Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too Loud

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 04:16 PM
andyandtherman
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Too Loud

Hi Guys, I just purchased a 99' Softail Custom that's had substantial work done to it, mostly cosmetic. I like the bike quite a lot as it's different from my BMW S100RR sport bike as well as my Suzuki DR650 dual purpose. My only complaint is that the V+H pipes are way too loud. I leave for work @ 5am and I don't like being "that guy" in the neighborhood. I opened the backs up on them and there seemed to be a baffle in each pipe, but they had no wrap on them nor did they pull out to be examined so I can't be sure. Any suggestions on how I can quiet it down even just a little without reverting to a stock pipe setup or splurging for a new set of pipes? Thanks Andy

Attached Thumbnails Too Loud-1-26-2013-302.jpg  

Last edited by andyandtherman; 02-26-2013 at 04:45 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:23 PM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Nice bike. Very subtle, which I think is the best look for a Harley.

VH makes a quiet baffle that is pre-packed. If that's what you have in your pipes and the packing was just removed, you can get the VH repack material from a place like Dennis Kirk.

If you need quiet baffles themselves, D. Kirk has those also. You're gonna have to figure out which ones work with your bike.

All this said, I have well packed quiet baffles in my VH slip ons, and they are still a loud pipe. (Not idiot loud, just loud enough to sound like a Harley).

The well-packed VH quiet baffles will let you drop a few dbs. But mostly, they make the note deeper, and more tasteful to the ear. That Harley rumble, so to speak.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:53 PM
SprungDave
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

What?!? I can't hear you over the sound of my bike!!

In all seriousness, try going to your local Cyclegear (or equivalent) and for less than $10 they have a package of fiberglass baffle wrap fabric made just for what yours is missing. It will help, but it will not make your bike quiet. V&H does make "quiet baffles" but they are not quiet by any means either.

You may just have to be "that guy." You can always put-put it out of the neighborhood. That is what I do on late nights or early mornings.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:45 PM
blindrocket
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They say if it's too loud then you're too old.

However, I also go to work before 6AM and feel pretty bad about warming up my Night Train for five minutes.

With my EFI Iron, I could basically roll her out to the road, start and get out of there. haha

Old 02-26-2013, 05:53 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,802 Likes on 9,866 Posts

I leave at 5 A.M. myself and just putt-putt out of the neighborhood. I have asked all the neighbors that could be affected and none have complained, yet. I also don't act stupid at that time of day, either.
http://images.motorcycle-superstore....Steel_Grey.jpg

Old 02-26-2013, 07:02 PM
Mill908
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont think i hurd you correctly, did you say too loud, I was unaware there was such a thing. People up my way love trying to kill anything on two wheels with their cars, I like knowing they are at least looking around try to see where the noise is comming from. Oh and my neighbours are all stuck up prisses, that like to cut there grass at 0530 on Saturdays so at 0600 i let them know I am leaving 5 days a week.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:41 PM
jam436
Supporter
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Mill908
I dont think i hurd you correctly, did you say too loud, I was unaware there was such a thing. People up my way love trying to kill anything on two wheels with their cars, I like knowing they are at least looking around try to see where the noise is comming from. Oh and my neighbours are all stuck up prisses, that like to cut there grass at 0530 on Saturdays so at 0600 i let them know I am leaving 5 days a week.
..maybe that's why they're trying to kill anything on two wheels...

Old 02-26-2013, 09:02 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 774 Likes on 469 Posts

you might be able to find some type of "stock" exhaust. That will probably be as quite as you'll get, but even that will be loud compared to most metric bikes.

The V&H quite baffle will only drop your volume about 3 dB but it does in fact deepen the sound which I think makes the sound less annoying.

My neighbor has a '97 carb'd with open exhaust and when he leaves in the morning he just fires it up and "putts" out of the neighborhood.

As for me and my V&H staggered straight shots, I work from home so my commute doesn't involved me firing up the beast.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:29 AM
elizer
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As much as i hate doing it i too lug the crap out of my engine when i go in and out my neighborhood. I'm one of the younger people in my neighborhood so a lot of the old timers have harley's or suzuki in their garage.

Mill908 u should check for noise ordinances for the lawn mowing

Old 02-27-2013, 07:34 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Originally Posted by QC
I leave at 5 A.M. myself and just putt-putt out of the neighborhood. I have asked all the neighbors that could be affected and none have complained, yet. I also don't act stupid at that time of day, either.
http://images.motorcycle-superstore....Steel_Grey.jpg
I did the same. All my neighbors are cool with it. A few even consider it an early morning alarm. Bikes beed down for a few months and had two neighbors ask what happened as they got used to the morning wake up.

OP look into a good 2 into 1 pipe.

Quick Reply: Too Loud