Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for vet advice: FLS as first ride

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 04:44 PM
Sean Parker
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for vet advice: FLS as first ride

Hello,

I've read a couple of dozen threads that relate to this topic, definitely not trying to hammer a dead horse...so I'll try to make my question as specific as possible. I really appreciate any advice offered and will pay attention.

I finished the Rider's Edge MSF course a few weeks ago, which engaged a life-long dream for me (thanks to the most attractive and thoughtful wife on the planet). Started looking for a first machine, considered a couple Victory 8-Ball variants, but knew I'd regret it if I didn't respect my dream of owning and wearing out a Harley. Discovered the '13 FLS, and fell in love with it. Every article I read and video I watch makes it seem more perfect. So, I bought one, and will pick it up in a week or so.

My concern isn't whether or not it's "too much bike" etc...whether it is or not, I'm gonna conquer it slowly and make it mine. My concern is getting it off the lot and back down the 9 miles of highway and/or service road back to my house. I did pretty well in the MSF course (passed obviously) but did seem to have some trouble at times with the little Buell stalling, especially starting from a stop. Seemed like the Buell's idle speed wasn't fast enough to move it without some gas, and combined with my noobness, that made starts jumpy.

So, I'm looking for some direction on what to expect from the Slim's clutch (will it be 'jumpy' like the Buell?), and generally some recommendation from the veteran riders about driving it off the lot myself. I have access to plenty of family and friends who can do the job, but obviously I wanna drive off on MY bike.

Thanks for you guys' time...like I said, really appreciate your knowledge.

SP

Old 02-13-2013, 04:52 PM
Sleeko
Stellar HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 56 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Sean Parker
Hello,

I've read a couple of dozen threads that relate to this topic, definitely not trying to hammer a dead horse...so I'll try to make my question as specific as possible. I really appreciate any advice offered and will pay attention.

I finished the Rider's Edge MSF course a few weeks ago, which engaged a life-long dream for me (thanks to the most attractive and thoughtful wife on the planet). Started looking for a first machine, considered a couple Victory 8-Ball variants, but knew I'd regret it if I didn't respect my dream of owning and wearing out a Harley. Discovered the '13 FLS, and fell in love with it. Every article I read and video I watch makes it seem more perfect. So, I bought one, and will pick it up in a week or so.

My concern isn't whether or not it's "too much bike" etc...whether it is or not, I'm gonna conquer it slowly and make it mine. My concern is getting it off the lot and back down the 9 miles of highway and/or service road back to my house. I did pretty well in the MSF course (passed obviously) but did seem to have some trouble at times with the little Buell stalling, especially starting from a stop. Seemed like the Buell's idle speed wasn't fast enough t

o move it without some gas, and combined with my noobness, that made starts jumpy.

So, I'm looking for some direction on what to expect from the Slim's clutch (will it be 'jumpy' like the Buell?), and generally some recommendation from the veteran riders about driving it off the lot myself. I have access to plenty of family and friends who can do the job, but obviously I wanna drive off on MY bike.

SP

First off congradulations! Second, if you are unsure of riding your new ride home, the dealer may have someone ride it home for you as you follow behind or maybe put it on the back of one of their tow trucks and just transport it for you. My salesman offered to ride mine to my house but I told him to get stuffed! LoL.
It's worth an ask. Good luck with it and post some pics when you get a chance.

Last edited by Sleeko; 02-13-2013 at 04:55 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:56 PM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean Parker
Hello,

My concern isn't whether or not it's "too much bike" etc...whether it is or not, I'm gonna conquer it slowly and make it mine. My concern is getting it off the lot and back down the 9 miles of highway and/or service road back to my house. I did pretty well in the MSF course (passed obviously) but did seem to have some trouble at times with the little Buell stalling, especially starting from a stop. Seemed like the Buell's idle speed wasn't fast enough to move it without some gas, and combined with my noobness, that made starts jumpy.

SP

Hey Sean. As a rule of thumb, if you don't feel confident in getting the bike home, you should probably have someone get it home for you. That said, you gotta learn to be comfortable sometime, and the only way to do that is ride.

Is that 9 miles a pretty easy 9 without many stops? Or are you gonna have to ride the freeway, or navigate some trick intersections? That will inform you.

Another pointer: A lot of cats who I have met who stall on a bike never drove a stick shift car. Makes all the difference in the world to know how to handle a clutch before you get on a motorcycle. For some reason doing that in a car just translates well to doing it on a bike. So if you don't drive stick shift car, I recommend borrowing one and practicing in the car. You'll be surprised how much easier it makes using the clutch on your bike.

For what it's worth, when I bought my first Harley a long **** time ago, I rode it home on the freeway without being a very good rider. (I had mostly ridden in parking lots up that point on my friend's bikes, though they were Harleys.)

I got home just fine. But there was one freeway turn that I went way too wide on. Luckily I stayed calm and brought her back in. If I had it to do over again, I would have someone get the bike home for me.

More than 15 years later, I can ride anywhere. But there are still better riders than I. You never stop getting better at it. So it's cool that you realize you're still learning. In one way or another, we all are.

Great choice of bike, by the way.

Last edited by SoCalSoftailSlim; 02-13-2013 at 05:09 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:11 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 774 Likes on 469 Posts

You are going to be nervous no matter what kind of prep work you do.
Let's face it, you are not only a new rider, but also this bike is new to you.

The best advice would have been for you to go out and pickup a $1000 400cc Honda and do some practice, but like most of us you decided to jump into the deep end before you really knew how to swim

Every bike is somewhat different, even the same models.

It's your new baby, don't let some other Daddy ride it home the first time.

If you're real nervous and would like to perhaps practice in your driveway a bit have the dealer deliver it. Typically they only charge around $50, but they should deliver it for free since you just spent big $$ for it.

Good luck and enjoy the ride.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:17 PM
Koshman32
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have a friend or someone you know with a bike that would be willing to let you ride it around a bit until yours gets in? Even though riding a friends bike is always harder than riding your own since you're more worried about wrecking it. I know that's the feelings I had when I first got my learners and my buddy let me ride his. Didn't do too great, but once I bought my own bike and jumped on it, the first ride went almost perfect. (only stalled out a couple times trying to get it going haha)

Old 02-13-2013, 05:59 PM
FlatrockRedleg
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For what it's worth, I've been riding a long time, but anytime I get on an unfamiliar bike, I like to take it slow and if possible, do a short lap in a parking lot to make sure I know how she handles. I just bought my wife a slim and it's an awesome ride. I think it's one of the most comfortable feeling bikes I've ever ridden and won't take you long to feel comfortable on her. Nobody is going to laugh at you for taking it easy and even doing a lap around the parking lot to get the feel of her.

Old 02-13-2013, 06:03 PM
mmcbeat
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Congratulations.

Most dealers will be deliver your new scooter for exactly the reasons you are concerned. They want your ongoing business.

Old 02-13-2013, 06:13 PM
kneesinthebreeze
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Plot your route home where you can take some back roads with little traffic even if it takes you out of the way of getting home directly. Have your wife follow you home and enjoy your new ride. You will be somewhat nervous but that will soon subside. The clutch on the new Harley's I found excellent and you should not have any problems. Good luck.

Sean Parker - Napster ?

Old 02-13-2013, 06:17 PM
2010Deluxeguy
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

you can also drive it around their parking lot for as long as you need to feel comfortable. Even if you have it delivered, you have to take that first ride sometime.

Old 02-13-2013, 06:26 PM
tincup64
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

welcome and great first bike. ecco those who say to have the dealer help get it home for you or someone else if you can. yes, it's your bike - but why not learn this new tool on your terms. it won't take long, really - but why take the chance. just by asking the question so thoughtfully leans towards where this would be an acceptable compromise for you. you'll have plenty of other times to ride it.

ride safe whatever you do.

tin

Quick Reply: Looking for vet advice: FLS as first ride