Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Springer problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013 | 09:31 PM
blastonerski
|
Road Master
Default Springer problem

So i installed a Springer front end to my 2011 Softail Deluxe. The front end is off a 2005 Springer Classic. It's the one powdercoated in black.

So today, i had a Progressive rear lowering kit installed at a H-D dealership. The tech took it out for a test ride, everything went well, i only lowered it 1" but then he noticed that the Springer front end was running rigid...the rockers were not moving at all and that no bounce was happening. He figured that it wasn't adjusted properly.

So he adjusted it to spec BUT everytime the front brakes were applied the rockers would freeze and lockup. He then re-adjusted it to spec. Again, once the front brakes were applied, the rockers would lock up.

I left the bike at Harley. They qouted me 2-3 hours to adjust the Springer but 6 hours later they are still trying to fix it.

What do you guys think is wrong? Any suggestions?

Old 02-15-2013 | 09:41 PM
Rakthi
Road Warrior

Could it be the convoluted contraption that holds the front calliper needs adjusting too?

Another solution could be to upgrade the right rocker to the one used on the Xbones.

(just throwing out some ideas here ...)

Old 02-15-2013 | 10:38 PM
blastonerski
|
Road Master

Thanks Rakthi! Do you think the front caliper has something to do with it?

Also, does the Xbones rocker different than mines? Man, how much will that cost?? LOL

Originally Posted by Rakthi
Could it be the convoluted contraption that holds the front calliper needs adjusting too?

Another solution could be to upgrade the right rocker to the one used on the Xbones.

(just throwing out some ideas here ...)

Old 02-15-2013 | 11:56 PM
Rakthi
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by blastonerski
Thanks Rakthi! Do you think the front caliper has something to do with it?

Also, does the Xbones rocker different than mines? Man, how much will that cost?? LOL
When I replaced the Xbones fender, I tightened up the acorn nut on the top (the one with the arrow pointing to it) too much and my rockers were no longer that co-operative ... So yes that linkage can have something to do with the movement of the rockers ...

As for the right side rocker on the Xbones, it has a bushing that sticks out and prevents you from "bending" the right hand rocker when tightening the axle nut. There are pictures posted by colonelangus that shows that bushing in this post:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/7708755-post112.html
You will also need a new spacer to go over that bushing as the original one will not fit. Guess you would have to do the same as us, and cut the Xbones fender strut ...

Xbones Fork Rocker right : Part number : 46659-08 : $216

Xbones fender strut: Part number: 48077-08 : $110

Anyway, I'm sure the guys at the dealer will sort you out without you having to spend money on more parts.

Attached Thumbnails Springer problem-caliper.jpg  

Last edited by Rakthi; 02-15-2013 at 11:57 PM. Reason: Forgot the pic
Old 02-16-2013 | 09:45 AM
SprungDave
Road Warrior

I think Rakthi is leading you to ask all the right questions. Since you are doing a swap, you have a front end that may need new bushings. And of course needs the bushings to be set at the right torque and lubed properly. I would suspect there is at least one bushing that is either in need of lubrication and/or in need or replacement and/or in need of torquing. I would also suspect that a spacer has been omitted or assembled in the wrong orientation.

Our front ends work very well, but it has to be assembled and maintained carefully. Some of the bushings and spacers must be oriented properly and assembled/torqued in the right order for it to work properly. Those are two things that home mechanics (and often dealer mechanics) miss the first time around. On our front ends, that can result in damaged bushings and spacers, necessitating replacement of those consumables.

Since you have a Springer Classic front end, you should have all the right parts for installing the Springer Classic front fender. But, when it comes to buying used parts, you never know....

Old 02-16-2013 | 10:13 AM
blastonerski
|
Road Master

Thanks Rakthi & SprungDave!

Another dude told me that it might be a "powdercoat" issue???

Originally Posted by SprungDave
I think Rakthi is leading you to ask all the right questions. Since you are doing a swap, you have a front end that may need new bushings. And of course needs the bushings to be set at the right torque and lubed properly. I would suspect there is at least one bushing that is either in need of lubrication and/or in need or replacement and/or in need of torquing. I would also suspect that a spacer has been omitted or assembled in the wrong orientation.

Our front ends work very well, but it has to be assembled and maintained carefully. Some of the bushings and spacers must be oriented properly and assembled/torqued in the right order for it to work properly. Those are two things that home mechanics (and often dealer mechanics) miss the first time around. On our front ends, that can result in damaged bushings and spacers, necessitating replacement of those consumables.

Since you have a Springer Classic front end, you should have all the right parts for installing the Springer Classic front fender. But, when it comes to buying used parts, you never know....

Old 02-17-2013 | 01:16 PM
KYRyder
Novice
Talking

Rakthi & SprungDave have put out some very good suggestions. I can't see powdercoating affecting the front end that way, unless there ARE missing bushings, spacers, or inadequate lubrication. The rockers can be finicky, and I learned the hard way (tearing my front end apart to rebuild it - I'm cheap!). Unfortunately, it seems a lot of HD mechanics don't know much about these bikes anymore - even given the recent Crossbones. Last time I went to the local dealer for service (over 2 yrs ago) they told me that most of their guys don't know much about Evos or springers, and don't do too much work on "old stuff". So, don't take their word for it all.

The lowering the rear should not affect it at all. Investigate the already suggested possibilities, and if that still doesn't fix it, and the dealer can't ascertain what the problem is, I would suggest buying a repair manual, taking the bike home (or to a trusted friend's garage) and doing it yourself. You'll learn more about the intricacies of the springer front end, and will save some serious $$$!

Good luck - keep us posted when you figure it out.