Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail Slim with 200mm Rear Tire Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013 | 05:29 AM
Mike Willmont
Tourer

Originally Posted by sadsack
One other thing to consider is tire wear. I'm lucky if the rear tire lasts 8,000 miles on my '11 fatboy lo, and I'm not an aggresive rider. I'm on my fourth rear tire, and that gets expensive!
Come to Florida, 5000 is the most I get.

Old 02-12-2013 | 08:45 AM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by SoCalSoftailSlim
Really? Always thought a fatter tire = more traction, better on curves.

What good is a fatter tire then? (Besides that some prefer the looks.)
Fatter tire = more contact patch = more traction.

The issue is that they're usually a flatter profile than a narrower tire which gives less agressive turn in. It may also take away from stability in a turn depending on the contour of the tire's cup. Imaging a U vs more of a V shape. Then the v leans on it's side, it's going to have a flatter profile to rest on while turning while the U is more curved and prone to less stability. That's why a lot of the RC51 guys switched to 180's from their 190's or went with different profile tires than the stock Dunlops.

If someone with a slim wants to measure the distance between the hub holes on the swing arm, I can tell you if you'll have room. I fit a 200 on my bike but it came with a 160 stock.

Old 03-08-2013 | 06:19 PM
Plums416
Stage I

You can fit a 200 tire. The slim has same swing arm and frame as Fatboy. All softail models. I put a 18/200mm. Just of course may need to change spacers & fender.

As for the ride. Stock to 200 mm not that far off. At least for me. I prefer 180-210.

Check you tube a guy put 200 on his as well. Just put spacers behind struts. Bought new fender and put a stock XBones wheel 17/200 on his.

Old 08-16-2013 | 10:45 AM
timsmcm
Cruiser

Yes just look at your rear wheel. You will see at least a 1 inch spacer between the hub and the pulley. The rear is all the same in all of the softail models. There is more than 1 inch of space between the belt and the tire. Big tire will fit easily, just need wider fender, struts, wheel, tire, and all spacers to get it all lined up. The thing that cracks me up is you can go into the dealer and ask them and they will tell you its almost impossible but for enough money we can try anything.

Old 12-30-2014 | 09:15 PM
hdslim103
Stage I
Default softail slim 200 rear wheel

to everyone that want a 200mm rear wheel on there 2013 softail slim is very simple but very costly for starters the swing arm, bushings ,pulley and brake disc are the same as the fat boy I ordered them from rc components they will machine your wheels and also wrap them in avon tires 200/55/r17 $1300.00 plus $40.00 for abs bearings then fender and strutts of your choice fat boy struts fender and seat work but I went to the heartland usa kit

Old 12-30-2014 | 09:34 PM
greenbax
Banned

The slim rear is what makes a slim...well a slim. Youre welcome to do whatever you want with your own bike of course but why buy a slim and add a fat tire? Why not get a breakout instead?

Old 12-30-2014 | 10:08 PM
1stHD@
Advanced

Originally Posted by greenbax
The slim rear is what makes a slim...well a slim. Youre welcome to do whatever you want with your own bike of course but why buy a slim and add a fat tire? Why not get a breakout instead?
Agreed here. That said, I am upgrading onto a bigger diameter wheels & just a tiny bid wider tires @ 160x60x18 rear & 120x70x19 front. I'll post pic as soon as they are on the slim.

http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/...ps5fbac03a.jpg

Old 12-30-2014 | 10:22 PM
galaxyfe
Tourer

Originally Posted by 1stHD@
Agreed here. That said, I am upgrading onto a bigger diameter wheels & just a tiny bid wider tires @ 160x60x18 rear & 120x70x19 front. I'll post pic as soon as they are on the slim.

http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/...ps5fbac03a.jpg
You just agreed about changing the looks from what this bike is supposed to look like and in the same breath, you're gonna throw a 19" front wheel on her? Hilarious.

As for the Breakout comparison...there is none. A slim wit a big rear tire is not a Breakout! The lines and all on the two bikes are completely different. The slim is gorgeous...with a 200 rear tire! It's the perfect bike and the perfect combination.

Old 12-30-2014 | 10:28 PM
greenbax
Banned

Originally Posted by galaxyfe
You just agreed about changing the looks from what this bike is supposed to look like and in the same breath, you're gonna throw a 19" front wheel on her? Hilarious.

As for the Breakout comparison...there is none. A slim wit a big rear tire is not a Breakout! The lines and all on the two bikes are completely different. The slim is gorgeous...with a 200 rear tire! It's the perfect bike and the perfect combination.
But the slim rear is what makes it a slim, that's just a fact. But you're right break out is very different bike, I used it as an extreme example to make a point

Last edited by greenbax; 12-30-2014 at 10:34 PM.
Old 12-30-2014 | 10:50 PM
mac1313
Tourer

Lol. Yknow thats the beauty of custom bikes - you make it to your own tastes not other people's. It's a simple concept some people can't grasp.

When I see someone's bike or mod that isn't my taste, I just don't say anything at all. But hey, that's me.

Nice bike by the way.

Quick Reply: Softail Slim with 200mm Rear Tire Question