Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Late model fender thickness and fitment???

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013 | 07:02 AM
bikerlaw
|
Ultimate HDF Member
Default Late model fender thickness and fitment???

I just damaged the rear fender on my 2005 Fat Boy. I can either fix it or replace it. Its probably less work for me to buy a new fender and paint it. I have heard on two occasions now, that at some point in the past 6 or so years, that Harley increased the thickness of the metal on the rear fenders. Can someone confirm that this is true or false?

If its true, what year did they switch to the thicker metal? Also, will a later year rear fender bolt directly to my 2005, or would there be cutting, grinding, drilling or the real killer, widening issues? I don't mind drilling a couple holes, but if the newer fenders are a different width, then a 2005 style is all I will use. I'm just not that good of a painter any more.

I may even use this opportunity to swap to a Heritage or Deluxe style rear fender to run the fender mounted turn signals, but I need to know the fitment first. So please, anyone with info about the fitment or metal thickness of the newer fenders please chime in.

Old 02-16-2013 | 07:36 AM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
I just damaged the rear fender on my 2005 Fat Boy. I can either fix it or replace it. Its probably less work for me to buy a new fender and paint it. I have heard on two occasions now, that at some point in the past 6 or so years, that Harley increased the thickness of the metal on the rear fenders. Can someone confirm that this is true or false?.
Not sure if I can help you much, at least give you a bump.
They changed the width of the tire, "I believe" in 07 and the width of the fender.
I have not heard that they changed the thickness of the metal, that does not sound like Harley to make something better;-) maybe they were talking about the width and calling it thickness?

Old 02-16-2013 | 01:29 PM
bikerlaw
|
Ultimate HDF Member

Thanks. Yeah, a late model Fat Boy fender won't work, but I am hoping a deluxe or heritage might. If, and that's the deal, if its a bolt on AND its thicker metal. Otherwise I have to figure out what I want to do. Probablly just buy a another fender that's a direct fit.

Old 02-16-2013 | 03:24 PM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
Thanks. Yeah, a late model Fat Boy fender won't work, but I am hoping a deluxe or heritage might. If, and that's the deal, if its a bolt on AND its thicker metal. Otherwise I have to figure out what I want to do. Probablly just buy a another fender that's a direct fit.
Well the Newer Heritage and the Deluxe both have the wider rear wheel on them also, so.. I don't believe they will fit.
How bad is the fender banged up? Personally I would rather do a little body work than start with a bare fender. I have picked them up pretty cheap on e-bay, and you can get some in very good shape and not even have to paint if you want to pay the price.

Old 02-16-2013 | 05:09 PM
bikerlaw
|
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Harleycruiser
How bad is the fender banged up? .
No bad. Its more creased than anything. Creased at the struts from backing into a curb. Totally fixable. The biggest "**** me off" is the dents that are appearing from my Mustang aftermarket passenger pillion. Most seats simply rest on the fender. The entire base of the seat pan disperses the riders weight. The Mustang pillion sits atop 4 rubber perches. My wife is a fatty and between here weight and those 4 perches, I now have dents in my fender where they contact.

So when I bent the fender yesterday, I thought I would use the opportunity to upgrade to a thicker unit if one exists. The wafer thin metal the MOCO uses on this fender is embarrassing to say the least, and if they make a thicker fender, I would rather paint and install it than continue to deal with this one.

Old 02-16-2013 | 05:50 PM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member

Yea the metal is pretty thin, I am sure they want to keep the weight down;-)