Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting noticed

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013 | 10:47 PM
skiddd
|
Supporter
Default Getting noticed

I have just recently got back on a bike after 24 years, I bought a used 2000 FLSTC Heitage Softail Classic in July of 2012(always wanted one since I saw my cousins 1989. My last bike was a 1977 Super Glide) anyway I cannot believe the amount of ******** ON THE ROAD since having my last bike, it was not this bad as I remember. I don't have super loud pipes(screaming eagle 2's) I have halogen headlights and running lights(going to HID soon) and a stock horn. I drive in site of mirrors and try and let myself be seen, what do you all do to make the idiot texting, talking, shaving, applying makeup, etc SEE YOU...............? its F-ing dangerous out there....... I have had 2 incidents where I was almost hit if it were not for me predicting it, I will not say what I did for revenge...........

Old 02-14-2013 | 11:05 PM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member

Proceed as if you were invisible. Accept that you are not going to be seen and do not be mad when you are right. Two weeks ago a teenager died in my town because he rear ended a stopped semi trailer. If other drivers can not see something that big, there is nothing you can do except be ready.

Old 02-14-2013 | 11:13 PM
skiddd
|
Supporter

Originally Posted by NDBadlands4-2
Proceed as if you were invisible. Accept that you are not going to be seen and do not be mad when you are right. Two weeks ago a teenager died in my town because he rear ended a stopped semi trailer. If other drivers can not see something that big, there is nothing you can do except be ready.

That's sad man, sorry to read that.............

Old 02-14-2013 | 11:21 PM
2003Custom1200
Tourer

I was side swiped qbout 5 years ago. Luckily it was at ahout 25 mph and I tried to escape soon enough and avoided major damage. Walked away and only bent bars and a rim and broken clutch lever... lady was missing pass side mirror and made a right turn into a gas station frm the left lane of a 2 lane road.

I was lucky.

Since then our state has vowed to crack down on loud pipes on motorcycles. Which I have nothing against it as long as u ride sensible. My Deuce has v&h bss which produce a decent sound at idle and at crusing speed. But when necessary if u have to open it up to make urself known u can. Have done it several times just a quick rev and people noticed..

Bright lights, loud horns help but as they say. Loud Pipes save Lives.

Old 02-15-2013 | 08:28 AM
jam436
Supporter

Originally Posted by skiddd
...anyway I cannot believe the amount of ******** ON THE ROAD since having my last bike, it was not this bad as I remember.
I blame a lot of this on cell phones.
You just want to holler at these idiots "Hang the fugg up and drive, you're not that important!"
I swear, I've stood in my yard and watched cars go by, and half of them are playing with their electronics.

I added aux. lights to the front and LED's all around.
They're blinding bright even in daylight. And +1 on LOUD pipes.
Other than that I don't know what else you can do to get the attention of teenagers and soccer moms yakking away and completely oblivious to the rest of the world.

I stay away from people, allow plenty of room, stay out of their blind spots, use your mirrors, always slow down while traveling next to a lane full of cars, and I expect them to not see me and pull out anyway, etc.
I give even more room to a car that's already wrecked...

You're on your own out there...

Old 02-15-2013 | 08:51 AM
jreichart
Road Warrior

Personally, I ride like I am the invisible man. No one can see me, and I expect everyone to be an idiot. Pay close attention to everything around you, and learn to read situations before they become a danger. YOU AND ONLY YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR SAFETY! IMO, all these lights and reflectors fool riders into a false sense of security. News flash, you could put stadium lighting on the front of your bike, and you will still be in danger of not being seen. Period. No amount of noise/lighting/horns is a substitute for riding skill and overall situational awareness. Defensive/reactionary riding will get you killed. Ride with a controlled aggression, a little faster than the average traffic, put other vehicles where you want them to be. For example, if you are constantly getting passed on the highway you are not in control of your surroundings and you should speed up. There are situations that result in accidents that are completely out of our control. It happens. But, most motorcycle accidents could be avoided by better situational awareness and overall skill, not big bright lights and loud pipes. Don't rely on inanimate objects to save your ***.

A few simple rules:

1. Ride faster than traffic
2. Never hang next to any vehicle, either pass or fall behind if need be
3. Every vehicle at every intersection is going to cut you off
4. Expect every vehicle to change lanes right in front of you, see #2
5. That car approaching behind you at a light will rear end you. Leave a little space and watch him in your mirrors.
6. Your throttle will get you out of more situations safely than your brakes ever will.

Sounds like a lot of work? It is, but your life is probably worth it. Once you've done it for awhile though, it becomes second nature. It will greatly improve your cage driving skills as well.

Rant over, sorry, just can't stand it when I hear "I've had x close calls since I got my bike, I think my headlight might be too dim". Doubt it's the headlight that's too dim. I have a black bike, wear dark clothes, no reflectors, one stock headlight and no turn signals. Only a few close calls, all due to inattention on my part.

Last edited by jreichart; 02-15-2013 at 09:56 AM.
Old 02-15-2013 | 09:02 AM
skiddd
|
Supporter

Originally Posted by jam436
I blame a lot of this on cell phones.
You just want to holler at these idiots "Hang the fugg up and drive, you're not that important!"
I swear, I've stood in my yard and watched cars go by, and half of them are playing with their electronics.

I added aux. lights to the front and LED's all around.
They're blinding bright even in daylight. And +1 on LOUD pipes.
Other than that I don't know what else you can do to get the attention of teenagers and soccer moms yakking away and completely oblivious to the rest of the world.

I stay away from people, allow plenty of room, stay out of their blind spots, use your mirrors, always slow down while traveling next to a lane full of cars, and I expect them to not see me and pull out anyway, etc.
I give even more room to a car that's already wrecked...

You're on your own out there...

I'm thinking you can pretty much douse yourself and your bike in gas, light it, drive around and STILL NOT BE SEEN............... ANYONE texting or talking on a cell should be beat down.............

Old 02-15-2013 | 09:03 AM
skiddd
|
Supporter

Originally Posted by jreichart
Personally, I ride like I am the invisible man. No one can see me, and I expect everyone to be an idiot. Pay close attention to everything around you, and learn to read situations before they become a danger. YOU AND ONLY YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR SAFETY! IMO, all these lights and reflectors fool riders into a false sense of security. News flash, you could put stadium lighting on the front of your bike, and you will still be in danger of not being seen. Period. No amount of noise/lighting/horns is a substitute for riding skill and overall situational awareness. Defensive/reactionary riding will get you killed. Ride with a controlled aggression, a little faster than the average traffic, put other vehicles where you want them to be. For example, if you are constantly getting passed on the highway you are not in control of your surroundings and you should speed up. There are situations that result in accidents that are completely out of our control. It happens. But, most motorcycle accidents could be avoided by better situational awareness and overall skill, not big bright lights and loud pipes. Don't rely on inanimate objects to save your ***.

A few simple rules:

1. Ride faster than traffic
2. Never hang next to any vehicle, either pass or fall behind if need be
3. Every vehicle at every intersection is going to cut you off
4. Expect every vehicle to change lanes right in front of you, see #2
5. That car approaching behind you at a light will rear end you. Leave a little space and watch him in your mirrors.
6. Your throttle will get you out of more situations safely than your brakes ever will.

Sounds like a lot of work? It is, but your life is probably worth it. Once you've done it for awhile though, it becomes second nature. It will greatly improve your cage driving skills as well.

Rant over, sorry, just can't stand it when I hear "I've had x close calls since I got my bike, I think my headlight might be too dim". Doubt it's the headlight that's too dim. I have a black bike, wear dark clothes, no reflectors, one stock headlight and no turn signals. Only a few close calls, all due to in attention on my part.

Pretty much what I do out there.......... its a bad scene.

Old 02-15-2013 | 09:18 AM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member

The sad thing is that no matter how much you try to add lights, pipes and other things. People now days just don't pay attention. I saw a lady rear end a semi truck so I stopped to be a witness. Her statement is that she did not see the truck stop at the red light. I mean come on the trailer had to of had 8-12 bright LED lights on the rear and it was daylight. I saw the officer ask the truck driver to tap his brakes and the lights lite up like a Christmas tree. He then told the driver he could go and the lady was cited for the accident.

Old 02-15-2013 | 09:35 AM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member

They are the enemy and treat them as such. To make matters worse, their are cagers out there who dislike bikes and will cut you off.

Quick Reply: Getting noticed