Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting noticed

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013 | 02:08 PM
elizer
Road Captain

i just swerve like an idiot inside my lane so people look at me.

Old 02-15-2013 | 02:39 PM
Lightafatty
Tourer

Getting noticed

A chopper like this will get no noticed

Old 02-15-2013 | 05:50 PM
Midgard
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by jreichart
Personally, I ride like I am the invisible man. No one can see me, and I expect everyone to be an idiot. Pay close attention to everything around you, and learn to read situations before they become a danger. YOU AND ONLY YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR SAFETY! IMO, all these lights and reflectors fool riders into a false sense of security. News flash, you could put stadium lighting on the front of your bike, and you will still be in danger of not being seen. Period. No amount of noise/lighting/horns is a substitute for riding skill and overall situational awareness. Defensive/reactionary riding will get you killed. Ride with a controlled aggression, a little faster than the average traffic, put other vehicles where you want them to be. For example, if you are constantly getting passed on the highway you are not in control of your surroundings and you should speed up. There are situations that result in accidents that are completely out of our control. It happens. But, most motorcycle accidents could be avoided by better situational awareness and overall skill, not big bright lights and loud pipes. Don't rely on inanimate objects to save your ***.

A few simple rules:

1. Ride faster than traffic
2. Never hang next to any vehicle, either pass or fall behind if need be
3. Every vehicle at every intersection is going to cut you off
4. Expect every vehicle to change lanes right in front of you, see #2
5. That car approaching behind you at a light will rear end you. Leave a little space and watch him in your mirrors.
6. Your throttle will get you out of more situations safely than your brakes ever will.

Sounds like a lot of work? It is, but your life is probably worth it. Once you've done it for awhile though, it becomes second nature. It will greatly improve your cage driving skills as well.

Rant over, sorry, just can't stand it when I hear "I've had x close calls since I got my bike, I think my headlight might be too dim". Doubt it's the headlight that's too dim. I have a black bike, wear dark clothes, no reflectors, one stock headlight and no turn signals. Only a few close calls, all due to inattention on my part.

Old 02-15-2013 | 07:40 PM
skiddd
|
Supporter

Great replies here, most of the suggestions I do, some i don't but will incorporate them now, thanks fellas. I'm not going to punch anymore mirrors off from this day forward...........

Old 02-15-2013 | 07:41 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by skiddd
I have just recently got back on a bike after 24 years, I bought a used 2000 FLSTC Heitage Softail Classic in July of 2012(always wanted one since I saw my cousins 1989. My last bike was a 1977 Super Glide) anyway I cannot believe the amount of ******** ON THE ROAD since having my last bike, it was not this bad as I remember. I don't have super loud pipes(screaming eagle 2's) I have halogen headlights and running lights(going to HID soon) and a stock horn. I drive in site of mirrors and try and let myself be seen, what do you all do to make the idiot texting, talking, shaving, applying makeup, etc SEE YOU...............? its F-ing dangerous out there....... I have had 2 incidents where I was almost hit if it were not for me predicting it, I will not say what I did for revenge...........
C,mon.... don't leave us hanging. You have to tell us now !!!

Originally Posted by jreichart
Personally, I ride like I am the invisible man. No one can see me, and I expect everyone to be an idiot. Pay close attention to everything around you, and learn to read situations before they become a danger. YOU AND ONLY YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR SAFETY! IMO, all these lights and reflectors fool riders into a false sense of security. News flash, you could put stadium lighting on the front of your bike, and you will still be in danger of not being seen. Period. No amount of noise/lighting/horns is a substitute for riding skill and overall situational awareness. Defensive/reactionary riding will get you killed. Ride with a controlled aggression, a little faster than the average traffic, put other vehicles where you want them to be. For example, if you are constantly getting passed on the highway you are not in control of your surroundings and you should speed up. There are situations that result in accidents that are completely out of our control. It happens. But, most motorcycle accidents could be avoided by better situational awareness and overall skill, not big bright lights and loud pipes. Don't rely on inanimate objects to save your ***.

A few simple rules:

1. Ride faster than traffic
2. Never hang next to any vehicle, either pass or fall behind if need be
3. Every vehicle at every intersection is going to cut you off
4. Expect every vehicle to change lanes right in front of you, see #2
5. That car approaching behind you at a light will rear end you. Leave a little space and watch him in your mirrors.
6. Your throttle will get you out of more situations safely than your brakes ever will.

Sounds like a lot of work? It is, but your life is probably worth it. Once you've done it for awhile though, it becomes second nature. It will greatly improve your cage driving skills as well.

Rant over, sorry, just can't stand it when I hear "I've had x close calls since I got my bike, I think my headlight might be too dim". Doubt it's the headlight that's too dim. I have a black bike, wear dark clothes, no reflectors, one stock headlight and no turn signals. Only a few close calls, all due to inattention on my part.
Great post. Maybe one more:

7. Never sit at a traffic light in neutral. Always be ready to roll. See #5.

Old 02-15-2013 | 08:18 PM
acman308
Road Master

I ride like i'm invisible and everyone is trying to kill me.

They don't just do it to bikes....... i watched a lady pull right out in front of a truck today he put his truck in the ditch to keep from hitting her.

Old 02-15-2013 | 08:42 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by acman308
I ride like i'm invisible and everyone is trying to kill me.

They don't just do it to bikes....... i watched a lady pull right out in front of a truck today he put his truck in the ditch to keep from hitting her.
And I'm sure the beeyatch drove off like nothing happened.

Old 02-15-2013 | 08:49 PM
Trusten
Tourer

Originally Posted by Bone Doc
7. Never sit at a traffic light in neutral. Always be ready to roll. See #5.

+1 - about a year ago, I read this same advice here on the forum. I came to realize that on some, longer lights, I would shift into neutral just so I could take my hand off the clutch and chill a bit, flop the arms around, you know.

After reading this same suggestion, back then, I stopped ever shifting into neutral at a stop. MAking this change saved my but within a month. Sitting in a left turn lane, at a red light, I hear some screetching behind me, turn and see a car that is NOT going to stop before they hit my buttocks, let go of clutch, throttle, shoot into a U-turn heading back the other direction on the other side of the median.

Unfortunately, I was too freaked out at the moment to flip the car's driver off as I past them going by on the other side of the median.

Now, the car would not have killed me. It would have hit me though, and pushed me into the intersection, trashed my bike, and probably tossed my a$$ off and into the hospital for something, road rash if nothing else. I am also fortunate there was no cross traffic, and knew there wasn't as I'd been sitting there looking at empty road all around.

Still, excellent advice, follow it. You ARE INVISIBLE out there, not matter what you do. And, even loud pipes WILL NOT save you. I see cagers, mostly teens, driving inside their cage with earbuds hanging out their ears. They can't see you cause they're texting, they can't hear youu over their loud car stereo or ear buds, and the fact they're doing these things mean they are too stupid to notice you even if you jumped up on their hood an pissed on the windshield.

Ride safe people. That means, like everyone keeps saying, predict stupidity from every car on the road. Drive like every stupid thing that could happen will, and make it down the road alive.

Old 02-15-2013 | 08:50 PM
skiddd
|
Supporter

[QUOTE=Bone Doc;10917622]C,mon.... don't leave us hanging. You have to tell us now !!!

On one I punched a side view mirror off, on another, well nevermind............

Old 02-15-2013 | 08:53 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator

It's not just bikes that are not seen, I was driving on I-10 in my SUV a few weeks ago and an SUV pulling a small trailer got onto the interstate in the lane to my right and then steered into my lane almost side swiping me. Lucky I was paying attention because I had to swerve onto the grass median and drive half on half off till he heard my horn and swerved back into the right lane. If' there had been a wall or barrier I don't know if I would be alive today.

Cell phones, GPS, CDs and a billion radio stations, seems everybody is driving distracted these days.

Quick Reply: Getting noticed