work ok however -when the bike is in gear I can't move it forward or back any further than normal, and when I engage the clutch I can roll the bike like normal while in gear....
It sounds like you need to adjust the clutch cable. There is a an adjuster underneath the rubber boot on the cable, should be up against the front of the frame. You loosen the jam nut, which allows you to turn the adjuster to loosen or tighten the clutch cable. I would suggest getting a service manual; it has everything you need to know in it.

2- Front Brake-Line
You know how the banjofittings on the actual linehave the holes in them for fluid to pass through, and the mountingbolt that passes through also has the hole... They do not line up perfectly - is this normal?
It seems like it would be darn near impossible to line them up perfectly, and the instructions don't say anything, so I thought I'd double check here.
There is a channel on the inside perimeter of the fitting for fluid to pass through. You do not need to worry about lining them up.

Old 02-14-2007, 12:22 PM
inferno_md
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having the exact same problems with the clutch cable. I bought the length that was recommended to go with the street sweeper bars and it deosn't seem to have the enough cable to connect to the clutch lever. I shortened the lenght as much as I could. I am not sure what to do either.

Old 02-14-2007, 01:10 PM
DaveJ
Road Master

ORIGINAL: inferno_md

I am having the exact same problems with the clutch cable. I bought the length that was recommended to go with the street sweeper bars and it deosn't seem to have the enough cable to connect to the clutch lever. I shortened the lenght as much as I could. I am not sure what to do either.
I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying the outer casing is not long enough? Or you can't tighten the inner cable enough for the clutch to operate properly? Or am I even more confused than I thought?

Old 02-14-2007, 02:13 PM
inferno_md
Advanced

I think I may have confused you. The outer cable is long enough. The inner cable once I connect it to the inner ramp in the clutch cover, does not allow me enough slack to connect the ring to the clutch handle. I have made the cable as tight as possible by adjusting the nut under the rubber boot.

Old 02-14-2007, 02:26 PM
DaveJ
Road Master

Ahh, you need to disconnect the cable from the clutch lever first. Then it should go on easily. Once the lower end is assembled, give the cable some slack to attach it to the lever. Then adjust the cable to the proper tension.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 02-14-2007, 02:57 PM
lanceo70
Tourer

Come to think of it, I had the same problem at first when I changed my clutch cable. Couldn't get the cable loosened up enough to get it hooked up to the lever. I ended up taking the tranny apart again and double checked the ***** in the ramp and to make sure it moved freely. For some reason when I installed it the first time after I had itall together the ramp wouldn't move. I put it together and again and everything fit fine.

Old 02-14-2007, 10:15 PM
inferno_md
Advanced

That may be where I am having my issue. I thought I gave slack by adjusting the nut under the rubber boot. This is the Harley cable and you can't adjust anywhere else. I am new at this process and would appreciate any guidance. I wouldn't feel insulted if you kept it simple. Some of the terminology is still throwing me off a bit.

Old 02-14-2007, 11:00 PM
DaveJ
Road Master

I would strongly suggest getting the service manual. It has step-by-step instructions, diagrams, torque specifications, etc; basically, everything you need to know. Anyway, I think if you attach the transmission side first, you should be able to easily connect the other end to clutch control lever on the handlebars. Then it's just a matter of adjusting the tension on the cable. FYI, there are things you will need to know that are spelled out in the manual; like the position of the retaining ring, the bolt-tightening sequence, and the torque specs. Good luck!
[align=left] [/align]

Old 02-15-2007, 02:05 AM
Finalcut
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks everyone. It looks like I did everything correct... I do have the service manual, and it is great....
Thanks again.