Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Easy fix with Fuel Pak 61017 from V&H ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 01:21 AM
ber1200c
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Easy fix with Fuel Pak 61017 from V&H ?

Was wondering if anyone has used this product from V&H with their Big Shots Staggered? Does it work....ie no popping...engine not too lean?

Talked to V&H tech support and they say that my Softail Fatboy with Big Shots Staggered has been dyno tested by V&H and that the fuel map for this combination is available with Fuel Pak 60107.

If you guys approve, I am will buy this item. The alternative at local dealer is $2100. I can buy Big Shots with fuel pak and air breather for half that.

Can you tell I am excited? Would like to get some approval before buying though.

Old 03-16-2013, 04:02 AM
olongapo1
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I've been running a Fuel Pack for the past 4 years on an 02 Fatboy. Changed pipes three times and intake twice. The Fuel Pack performs as advertized. Inexpensive, simple Plug-n-Play, no laptop computer required. My air fuel mixture is close to spot on.

Having said that, if you plan to do any engine modification down the road you need to look at an alternative tuning device such as the Thundermax, or Power Vision.

Old 03-16-2013, 04:24 AM
Nocturnalnature
Road Master

I had one and it sucked. Popped constantly, dead spots, ran hotter than hell. Numerous calls to tech support got me a bunch of cell changes with no improvement.
Gave up and went with XIED'S which immediately fixed all problems. Recently ditched those for a Powervision but haven't had a chance to ride yet due to crappy weather.

Old 03-16-2013, 09:16 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

If U haven't changed Ur A/C and its still stock U don't need to do anything.

And if U have and Ur dealer wants $2100 just for a SERT tuner installed and dyno.
Then U need to look for another dealer.

A new SePST is around $450, another $45 to install and 2-3 hrs dyno time should be $200 to $300. Ur cost should be at most $800 for total.

If U have cams planned in the near future U'll need a better tuner than the Fuel pac.
If not then their are a lot of Cheaper price units that just add fuel only to choose from.

A good tuner tunes U whole engine and it timing events at all rpm's.

A fuel only tuner only adds fuel across the board.

A good tuner and dyno done by a person that a good tuner will make a big diff in how U motor performs. it will start better, run smoother and cooler, get better fuel mileage and
increase Ur TQ and HP.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:22 AM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,803 Likes on 9,866 Posts

Agree with OCT1949. If you're going to do more to your engine, get something else. If all you're going to do is intake and exhaust, a unit such as the Arlen Ness CheapShot fuel manager or Dobeck DFO/TFI is much less expensive and easier to use. I had one and it worked perfectly with a Stage 1 intake and pipes.
And you need to find a different dealer.

Old 03-16-2013, 05:33 PM
ber1200c
Intermediate

Are you sure I dont have to do anything special if all I am changing is the pipes?

If you are correct, this would save me a ton of money. I am not looking to do cams nor am I planning to do any racing. I am well over 50, love the look and ride of the 2012 fatboy and just want to ride.

The stock pipes are ugly and dont sound like a Harley. I was encouraged by your statement, but have not heard many say that.

Old 03-16-2013, 05:44 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,803 Likes on 9,866 Posts

The '12s are even more accepting of changes than earlier years. My suggestion is to find an exhaust system you like the looks of, go to a local biker night and listen and look to really help make up your mind. Most guys will be be more than happy to answer your questions. As a heads up, next time you have a question, we need more info as far as year and model and what your goals might be so we can give you a relatively informed answer for you to spend your $$$ which we are more than happy to do.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:33 AM
billsantos
Cruiser

The consensus is, and I agree, you don't need to do anything if it's pipes only as newer FI bikes can adjust (to a degree). With bigger intake you need to do something. The Fuelpak has worked for me for years, though the new FP style for new bikes can be a bit*h to fit under the seat. You should also try to listen to different pipes in person if you can. Nothing like buying a pretty exhaust only to have the sound drive you nuts couple days later. Some V&H with stock baffles can be loud and raspy to some folks. I have their slip-ons but with their quiet baffles installed.. Still way louder than stock.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:35 AM
anthony_charney
5th Gear

Have had a Fuelpak on mine for about a year and it's worked great!

Old 03-30-2013, 01:39 PM
Lance Arrant
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ber1200c
Are you sure I dont have to do anything special if all I am changing is the pipes?

If you are correct, this would save me a ton of money. I am not looking to do cams nor am I planning to do any racing. I am well over 50, love the look and ride of the 2012 fatboy and just want to ride.

The stock pipes are ugly and dont sound like a Harley. I was encouraged by your statement, but have not heard many say that.
I am like you. I bought a 2013 heritage and did not like the stock pipes due to the sewing machine sound it had. I put on a set of cycle shack slip ons and did nothing to the air cleaner but still had lots of decel popping going on. I then ordered the fl-vied-10's from nightrider.com . I played with the setting and ended up having to adjust the all the way clockwise and got rid of almost all of the decel popping but still pops now and then. so no, just changing the pipes or mufflers you will still most likely need some sort of fuel management. The cycle shacks are ok but intended as a temporary fix to the stock sound. I now plan to go with rinehart 2 into 1 with fuel moto's stage 1 a/c but am undecided on what fuel management system I will use. got my eye on power vision and thundermax.