Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Made my first eBay purchase mistake... (re: Harley Part # 74676-07)

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 04:46 PM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Arrow Made my first eBay purchase mistake... (re: Harley Part # 74676-07)

I have been searching for months to try to find a good deal on a Harley Speedo/Tach combo. I found this one on eBay and after asking the seller how many miles were on it, he said "about 8,000". Ok, cool... my bike has 6500 so only 1500 difference is no big deal because I am not sure a dealer can even change it. They only made this model (74676-07) for one year from what I am reading but I like it better than the other one that is out there for my year (2007) that has the smaller tach on the right side of the speedo.

I get the speedo/tach today... I am STOKED to get it on. I plug it up... it has 20,010 miles on it. UGH!!!!! So now I either just deal with the mileage difference or see if anyone knows if a dealer can change these.

So ... it wasn't really a "mistake" because I love the Speedo/Tach combo and the way it looks. It looks very similar to the stock Speedo, but with a Tach at the bottom.

Anyone know if these can be changed? Here is the one I bought on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200887713347...84.m1423.l2649

Old 02-28-2013, 04:58 PM
Clayvis
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You need to ask an HD dealer. I think they are the only ones that can change it. Not sure they will since you did not buy it from them. You might just have to live with it. Or you can sell it to me! My 07 Fatty has 23,000 on it now...

Old 02-28-2013, 04:58 PM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts

That looks like the one for my '06 which don't seem to be available anymore... all you can buy are the ones with the small tach to the side I think.

I believe that you can take your old speedoh to the dealer and they can confirm your mileage then send this one in to have it re-calibrated at HD for a fee... in many states its the law that you do this anyway.

I don't have any direct experience with this, however, so I'm just supposing based upon what I have read elsewhere.

C#

Old 02-28-2013, 05:00 PM
FLYING_BURRITO_BROTHER
NOT A MODERATOR
Received 20,424 Likes on 7,999 Posts

Friggen bastard....misrepresenting the sale. I'd send it back and leave NEGATIVE feedback.

Old 02-28-2013, 05:03 PM
Clayvis
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYING_BURRITO_BROTHER
Friggen bastard....misrepresenting the sale. I'd send it back and leave NEGATIVE feedback.
Yup. Misrepresentation of Harley parts on Flea Bay is common.

Old 02-28-2013, 05:13 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,803 Likes on 9,866 Posts

Would love to find one for mine! There is a guy on EBay that says he does it on exchange.
I'm probably going to end up with a Dakota Digital.

Old 02-28-2013, 05:14 PM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by cwsharp
That looks like the one for my '06 which don't seem to be available anymore... all you can buy are the ones with the small tach to the side I think.

I believe that you can take your old speedoh to the dealer and they can confirm your mileage then send this one in to have it re-calibrated at HD for a fee... in many states its the law that you do this anyway.

I don't have any direct experience with this, however, so I'm just supposing based upon what I have read elsewhere.

C#
Ahhhh...that makes sense! If I take my stock one in and they verify the mileage, I would think they could send it off to get it changed. I will probably just have to be without it for a few weeks, which is fine in order to get it right.

Although, even with 20k miles on it, that really isn't very many for an 07 if I ever wanted to sell the bike. I would always knows the engine actually has about 14k less than it states.

Old 02-28-2013, 05:14 PM
harleyheaven
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would first see if the dealer can in fact change the mileage. I believe they will only do this on a new unit. In other words, if you purchased a new unit and wanted it set to your current mileage.

If the dealer will not change it I would contact the seller about the misrepresented mileage. If you are inclined to keep the unit maybe they will give you some money back? Often sellers will do this to prevent returns and having to re-list the item? If they will not make it right ebay has a resolution procedure you can go through and you can also leave a negative feedback. Does the seller have good feedback? You do not have to just take it. Hope this helps.

Old 02-28-2013, 05:15 PM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by FLYING_BURRITO_BROTHER
Yep, his 100% feedback is about to go down....he is definitely getting negative feedback. He would have been better off by just telling me he didn't know the mileage, because obviously he didnt.

Old 02-28-2013, 05:18 PM
elizer
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you paid via paypal and you have copies of your conversation paypal will refund it.
Ebay will do the same.

Quick Reply: Made my first eBay purchase mistake... (re: Harley Part # 74676-07)