Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEW Springer Bars

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 10:31 AM
KYRyder
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW Springer Bars

Hey gang -

Well, it's been almost a year since I got my '99 Springer, and I still love it! I appreciate everyone's feedback from last spring about different bar options and modifications, and about 10 months ago, I finally got things sorted out how I like them.

Being tall, I needed to have a higher rise, but really wanted a knuckle bar look (besides, I am used to drag bars, and LOVE that position). So, I decided that if I can't find what I want, I'll make it fit. Ordered some 1.25" knuckle bars, and some 1.25", 8" tall risers, got a couple six-packs, and called a few buddies over to do some work. Of course, things didn't bolt on as easily as we had anticipated, and the inside diameter of the risers was MUCH to small to accomodate the bolt that needed to go through them and mount to the Springer fort. At this point, we should have waited and found a place where we could use a drill press, but instead we grabbed a pipe wrench, a hammer drill, a table-top vice, and a very large drill bit, and proceeded to wrestle with 8" of aluminum bar stock. A few busted knuckles and some scratched chrome later, on went the risers.

Now I've got a wide (36") set of bars up 8" and back 2" (perfect for me), and solidly mounted to the forks (no bouncing or wobble). Combine that with the new springs and bushing we put on last April, and The General Earl VanDorn rides like it is on rails!

Sorry about my long post, but I figured anyone in a similar situation may find it interesting. Here are some before, during, and after photos.

Ride on,

Ben

Attached Thumbnails NEW Springer Bars-old-hbs1.jpg   NEW Springer Bars-old-hbs2.jpg   NEW Springer Bars-mock-up1.jpg   NEW Springer Bars-new-hbs1.jpg  
Old 02-15-2013, 02:53 PM
Bradley Jones
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got basically the same setup. 5 inch risers cut down on the lathe a tad so they just clear the console. My bars don't have any rise just pull back though and angled em down a bit

Old 02-15-2013, 03:00 PM
Bradley Jones
Outstanding HDF Member

Btw was it a pain in the nutz tightening down the risers and keeping em inline so the bars fit in properly? When mocking mine up I thought it was gonna be but they went right on perfect then I powdercoated everything and had to do it again and I must have gotten lucky the first time cause it took me a few tries after that lol. Not as easy as a one piece bar clamp.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:06 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tighten the bars to the risers first with the risers snug to the triple tree.
Then tighten the risers.
It's how I did my Carlini "Boob" risers.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:31 PM
Bradley Jones
Outstanding HDF Member

Mine tightened from the top down thru where the bars clamp. Being a springer I couldn't tighten from the bottom like traditional forks.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:38 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Didn't know that. That would make it tougher to align them.

Old 02-17-2013, 01:21 PM
KYRyder
Novice

SICK looking ride, Bradley.

Yes, it was a complete PITA to get those risers to line up so that I could mount the bar, but only on the right riser. Had to restart it about 4-5 times. It was almost as much of a pain to find strength-rated bolts that would thread into the springer fork - had to drive up to Maysville, KY and visit Fastenal (who happened to have some from a special order that was never picked up - I bought them all!). Four hours, one tank of gas, and about $85 later (had to buy my date lunch) I was back at work on the bike.

Ah well, it all makes for good stories, right???

Old 02-17-2013, 05:29 PM
weelo88
Cruiser

Looks awesome, what did you do with the stock risers? Been wanting to swap out my stock fx springer risers for the fl ones so I have more bar and less riser

Old 02-17-2013, 05:52 PM
KYRyder
Novice

I tossed the old risers to a friend, weelo - otherwise, I'd be happy to swap ya.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:12 AM
weelo88
Cruiser

It was worth a try, still looks good!