Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

motorcycle dolly/stand

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 10:01 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 774 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by threadstopper
probably no confusion just people trying to help out the best they can and not meeting your expectations.

try this
No intention to offend anyone and I appreciate the help.

Now Jetlag, you are on the right track.

I did see the Sears stand, however 750 .lbs is about what my Heritage weighs so I'd something with a little more maximum capacity if possible.

If I don't find anything other than the Sears stand I'll just order it and then beef it up a bit.

Thanks,

Old 03-18-2013, 08:26 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Have you considered getting the heavier duty Sears one and cutting it in half.
Then welding a piece of square tube in the middle to allow it to open up to fit around the jack like the cheaper/smaller version?
Looking at the smaller Sears one, it seems like the wheels might not be up to the task of holding up or rolling easily with something as large/heavy as a Harley on it.
Personally I would seriously consider adding a removable extra brace across the open space to either one once the jack was removed.
Its probably just me, but thinking about pushing my baby across a floor that's not pool table smooth with that large unbraced open gap just bothers me for some reason.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:49 AM
threadstopper
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 03-18-2013, 11:08 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member

Threadstopper, I totally agree with you.

Rolling my Heritage across the floor on the Sears dolly/stand would make me a bit nervous too. However what I'm really after is more of a stand than a dolly.

What I want to do is jack my bike up, roll it up near a wall, lower the bike on the stand then remove the jack.

Then move the bike up against the wall. I then will have the jack available for other purposes or be stored out of the way while still being able to move my bike a bit if needed.

I could just get another jack or use some dunnage, but I'd rather use something made for the specific purpose I need.

Also, I'd like to have an open center to make adjusting my shocks a little easier.
My red Sears jack has a cross bar that makes it impossible to adjust both of the shocks at the same time.

Of course with riding season approaching, I'm not in that big of a hurry to find a solution. Just looking down the road.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:55 PM
Rad Dog
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bluraven,

Did you ever find a stand like you were looking for? I'm looking for the same thing and not having much luck. I just found this one online which looks pretty decent but I can't find much reference on it -http://www.goheengarage.com/

Old 05-09-2014, 03:46 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member

Yep I looked at those but for $115 I think I can have a local welder make me one for half that price but I didn't want just a stand, I want one with wheels which they want $215+ for.

IMO that's wayyyyyyy too much $$ for what you get.
I've been using my Sears yellow jack and it's been just fine so I'll stick with that until I either get something made or find something more reasonable priced.

Nice of you though to remember this thread and post an update.

Last edited by Bluraven; 05-09-2014 at 03:48 PM.
Old 05-09-2014, 05:25 PM
WildBill_50
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Here is a Dolly at HF for $79

Old 05-09-2014, 05:30 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member

Thanks Bill, but I'm looking for more of a "movable" stand that just something to roll the bike around.

The link that RadDog posted is exactly what I'm looking for just not for $215+.

Old 05-09-2014, 07:39 PM
gchristopher9
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I built this for winter storage. Assembled the two cross rails and one side. Jacked the bike up with my black widow scissor jack, slide the dolly under the bike and attached the other side. Then lowered the bike down and slide the scissor jack out. I used 2x4s, 2x6s, and heavy duty casters from Home Depot. Black widow also makes a dolly for their jack, which I also have, but the wheels are really small and didn't work as well as the one I built.