Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting noticed

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013 | 06:36 PM
jreichart
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
Yup. You're a lot more visible and conspicuous if people are gaining on you, than if you are gaining on them. Them gaining on you puts you in their normal forward vision. You gaining on them hopes they will catch you in their rear view mirror before they make a move.

But if one is looking for an excuse to drive fast, I suppose the argument that it is safer is as good as any.
I certainly don't mean that going 30 over traffic is safer. But by riding slightly faster than the average speed, you are putting traffic and other vehicles where you want them to be. You have better control of your surroundings, and spend less time riding in your mirrors. Generally I ride about 5-10 over the average flow. The key to a good defense is being slightly aggressive. That's my advice and that's how I ride. Done well with it so far. It's up to others how they want to ride, and the consequences are theirs to bear as well.

And I would say its much more dangerous to let vehicles gain on you. Sure, they can see you, but it also causes them to do stupid thing to get around you. If you're not riding in your mirrors, then you won't know what's going on until that car hits you. I've ridden with guys who enjoyed right laning it, never been more nervous. Left the group, rode my own pace, and waited for them at the destination.

Last edited by jreichart; 02-16-2013 at 06:40 PM.
Old 02-16-2013 | 09:05 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by jreichart
Personally, I ride like I am the invisible man. No one can see me, and I expect everyone to be an idiot. Pay close attention to everything around you, and learn to read situations before they become a danger. YOU AND ONLY YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR SAFETY! IMO, all these lights and reflectors fool riders into a false sense of security. News flash, you could put stadium lighting on the front of your bike, and you will still be in danger of not being seen. Period. No amount of noise/lighting/horns is a substitute for riding skill and overall situational awareness. Defensive/reactionary riding will get you killed. Ride with a controlled aggression, a little faster than the average traffic, put other vehicles where you want them to be. For example, if you are constantly getting passed on the highway you are not in control of your surroundings and you should speed up. There are situations that result in accidents that are completely out of our control. It happens. But, most motorcycle accidents could be avoided by better situational awareness and overall skill, not big bright lights and loud pipes. Don't rely on inanimate objects to save your ***.

A few simple rules:

1. Ride faster than traffic
2. Never hang next to any vehicle, either pass or fall behind if need be
3. Every vehicle at every intersection is going to cut you off
4. Expect every vehicle to change lanes right in front of you, see #2
5. That car approaching behind you at a light will rear end you. Leave a little space and watch him in your mirrors.
6. Your throttle will get you out of more situations safely than your brakes ever will.

Sounds like a lot of work? It is, but your life is probably worth it. Once you've done it for awhile though, it becomes second nature. It will greatly improve your cage driving skills as well.

Rant over, sorry, just can't stand it when I hear "I've had x close calls since I got my bike, I think my headlight might be too dim". Doubt it's the headlight that's too dim. I have a black bike, wear dark clothes, no reflectors, one stock headlight and no turn signals. Only a few close calls, all due to inattention on my part.
Originally Posted by stailjim61
I agree with most of this except for #1. That is a recipe for disaster. Riding with the flow of traffic will ALWAYS be the safe bet. If you ride with the flow of traffic you don't have to worry about #4. You admit you ride aggressive which is probably why the close calls. We can control most of what happens in front of us by staying away from it and increasing distances. Riding faster than the flow of traffic just took away that edge. I used to teach drivers ed and the first thing I taught was how to eliminate potential problems. By riding faster than the flow of traffic you just increased every potential problem, instead of staying away from them. How many additional vehicles have you gotten along side of, closer behind, etc over a 200 mile ride? Hundreds at least. That's hundreds of potential problems that could have been avoided by going with flow of traffic. I'm off my soapbox now, but I still believe #1 is poor advice and new riders should disregard.

You missed Jreicherts use of controlled. He doesn't say always, like you do. You have to use judgment. If I am in an area with competent drivers, going a reasonable speed I will try to get in a bubble and go with the flow. If I am in an area with clueless drivers, going under the speed limit or getting in moving blockades, I will ride with a controlled aggression to move through the mass of sheep and break through to an empty area. If I am in an area with psycho lane weavers I will ride in wherever the most open area is. It requires a lot of judgement, but in general I would rather be overtaking traffic about 3 mph faster, so I control the encounter, not the cage.

I think it is poor taste for you to say his close calls are due to his riding faster, without knowing a lot more about conditions. And you are teaching driver's ed to inexperienced drivers. I have driven over a million miles in urban, rural, mountain, snow, ice, etc... I am going to drive and ride my motorcycle different than a novice.

Newbies, take all the advice in, but ride your own ride.

Old 02-16-2013 | 09:24 PM
old youth
Intermediate

I ride on the offensive all the time, even when driving my cage, When i taught my daughter to ride, i said everyone and everything is gonna try to knock you off your bike, not just the cars, poles, rubbish bins, kids on bikes, cyclists, other riders-dont bunch up, watch for cars driving and reversing out of driveways, be on the look out for the cat being chased by the dog, don't be looking at the guy/girl as some else may also be looking and not paying attention to the environment.
Great post jreichart

A few simple rules:

1. Ride faster than traffic
2. Never hang next to any vehicle, either pass or fall behind if need be
3. Every vehicle at every intersection is going to cut you off
4. Expect every vehicle to change lanes right in front of you, see #2
5. That car approaching behind you at a light will rear end you. Leave a little space and watch him in your mirrors.
6. Your throttle will get you out of more situations safely than your brakes ever will.

Ride safe out there

Old 02-17-2013 | 07:44 PM
scooterbum46
Tourer

Jreichart's post ( https://www.hdforums.com/forum/10915377-post6.html ) is one of the best summaries of my riding habits I've ever read, including the practice of riding faster than the average pack speed. I'm going to cut n' paste it into a document to share first with my daughter who rides and her husband, and then some of the others that I ride with.. I've always summed it up with just the "ride like every body's out to kill ya" , but that paragraph says it all.

My two cents on bright driving lights.... Bright twin driving lights mounted in the same plane as the headlight may make an optical illusion that a cage driver with a quick glance will see as dual headlights, much farther away that you actually are.... BTDT...