Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013 | 01:43 PM
QC
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
I recently upgraded my headlight to the HID conversion. They sell them all over ebay. Prices range from 35 to 150 bucks. I'm cheap, so I bought a cheap one. Holy freakin moly! I have tried all the drop in bulbs like the Silverstar and the Piaa. All good bulbs and all better than stock. None in the leauge of the HID. This thing is like turning on daytime.
I'm gonna have to break down and do one of those. Motown Strag had a good thread going on it a couple weeks ago.

Old 02-16-2013 | 02:14 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

Yep, that's where I got the info from. His thread. These lights are supposed to outlast every standard bulb, but I have to see that to believe it. What I have seen so far amazes me. Last night the guy next to literally said "I might as well have turned off my headlight for all the good it was doing".

Old 02-16-2013 | 02:43 PM
jd8181
|
Road Captain

I would get led if I could afford them. And only problem with hid is trying to get everything in a 5 3/4 headlight bucket.

Old 02-16-2013 | 05:03 PM
QC
Club Member
Riders Club Member

BL, did you put the light on the Springer in your pic? If so, what did you do with the ballast and other pertinent things? I've pretty much figured it all won't fit in a 5 3/4 bucket.

Old 02-16-2013 | 05:32 PM
stailjim61
Road Captain

Originally Posted by jd8181
I am replacing my oem texted headlight glass on my 03 night train with the smooth glass (hd in the middle) from and 06+. I am goin to replace the light bulb also an was wondering what the best replacement is. As far as brightness, color, visibility, etc.
I have a feeling you're going to very disappointed. Harley really screwed up with the smooth approach. At best, with any bulb, it just glows. I would guess the only reason Harley changed was for looks at the expense of light. The fluted headlamp you're taking out has flutes for a reason. You are taking a step backwards in my opinion. I junked the smooth stocker and replaced it with a European H4 from Hella. Was less than 50 bucks with a new bulb. During the DAY it lights up street sign reflections and at night the beam is amazing. Do a search on it. You really don't need to spend a ton of money on marketing schemes that don't work to get good light.

Old 02-16-2013 | 05:50 PM
QC
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by jd8181
I would get led if I could afford them. And only problem with hid is trying to get everything in a 5 3/4 headlight bucket.
This is the unit Motown used in his:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/170492679790...84.m1423.l2649
I'll put it in my Adjure Tri-Bar.

Old 02-16-2013 | 05:55 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by QC
BL, did you put the light on the Springer in your pic? If so, what did you do with the ballast and other pertinent things? I've pretty much figured it all won't fit in a 5 3/4 bucket.
No, I put it on my Fat Boy with a primary on/off switch in the cowl. Its my understanding that a mini ballast is an option for smaller headlights. Its more money, but still only fifty or so dollars. I have not tried it, only read about them on ebay. I can vouch only for the full size ballast.

Old 02-16-2013 | 05:58 PM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by stailjim61
I have a feeling you're going to very disappointed. Harley really screwed up with the smooth approach. At best, with any bulb, it just glows. I would guess the only reason Harley changed was for looks at the expense of light. The fluted headlamp you're taking out has flutes for a reason. You are taking a step backwards in my opinion. I junked the smooth stocker and replaced it with a European H4 from Hella. Was less than 50 bucks with a new bulb. During the DAY it lights up street sign reflections and at night the beam is amazing. Do a search on it. You really don't need to spend a ton of money on marketing schemes that don't work to get good light.

This came up before in another thread, and I think it's really good advice. The fluted (prismed) lenses throw a lot more light out to the side, are a lot more visible from angles other than straight-on, and that's where a lot of our "enemy incoming" come from.

Old 02-16-2013 | 06:10 PM
QC
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
No, I put it on my Fat Boy with a primary on/off switch in the cowl. Its my understanding that a mini ballast is an option for smaller headlights. Its more money, but still only fifty or so dollars. I have not tried it, only read about them on ebay. I can vouch only for the full size ballast.
Ok, thanks. Someone mentioned an extension which I found on Ebay as well. I was just hoping to avoid that. Just hate messing with wires.

Old 02-16-2013 | 06:38 PM
jd8181
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by stailjim61
http://www.ebay.com/itm/230923099506?redirect=mobile

Is this like the hella you bought? Fits right in the stock bucket fine?

Quick Reply: Headlight Question