Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ECM, PV and Exhaust note (sound)

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 09:56 PM
HDFan0611
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also I just read the Big City Thunder Baffle, now Im getting the idea/understanding of the baffles..thanks.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:58 PM
HDFan0611
Road Captain

I will do more ATs and don't mess with the map tables...and if after several ATs I'm not happy with the note of it...then I will look into changing the baffles...thank you again.

Old 02-23-2013, 06:34 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

My guess is that your tune advances the timing at idle, compared to the stock tune. You could try retarding the timing at idle, which will cause the engine to "labor" more, giving a punchier exhaust sound.

If you have access to an old distributor car, you can experiment by rotating the distributor while idling to get a sense of how the timing changes change the sound.

You can also get the engine to "labor" more (noisier) by having the idle mixture way off (although it shouldn't be far off on the stock tune). Again, you can get a sense of what this does to the sound by experimenting on an older car with idle mixture screws on the carburetor.

Let us know what Fuelmoto has to say about these things.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:23 AM
F117ewo
Cruiser

I'm running the BCT baffles and they are an improvement over the stock baffles in the SE II pipes. The note at idle is terrific.

Jake

Old 02-23-2013, 08:02 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts

Mine changed how it sounded but not necessarily volume. The difference was between too lean and richer with more power so the exhaust note changed to 'throatier' vs. starting at 'bubbly' is the only way I can describe it. When it ran better it sounded better is another way to say it.

My ECM does not change the timing with autotune... it changes the AFR if I am not mistaken. You have to manually alter the timing or change the timing at original setup. The autotune will respond to timing changes by still trying to get the AFR to meet the target AFR. You can change the AFR manually and as the autotune learns the new curve, the sound will change.

I wouldn't recommend tuning for sound. I would recommend tuning for performance. You can visit the tuning secitons of this forum (and the one in Harleytech, a different forum that doesn't have ads popping up on every picture) and get some guidance and help there. People post the curves that they are using for different equipment and even put stuff on youtube. It was a great help to me and I have learned a lot in the process. I am very happy with what I have now but with the pipes that I have it wasn't easy getting there. Patience and persistence were the key, all of which could probably have been shortcut by using a dyno tune.

C#