Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrading Exhaust and Intake..tuner?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013 | 09:22 AM
Sandbox
|
Intermediate
Default Upgrading Exhaust and Intake..tuner?

I'm getting ready to purchase a full exhaust and stage 1 intake for my '12 Deluxe.

I have heard that a tuner is not necessary, but is reccomended. Does anyone know what should be done for best performance. What tuner would you reccomend, I've been looking at the Dynojet Power Commander V.

Thanks

Old 02-27-2013 | 09:26 AM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member

i run a PCV in my 2010 Lo, and i was running one of the 'stock' DynoJet maps downloaded from their site..bike ran good, still had some decel popping.. then i finally had it properly tuned. that's when she opened up and started running like a summmamabitch. literally scared me when i hit the throttle after the tune.. immediate difference.

point is.. whatever fuel tuner you go with (and the PCV is great, but not the only one out there), you'll get the most benefit from getting it properly tuned.

is it required? no, but HD tunes their bikes lean from the dealer, and adding more air and more exhaust while keeping the same fuel will just make it lean-er..so it's recommended to get one so your engine runs the way it should

Old 02-27-2013 | 09:27 AM
elizer
Road Captain

I would get a tuner. Your bike would benefit from it. One or the other you would be fine without a tuner but with both tuner is a good idea.

I've had a pcv on my dyna, but on my Slim i have a power vision. Only thing is that it marries to the bike, but otherwise you dont have to have it under ur seat and is really user friendly.

Old 02-27-2013 | 12:26 PM
Sandbox
|
Intermediate

How hard is it to install these things myself? I've been looking at Denniskirk to purchase, but I don't know much about the tuning. Just contact Dynojet, or is there somewhere better?

Old 02-27-2013 | 12:51 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Sandbox
How hard is it to install these things myself? I've been looking at Denniskirk to purchase, but I don't know much about the tuning. Just contact Dynojet, or is there somewhere better?
If you decide to use a Power Commander or Powervision buy it from Fuelmotousa.com. They are a forum sponsor and will pre load a map for you bike and parts you add. They also offer the best prices a double your warranty. Best customer service around. BTW they are both easy to install yourself.

Old 02-27-2013 | 01:15 PM
terrazzc
4th Gear

i originally had the vance and hines on my 12 slim but it always changes settings. had it replaced twice and still changed. Went with the SE race tuner and will never look back.

Old 02-27-2013 | 01:24 PM
2003Custom1200
Tourer

Newer Bikes, the SERT or the new Power Vision seems to be the way to go.

These Tuners, Flash the ECM instead of being a piggyback system.

IMO these are way safer, no chance of failure. And with a good dyno tune or someone familiar with the software, you gain full potential of your bike.

I rode by bike with intake/pipes for an afternoon before it went for a tune. and after i got it back, was night and day difference

Old 02-27-2013 | 02:49 PM
olongapo1
Road Master

I have experience with several different tuners. If you're looking for a DIY tuner, Harley's SERT or their Pro Race is not the way to go. To achieve full benefits from these devices, a dyno should be utilized. The SERT and the Pro Race do not have the capability to save the base map and it can only be reloaded by a Dealer if necessary. If however you're having your bike tuned by a Dealer or Performance shop, by all means, consider the Harley tuners.

For the home wrench'er, I recommend; Thundermax, Power Vision or the Power Commander. The Thundermax is the more costly of the three but it replaces the stock ECM.

Old 02-27-2013 | 04:22 PM
Sandbox
|
Intermediate

Thanks for all the feedback.

I checked out the Fuelmoto website, once I can decide on an exhaust system I think I'll give them a call to iron out the details.

Old 02-27-2013 | 05:50 PM
steamybob
Tourer

Originally Posted by Sandbox
Find a trustworthy Indy who knows his stuff - O.K., you're deeper into the wallet but you won't regret it.

Quick Reply: Upgrading Exhaust and Intake..tuner?