Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ceramic coating true duals.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013 | 11:50 AM
tbonetony06
|
Outstanding HDF Member
Default Ceramic coating true duals.

A while back we had a discussion going about the heat off of the True Duals and ceramic coating the pipes. I had the right side head pipe and the 2 smaller head pipes off of the rear cylinder to the left ceramic coated. My Son went and picked them up for me. They look sweet! It is not chrome but it's close, but when they sit under the heat shields I doubt 1 single person will notice them unless they look or I point them out. I can't ride for a while but as soon as I can I will post up some pictures. I can have my Son take a few pictures of them as they are sitting on the living floor but I don't have a computer I can upload them with. This ancient lap top I am using won't load them for me. I hope it pays off with less heat when I am riding. The guy that did them said they were good up to 2400 degree's. I don't know what that translates too but I am anxious to find out when I can. I figured what the hell. I have been following the "heat issue" that some have with the True Duals, I have already blown my budget out the top so what was another 125 bucks? If it add's comfort or at the very least keeps me from having that heat issue then it's all worth it. I figured I might as well do it now before they are installed rather than having an issue and having to pull them back off to get them done later on down the road. I will keep all posted who also had interest in ceramic coating of the pipes. The only bad thing is I have nothing to compare it to once they are on and done.

Old 03-08-2013 | 12:29 PM
Motown Strag
Road Warrior

Do you have access to a laser thermometer? They are pretty common these days. I could check mine for a comparison in a few weeks although it makes more sense to wait until after a tune.

Old 03-08-2013 | 12:43 PM
jmp1177
Intermediate

Did you have the insides done as well? I know they do it on high end cars to improve exhaust flow. Was considering it for mine.

Old 03-08-2013 | 12:47 PM
tbonetony06
|
Outstanding HDF Member

No, I don't know of anyone who has a thermal gun but if they are as common as you say they might be then I am sure I can find one when I get back on my feet. I know they have 1 at work but they are dicks when it comes to using something of theirs for none work purposes. Mine will also be going to the dyno tuner guy for a good tune once everything is on and it's back up and running and I am up and on my own 2 feet as well. I'm actually pretty excited about finding out though. I think of all that is getting done this winter that may end up being my favorite mod. I don't know why but it is! I like the fact that they won't turn blue on me, that makes me like it even more even though they will be covered by the heat shields. I am anxious to hear from anyone else who has gone this route too. Like I said, my budget was blown to hell as well as a TON of medical bills now so what the heck, why not get it done? If nothing else it CAN"T make it worse!!!

Old 03-08-2013 | 01:08 PM
tbonetony06
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Yes, I got the inside coated as well. It's a greenish looking color or coating. I am pretty sure thats why it's good up to 2400 degrees rather than the 1100 to 1300 degree's with just the outside being coated. Does anyone know how hot those pipes get without any coating? Years ago a girl that got her calf on 1 of my pipes after riding all day. It took a HUGE hunk of meat off of her leg, I felt so bad. That damn thing took a year to heal. I am told that will NOT happen with this ceramic coating.

Old 03-08-2013 | 01:49 PM
Motown Strag
Road Warrior

Dont tell JD you have a new favorite mod...lol

Old 03-08-2013 | 04:36 PM
tbonetony06
|
Outstanding HDF Member

naw.. JD and his shocks are still pretty safe. I am anxious too see these pipes on my bike and then feel this heat issue for myself. I doubt I will be in any shape to ride it for another 5 or 6 weeks, at least, and that will probably even be just a short ride around the block at that.

Old 03-08-2013 | 06:27 PM
Motown Strag
Road Warrior

They look so good on you wont even care how hot they are...wait and see in person

My bike is stripped down and they still look bad ***

Old 03-09-2013 | 08:48 AM
Motown Strag
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by CCPcoatings.com
Using a standard laser therm on a bright substrate is misleading if you can't calibrate it for that surface. If you can't calibrate it you're going to be off at least 150F - 250F..... To get a more accurate measurement try to get a reading off of a "NON BRIGHT" part closest to the bright or chrome part you're measuring. The non bright surface will be closer to the actual temp.

Thats going to be tough...Samson chromes the pipes even though they have full heat shields so its all bright, coated or not. Maybe a surface temp probe on a Fluke would work better but not easy to come by (outside of industrial areas)

You didn't mention what you would recommend for a with heat shield application?

Old 03-09-2013 | 03:00 PM
JRK5892
Banned

ok let me shed some light on this topic... when it comes to ceramic, the only pipes that require this are pipes where you are not running shields (most drags) and thunderheaders... other than that if you have your bike properly tuned you can just powder your shields. We have developed a process where we have had amazing results powder coating shields.... that said, some pipes simply run to hot (thunderheader) so on these we use a high temp powder that is good to 1200*. As the forum sponsor I am more than happy to assist you with any of your coating needs... if you are running true duels, stage 1, and have your bike properly tuned i personally think some nice gloss black shields would look way better! here are some examples of shields/mufflers we have coated for forum members:
(more pics on our website at www.thepowderpro.com)

few forum members bikes with the shields installed:

mine

Quick Reply: Ceramic coating true duals.