Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013 | 04:20 PM
jd8181
|
Road Captain

I have been looking at the hid kit Motown put on his bike. And seen where people are saying buy and extension kit and mount the ballast under the seat. I have seen also where people have mounted them to the neck of there bike. Are the ballast water proof?

Bikerlaw do you have a picture of the on/off switch? Also what wire did you have to cut to install the switch (one from the motorcycle wiring or hid kit wiring?). And did you install an hid with a hi/lo or just low beam?

Old 02-17-2013 | 07:07 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by jd8181
Bikerlaw do you have a picture of the on/off switch? Also what wire did you have to cut to install the switch (one from the motorcycle wiring or hid kit wiring?). And did you install an hid with a hi/lo or just low beam?
Heres a pic of the switch. Its nothing fancy. Just a waterproof NAPA switch. It was a good one, like seven bucks. The HID I installed technically has high and low, but not really. Its the same bulb at the same power, but what happens when you hit the high beam is a tiny magnet moves the bulb internally, thus raising the beam to "high beam". Its Chinese, what can I say. But honestly, low beam works just as great. Its that freaking bright. I spliced the switch into the ground wire. Thats how I cut power to it when I want to start the bike., I have no reason to believe it does any good what so ever, other than one member claimed he burnt a power source up starting the bike with the light on. No idea if that makes a lick of difference, but the source is a pretty smart guy and I figured.....what the heck, right. So now I turn it off when I start the bike, just to be safe.

Old 02-17-2013 | 08:05 PM
jd8181
|
Road Captain

Thanks for the picture. Now I just need to figure out where I want to mount everything.
Bikerlaw what kit did you end up buying? And how long have you had it? Any problems?

Old 02-17-2013 | 08:37 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by jd8181
Thanks for the picture. Now I just need to figure out where I want to mount everything.
Bikerlaw what kit did you end up buying? And how long have you had it? Any problems?
No problems yet, but I have not had it all that long. I am actually going to order a second kit, just so I have an extra of every single part just in case I ever have a failure. for $36 its just worth it to me. Here is the exact kit from the same guy I bought mine from. He was just the luck of the draw. Any of fifty sellers sell this exact same overseas kit. I just picked this guy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-B...item27b53256d8

If it ever does crap out, I will be the first one to post up blasting the kit, and buying the "Truck Lite". Hopefully, that wont be for a while.