Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

thunderstar rotors replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 04:00 AM
VMCFiras
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thunderstar rotors replacement

Hi'all... I think I have burned way to many hours trying to find replacement rotors. I'm desperate for some help..

Here is the deal: presently, I have the thunderstar rotors that match my thunderstar wheels on both the front and the back. They look great but I want to replace the rotors to show more rim than rotor and better fit the new PM front brake caliper I installed recently.

I'm hoping to end up with a sea through look as in being able to look through the wheels and not be obstructed by the rotors at all. So they would need to be star shaped. This should help make the back of the bike look better.

As for the PM front brake caliper I installed, it apparently does not need as much surface area where the break pad meets the rotor. Almost half as much, so that should make the front rotor even less visible.

Any suggestions on where to find rotors that fit it would be highly appreciated. Also, here is a pic of my bike and pics of what I’m hoping to have my rotors look like.

Attached Thumbnails thunderstar rotors replacement-2003-fxsts.jpg   thunderstar rotors replacement-front-wheel.jpg   thunderstar rotors replacement-rear-wheel.jpg  
Old 03-11-2013, 10:54 AM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Those look like Bitchinseats rotors http://www.bitchinseatstore.net/

Old 03-12-2013, 07:26 AM
VMCFiras
Novice

Originally Posted by Kowan
Those look like Bitchinseats rotors http://www.bitchinseatstore.net/
Indeed they are the bitchinseats rotors. are there any other options?

Old 03-12-2013, 10:37 AM
back again
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,450 Likes on 2,597 Posts

For 275.00 for a 1 pc rotor I'd be looking for a good floating rotor that will help your braking with the Springer.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:46 AM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

It will be difficult to find a rotor that has more see through than that one. Youc an do a Big Daddy style rotor http://www.hogpro.com/imagebox.php?n...rt-pic1231.jpg but I think what you have now looks better. I don't understand about the surface area you are talking about. Brake calipers are designed for specific size rotors which should be 11.5" on your bike. Going to a smaller rotor is a bad idea. Call me crazy but more stopping power is always a better idea than less.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:07 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I agree, with me less is always more EXCEPT when it comes to stopping. Down sizing the size of the rotor, for any reason, is not a good thing. The one thing I want to be able to do above all else is to be able to stop my bike when I want it stopped and as fast as I want and in as short a distance as I possibly can.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:36 AM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Before getting KC Star floating rotors, I looked at Heartland's version of the Bitchinseats rotors. They were $275 per rotor. Heartland has since increased the price to $329 per rotor.
http://www.kcint2.com/category/cc1_p...ors___pulleys/

$269 for a pair and I use organic brake pads with them.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:46 AM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Before pulling the trigger also make sure the bolt holes in the rotors are in the same place so that they will clock properly with the spokes on your wheels.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:06 AM
VMCFiras
Novice

Originally Posted by Hogpro
I don't understand about the surface area you are talking about. Brake calipers are designed for specific size rotors which should be 11.5" on your bike. Going to a smaller rotor is a bad idea.
I agree and if anything I upgraded the caliper from a single piston to a PM dual piston for (hopefully!) better and more reliable breaking.

As for the surface area… yeah not sure how to explain this part and it is important to me. I used paintbrush to exlain on the attached pic (not bad for a firstimer using paintbrush ).

As you can see in the pic, I'm speaking about the part where the break pad meets the rotor. The PM caliper's break pad (realized this after upgrading) uses less of the rotors surface area as opposed to the stock caliper and pad. Its visible in the pic... if you inspect the rotor closely, you can see where the break pad contacts the rotor (almost black) and can see the difference between the old (wider contact) and the new (thinner contact).

so all this break rotor/pad contact area talk is for the front rotor... the back is still stock and still needs the old area!

Thanks for any help on findinge the perfect rotors...

Attached Thumbnails thunderstar rotors replacement-2003-fxsts-front-rotor.jpg  

Last edited by VMCFiras; 03-17-2013 at 08:09 AM.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:11 AM
VMCFiras
Novice

Originally Posted by Kowan
I use organic brake pads with them.
thanks for the suggestions... the KC Star floating rotors would fit nicely on the back not sure about the front. and the organic pads.. will do fir sure...

oh btw.. great looking bike. nice.