Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lets see your dash

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013 | 07:44 PM
JCP88
Advanced

@jreichart

Im about to do a blackline dash on my softail.

any tips for what modding Ill have to do?

that would be appreciated

jp

Old 06-13-2013 | 08:11 PM
jreichart
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by JCP88
@jreichart

Im about to do a blackline dash on my softail.

any tips for what modding Ill have to do?

that would be appreciated

jp
It's a pretty good fit as is, just a couple things that need to be addressed. The rear mounting tab will interfere with the front of the softail seats. I cut the tab off and drilled a mounting hole. I also had to drill and thread a corresponding hole in the tank mount tab. The sides needed a small notch filed to accommodate the weld at the rear edge of the tank. Other thn that, bolted right up! Here's a couple pis of the modifications...

Before

After

Old 06-13-2013 | 08:25 PM
jreichart
Road Warrior

As for an initial report on the rocker mounted gauge, everything is great after about 1500 miles. No vibration at all, visibility is not a problem either. Low fuel light does not work as expected, apparently there is a variable voltage depending what level the fuel is, so the light is on all the time, just gets brighter and dimmer. The stock speedo must have accounted for this and turned the light on when it saw a certain voltage. Oh well, I'll figure it out next winter. The only other issue is the speedo itself is reading about 7% high on mileage, haven't confirmed the speed to a known source yet, but I suspect that is off a bit as well. Not sure what to do about that, no adjustment in the speedo. I'll just deal with it for now, maybe swap out the unit and see if there is any difference.

But, so far, so good!

Old 06-13-2013 | 09:36 PM
ntculenuf
Cruiser

I used the shadow mask spray on my dash. I had seen the stuff on TV (That in itself is funny) and thought i would give it a shot. I think it turned out pretty good. The **** is a little darker than I wanted but still looks good. The chrome was blinding me while riding.
before
Lets see your dash-157935-ntculenuf-albums-23601-chubby-robert-picture119801-flush-mount-fuel-gauge-with-lights-on.jpg
after
Lets see your dash-157935-ntculenuf-albums-23601-chubby-robert-picture191258-shadow-mask-spray-much-better-than-the.jpg

Old 06-13-2013 | 11:46 PM
Tweeter2148
Advanced

Lets see your dash-bike-dash-4.jpg

My new low-profile dash from HD but painted black to match the bike.

Old 06-13-2013 | 11:50 PM
Tweeter2148
Advanced
Old 06-14-2013 | 12:29 AM
WhiteNoise
Road Captain

Originally Posted by jreichart
Here's what I did.....

http://youtu.be/qPzKiWf7-rg

Blackline Dash slightly modified to fit softail tank and seat configuration, homemade rocker bracket for all the instrumentation.
Just awesome.

Old 06-14-2013 | 09:29 AM
08Nighttrain
Road Master

Originally Posted by jreichart
Here's what I did.....

http://youtu.be/qPzKiWf7-rg

Blackline Dash slightly modified to fit softail tank and seat configuration, homemade rocker bracket for all the instrumentation.
Man that looks so clean and well done you should sell those bracket kits online. I like how clean the whole bike looks.

Old 06-14-2013 | 03:53 PM
jreichart
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by WhiteNoise
Just awesome.
Originally Posted by 08Nighttrain
Man that looks so clean and well done you should sell those bracket kits online. I like how clean the whole bike looks.
Thanks!

I have thought about that, been looking into options for getting the bracket machined at a reasonable cost. Making that bracket in my garage with basic shop tools is a time consuming project! I'd have to solve the low fuel light issue or eliminate the light completely. Just not sure what the market really is for something like this, and drafting the wiring diagram would be a bit of work too. Still, might make a good project for over the winter!

Old 06-15-2013 | 10:51 AM
JCP88
Advanced

@jreichart

Thanks so much, appreciate your time. I think its such a good looking mod and as a rookie in the fabrication department that was really helpful. I think I got this!

safe riding!

JP

Quick Reply: Lets see your dash