Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting noticed

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013 | 09:45 AM
discodave
Tourer

Just like the others have said...... ride like everyone is out to kill you. that's what i do. i anticipate everything. if you can learn to do that and still have fun then you'll be fine. when i first starting riding i was nervous all the time. now i manage to still have fun and ride cautiously at the same time. it's a balance!

Put bright lights on your bike, especially at night. I put LEDs all over (some call them lizard lights) that are bright white so everything around me glows at night. There is no way I'm not seen at night and that's the goal. For daytime it's good to have a bright headlight and passing lamps. If you get an HID headlight, make sure your passing lamps are halogen. The contrast in color really stands out at night, but even more so during the day.

And, most importantly I think..... Don't be an *******! Those cars/trucks/etc. can kill you in a second if they want to..... I saw a guy flipping off cars because they pissed him off the other day. Not a good idea. Road rage is VERY REAL and a simple bump from a cage can kill you.

Last edited by discodave; 02-15-2013 at 09:50 AM.
Old 02-15-2013 | 09:47 AM
SUUIE
Road Master

Originally Posted by jreichart
Your throttle will get you out of more situations safely than your brakes ever will.
Ain't that the truth! Works that way in the cage as well.

Old 02-15-2013 | 09:49 AM
Rfc
Tourer

Originally Posted by jreichart
Personally, I ride like I am the invisible man. No one can see me, and I expect everyone to be an idiot. Pay close attention to everything around you, and learn to read situations before they become a danger. YOU AND ONLY YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR SAFETY! IMO, all these lights and reflectors fool riders into a false sense of security. News flash, you could put stadium lighting on the front of your bike, and you will still be in danger of not being seen. Period. No amount of noise/lighting/horns is a substitute for riding skill and overall situational awareness. Defensive/reactionary riding will get you killed. Ride with a controlled aggression, a little faster than the average traffic, put other vehicles where you want them to be. For example, if you are constantly getting passed on the highway you are not in control of your surroundings and you should speed up. There are situations that result in accidents that are completely out of our control. It happens. But, most motorcycle accidents could be avoided by better situational awareness and overall skill, not big bright lights and loud pipes. Don't rely on inanimate objects to save your ***.

A few simple rules:

1. Ride faster than traffic
2. Never hang next to any vehicle, either pass or fall behind if need be
3. Every vehicle at every intersection is going to cut you off
4. Expect every vehicle to change lanes right in front of you, see #2
5. That car approaching behind you at a light will rear end you. Leave a little space and watch him in your mirrors.
6. Your throttle will get you out of more situations safely than your brakes ever will.

Sounds like a lot of work? It is, but your life is probably worth it. Once you've done it for awhile though, it becomes second nature. It will greatly improve your cage driving skills as well.

Rant over, sorry, just can't stand it when I hear "I've had x close calls since I got my bike, I think my headlight might be too dim". Doubt it's the headlight that's too dim. I have a black bike, wear dark clothes, no reflectors, one stock headlight and no turn signals. Only a few close calls, all due to in attention on my part.

That's solid life saving advice right there ladies and gents, good post!

Old 02-15-2013 | 09:56 AM
Rustell
Road Warrior

See my signature line... the words I ride by

Last edited by Rustell; 02-15-2013 at 10:04 AM.
Old 02-15-2013 | 10:21 AM
supercrewser
Road Master

Originally Posted by NDBadlands4-2
Proceed as if you were invisible. Accept that you are not going to be seen and do not be mad when you are right. Two weeks ago a teenager died in my town because he rear ended a stopped semi trailer. If other drivers can not see something that big, there is nothing you can do except be ready.
Thats exactly how I ride, I was rear ended at a stop light in my red mustang once by a 16 year old in daddys corvette. She gets out and says why did you stop? I told her thats what we do with red lights . She proceeded to ask me to help her find the registration and insurance card cause daddy hadnt showed her what that was. Then daddy shows up bitchin at me cause I didnt have to have the car repaired cause it wasnt that bad and he wanted to know what it would take for me to not report this to insurance. I looked at him and said buddy if I happened to be on my bike we would be discussing this at the hospital , your kid didnt even see the red mustang so go eff your self . At that time the cop got in between us and made the a**hole walk away and apologized to me for letting him get close to me. There had to be a cell phone involved .

Old 02-15-2013 | 12:27 PM
skiddd
|
Supporter

Originally Posted by supercrewser
Thats exactly how I ride, I was rear ended at a stop light in my red mustang once by a 16 year old in daddys corvette. She gets out and says why did you stop? I told her thats what we do with red lights . She proceeded to ask me to help her find the registration and insurance card cause daddy hadnt showed her what that was. Then daddy shows up bitchin at me cause I didnt have to have the car repaired cause it wasnt that bad and he wanted to know what it would take for me to not report this to insurance. I looked at him and said buddy if I happened to be on my bike we would be discussing this at the hospital , your kid didnt even see the red mustang so go eff your self . At that time the cop got in between us and made the a**hole walk away and apologized to me for letting him get close to me. There had to be a cell phone involved .

Crazy ****!

Old 02-15-2013 | 01:10 PM
Benway
Elite HDF Member

It's not just bikes. Damn near ran off the highway this morning when an SUV changed lanes right into me. 'Course I'm watching traffic and hit the brakes and got out of their way, but the pisser is, with the new cars, it took me a full 30 seconds to find the damn horn in the dark. A slight image of a horn embossed on the black vinyl of the steering wheel. Had to wait until light hit it before I found it. Surprised this kind of design gets past safety issues. Man, I miss the big 'ol chrome ring that used to be on all the steering wheels.

Old 02-15-2013 | 01:20 PM
fdb2007
Road Master

jreichart summed it up pretty well and those are good principles to drive by as well--though the throttle in my 6 cyl F-150 isn't that effective

Old 02-15-2013 | 01:28 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member

I blame cell phones too and if they ever come out with a jammer for them, I'm buying two!

These cell phone, texting, shaving, book reading, star gazing a-holes need a VERY stiff law for this crap. And it won't stop until they kill someone.

Old 02-15-2013 | 01:39 PM
nickel.wound
Tourer

Originally Posted by jam436
I blame a lot of this on cell phones.
You just want to holler at these idiots "Hang the fugg up and drive, you're not that important!"
I swear, I've stood in my yard and watched cars go by, and half of them are playing with their electronics.

I added aux. lights to the front and LED's all around.
They're blinding bright even in daylight. And +1 on LOUD pipes.
Other than that I don't know what else you can do to get the attention of teenagers and soccer moms yakking away and completely oblivious to the rest of the world.

I stay away from people, allow plenty of room, stay out of their blind spots, use your mirrors, always slow down while traveling next to a lane full of cars, and I expect them to not see me and pull out anyway, etc.
I give even more room to a car that's already wrecked...

You're on your own out there...

This is my #1 tip. Well said.

Quick Reply: Getting noticed