Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail Slim with 200mm Rear Tire Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 10:57 PM
greenbax
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mac1313
I just asked why, I didn't say I didn't like it. I also said people can do what they wanted. Nice try though lol.

Last edited by greenbax; 12-30-2014 at 11:14 PM.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:39 PM
1stHD@
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by galaxyfe
You just agreed about changing the looks from what this bike is supposed to look like and in the same breath, you're gonna throw a 19" front wheel on her? Hilarious.

As for the Breakout comparison...there is none. A slim wit a big rear tire is not a Breakout! The lines and all on the two bikes are completely different. The slim is gorgeous...with a 200 rear tire! It's the perfect bike and the perfect combination.
I don't think I'm really changing the look. i could have gone 21" if i really wanted to change the look. .It's ok you'll get over it.

The following users liked this post:
TROYJAN (06-23-2019)
Old 12-31-2014, 09:07 AM
1004ron
Road Warrior
Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by greenbax
I just asked why, I didn't say I didn't like it. I also said people can do what they wanted. Nice try though lol.
I see that you edited out your comment that all Americans have poor reading and comprehension skills.

Old 12-31-2014, 10:08 AM
24v
Elite HDF Member
Received 706 Likes on 383 Posts

LOL, who cares if you are "changing the look". People are silly. Why would anyone care what bike you buy or modify.
Maybe the guy wanted a Fatboy with spoked wheels?

Old 12-31-2014, 10:55 AM
gregeinsc
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by greenbax
The slim rear is what makes a slim...well a slim. Youre welcome to do whatever you want with your own bike of course but why buy a slim and add a fat tire? Why not get a breakout instead?
Don't you have a thread going highlighting the Shadetree rear fender and tractor seat you just put on your Slim? Why didn't you buy a Sucker Punch Sally instead? Seems like you can't figure out which side of your mouth you want to talk out of.

Old 12-31-2014, 01:39 PM
greenbax
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gregeinsc
Don't you have a thread going highlighting the Shadetree rear fender and tractor seat you just put on your Slim? Why didn't you buy a Sucker Punch Sally instead? Seems like you can't figure out which side of your mouth you want to talk out of.
My mods stay true to the look and throwback/bobber style of the bike. Have you never seen a 1940s harley?? They have springer seats! So if you're trying prove to everyone that you're an idiot, mission accomplished.

Some people here don't seem to want to actually read the comments so I'll repeat myself - I just asked why, I didn't say anything negative about wanting a wider tire or that I have a problem with it. All for people customizing their bike anyway they want - it's their money. Some people like to keep the integrity of the bikes style intact, some don't care. Either is totally fine, but this is a forum and last I checked respectfully worded questions were fine.

And whether you like it or not, the slim was named a slim because of the slim rear profile and tire. If someone wants to change that it's only natural to ask why. That comes straight from harley by the way so if you don't like it go argue with them.

Last edited by greenbax; 12-31-2014 at 01:47 PM.
Old 12-31-2014, 01:52 PM
Lightafatty
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Zakk13
Listen i Love the Slim its got great syle!! But i sat on one and the way its set up from the factory its not comfy! Deff not good for 2 up the way its set up.. I own a Fatboy Lo and its got very similar style but way more comfy and better for 2 up! If your worried about spoke wheels and good 2 up and wide rear tire? Go get a Fatboy Lo and install spoke wheels and a round filter cover! walla all done and youll have exactly what you want and easier to get there!

That's what I did. Pull the tank emblem and put a Slim emblem. I have people tell me all the time that they like my Slim. LOL

Old 12-31-2014, 02:50 PM
1stHD@
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1004ron
I see that you edited out your comment that all Americans have poor reading and comprehension skills.
I read here once b4 that "1 can't argue with stupid cuz 1st they bring you down to their level & if that isn't enough, they beat you down with experience".

Old 01-06-2015, 08:04 PM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

A stock Harley 200 mm rear wheel will fit a Slim and vice versa. Softail a with 200 mm rear tire and smaller share the same swim arm. The only models that actually have a wider swing arm are the Rocker and Breakout.

How do I know?

Cus I've put a Slim rear wheel on my Crossbones with no problem and I know a fellow who slapped my spare 200 crossbones wheel on his Heritage which has the same narrow rear wheel as the slim.

Someone on here said something about needing offset gears and this and that. BS! The reason none of this is necessary is because even thought the wheels and tires ar narrower, the hub is the same across both types of wheels. In other words, if you look at a Slims wheel or any other stock narrow rear wheel you'll see that hub sticks way out on the pulley side. This is how it lines up to the primary the same as the 200.

But don't take my word for it. Do what I did and actually try a wheel swap yourself. Also, do a parts comparison between two models such as the Fatboy and Slim and you'll be surprised how many of the parts are the same. In some cases you may come across different part numbers but the only difference may be something like color such as the Fatboy lo swing arm being flat black versus the gloss black of other models.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:11 PM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Willmont
Come to Florida, 5000 is the most I get.
That's stinks. Sorry to hear that for you. I live in FL and l get over 12k out of my stock rear 200mm Dunlops. I've had my Indy try to sell me on other tire brands and I refuse to switch. He finally stopped trying to get me to change when he actually did two consecutive rear tire changes for me and logged the mileage at over 12k...and the wear marks were still not visible.

Quick Reply: Softail Slim with 200mm Rear Tire Question