Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ECM, PV and Exhaust note (sound)

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 04:56 PM
HDFan0611
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECM, PV and Exhaust note (sound)

First of all, let me say that Im new to motorcycles and also HD Forums, I bought a Rocker C, 2008 a months ago and add a stage 1 kit to it (V&H 2 in 2 big radius, HD Heavy breather cone shape and PV) the previous owner of the bike had the exhaust but did not tune it for it...I added the breather and PV, flashed a custom map to it (provided with the tuner) and so far I have auto tune it 4 times...(to cold to ride)

Now my question is, does the ECM "controls" for lack of a better word the sound/note of the exhaust? The day that I got the bike, the exhaust was loud, not crazy or obnoxious, but I like the sound of it...then after finishing the stage 1 and auto tune it...I notice the exhaust are not as loud...

I've searched several forums, HD Threads, google... and found different answers, like:

1- "the tune will not affect the sound of the exhaust. The exhaust note is mechanical, essentially a direct effect of the exhaust and baffle design."

2- "Loud meant overly lean. Faster flame propagation with a lean fuel mixture and higher pressures = faster/higher exhaust exiting from exhaust pipe = louder exhaust sound."

3- "The exhaust note will change based on the tune , lean or rich."

So I need your help... Can I change a map and make it lean in certain areas to increase the note of the exhaust? or the exhaust note is mechanical?

Thanks.

Old 02-22-2013, 05:10 PM
F117ewo
Cruiser

I don't think the tuning will alter the exhaust note much at all. There is some effect, as a rich running engine will sound slightly different, but I find very little difference. The exhaust is more of a function of the exhaust system and cam.

Jake

Old 02-22-2013, 07:19 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah.. adding/removing fuel will change things, but not necessarily in a good way, especially for your motor.. If you want to change the sound of the exhaust, you can always try different baffles.

Go on ebay and search "Harley Baffles", find something like these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/8747001-1-3-...item5653123c03

..but for the correct diameter pipe. Get ones that are at least 12" long, put them in, run them for a little while, if you don't liek them, take them out, and take a hacksaw to them and make them 10" long, reinsert them, run it again.. do it again and again until you find something you like.. for $8, how can you go wrong?

Old 02-22-2013, 08:07 PM
Uncle Chester
Extreme HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 139 Posts

Dude this is the 4'th thread you have started in a week asking this same damn question. Even after you got a response from Fuelmoto you are keeping it up. If you just told everybody what answer you wanted to hear you might hear it sooner.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:18 PM
HDFan0611
Road Captain

Well the reason I started another thread is that I got no answers in two of the threads...and HD members gave me the opposite answer from FM. So I'm trying to get more info.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:21 PM
HDFan0611
Road Captain

Sgt Jim, thank u for the info...I looked at the link from ebay...I have a 2 in 2 V&H big radius exhaust, do I need baffles that have the same shape as the exhaust?

Old 02-22-2013, 08:23 PM
Uncle Chester
Extreme HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 139 Posts

I know I would trust fuelmoto way more than random dudes online, but that's just me.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:50 PM
HDFan0611
Road Captain

ok...thank you for the input, one more thing... SGT Jim suggested to add baffles to the exhaust, but I thought baffles were used to reduce the note, not to increase it, right? I just notice that if someone has a loud exhaust some guys ask if they have remove the baffles...

Old 02-22-2013, 09:18 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay, before this turns into a flame war and this thread gets locked..

1) If you open your old thread and post any message to it (i.e. people will just post the word "bump"), the thread will move back to the top of the list, and probably get noticed again.

2) Perhaps I misunderstood what you're looking for. Do you want your exhaust as loud as possible? Or are you wondering if you're correct in that you heard the exhaust tone changed? Depending on the baffles, it will change the tone of the exhaust, but not quiet them down as much as you'd think

If the former, you won't get much louder than running without baffles, but with the BR2-2's, it will have a very metaly-raspy sound to it.. It may be to your liking, but personally I think it doesn't give the bike that quality sound that comes with an HD. You'd have to make your tuner throw more fuel in to the engine.

If the latter, yes, changing how much fuel is burning has definitely changed your exhaust note.

Will drag-baffles fit your pipes? No. You would have to do one of 2 things:
1) Bend the drag-baffles to the proper curve to fit in the pipe
2) Take your stock baffles (or buy another set), and start hacking at those. the stock baffles pretty much look like the drag baffles, they're just curved.

This image is from another thread in this forum, shows the stock baffle and a Big City Thunder Baffle for the BRs ($80 from bigcitythunder.com)

and here's the thread:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...ification.html

Old 02-22-2013, 09:50 PM
HDFan0611
Road Captain

OK, thank you for for the tip on moving a thread to the top.

Well the main reason all these threads started was that before I add a Stage 1 Kit my V&H 2 in 2 exhaust were loud (good loud for my taste, a low rumble, what most Harley's are know for, not obnoxious) but now that I added a tuner to it and did some auto tunes, the AFR is not as lean as before, which is good, the bike feels cooler, and feels stronger and has more power...but the note has decrease...and I was just wondering since the PV has a lot of options in tuning, if I can just change the AFR when the bike was in first gear, on a stop light or in idle...just a simple question. Like you said I don't want this thread to turn into a big thing...I seen some with 500 pages or more...

Also my exhaust were installed the way they were shipped, I believe they have the baffles in them...I did not remove them. I thought all pipes had baffles and you can remove them to make it louder or change them to reduce the note. Sorry if I'm wrong...just learning.

I appreciate all your input, i will continue to do more auto tunes and see how it feels...

Quick Reply: ECM, PV and Exhaust note (sound)