Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why Do Salesmen Steer Me Away From The Deluxe?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 03:58 PM
RT66
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Why Do Salesmen Steer Me Away From The Deluxe?

Been to three dealers looking at the 103 softails. Salesmen at all three told me I should get the Heritage Classic, saying it had the "goodies on it" as standard equipment. Even though the Deluxe feels better. Can JUST get my feet ALMOST flat on the HC and can do this comfortably on the Deluxe. I would think they would WANT me to get the Deluxe and sell me the extras also. Being a short, fat, old guy. have no problem with the Deluxe as being a...well that is a thread that has been beat to death. So, enlighten me o'great ones of the road.

Thanks

PS: tried a search of this topic and only got the girl bike BS.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:04 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,411 Likes on 2,032 Posts

Its because they can sell the Deluxe any day. They have to push the Heritage to get rid of them now. Get the one YOU want and ignore the salesman.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:08 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I would flat out tell them to get bent. You know what bike you want and have sat on a few to see what fits you. I would give them one chance and if they pushed me towards another model I would walk out, but first I would let the sales guy and manager know why I am not doing business with them.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:10 PM
aaamax
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by perki48
Its because they can sell the Deluxe any day. They have to push the Heritage to get rid of them now. Get the one YOU want and ignore the salesman.
That sounds right. I NEVER trust the dealers for ANYTHING. Save the $$ and get a nice older bike that has been taken care of and find an inde shop to help you take care of it. Stay away from dealers and you'll be a happy camper.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:14 PM
DynaJ
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Lol...a girls bike that always cracks me up. Pretty simple but what you want or go some where else.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:23 PM
CountryD
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I had a Dealer in my home town tell me that the Deluxe was a Girls harley. A year later, I went back to that same dealer and showed him my "Girl's" bike. OP, get what you want, the hell with Dealers. Its your COIN, get what you like and dont look back. To hell with HATERs.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:25 PM
Smileman
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Deluxe is the best retro looking bike on the road. If it fits your body type it will also be the easiest for you to handle. You officially have the HD Forum approval to tell your dealer to shove the Heritage where the sun don't shine and write up the paperwork for the Deluxe before you walk out and buy it elsewhere. OK? Good. Now post some pics of your smiling face on that bike ASAP!

P.S. CountryD--Great job on the bike. It's a true work of art.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:30 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

It's simple to drop the Heritage down an inch to the seat height of a Deluxe. Other than that the only differences are cosmetic and of course $$$.

So it basically comes down to what look you like and how much money you want to spend. My wife chose the Deluxe and I think if I had it to go over, I would get a Deluxe too (even though it's a girl's bike)

Actually I kind of wish I had started out with a RK or Streetglide. Then I wouldn't have ever known how comfortable a softail was.

Edit:
Of course if you are really heavy or carry a passenger you might appreciate the extra inch of shock travel on the Heritage.

Last edited by jimmers1817; 02-26-2013 at 05:26 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:32 PM
Midgard
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get the Deluxe, but get it from a dealer that listens to what you have to say (important rule in sales is listening to the customer)

On a side note -- Country, your bike is sick, i know i have said it b4 but had to say it again lol Every time I see your bike I like it more!!

Originally Posted by CountryD

Old 02-26-2013, 04:32 PM
kneesinthebreeze
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I would not give them the chance to steer you in any direction. Go in with the price you would like to pay and tell them what you want and if they will not work with you walk away. I went to 5 dealerships before I found the one who I bought my bike from. They were the last one I tried and by far had the best customer service.

I bought a 2013 Deluxe and I could not be more satisfied with my decision.

Quick Reply: Why Do Salesmen Steer Me Away From The Deluxe?