Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vance and Hines dimples in chrome

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 03:10 PM
aniceplace
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vance and Hines dimples in chrome

I just received a new set of Vance and Hines Big Shot Staggereds for my 2012 Deluxe and there are very noticeable dimples in the heat shields. When looking at the pipes in the day light it makes the pipes look like they had a bad Bondo job done to them. The dimples are caused from the weld that holds the hose clamp brackets to the shield. Each shield, therefore, has 8 noticeable dimples.

I contacted Vance and Hines and they said they could replace them, but that their QC standards allow for some dimpling. Before I go through the hassle of a warranty claim has anyone got a set of these with no noticeable dimples. I am of the opinion that a $600.00+ set of pipes should have been prep'd better prior to chroming. As much as I've paid for the bike and all the mods I'm not going to accept poor workmanship in what I consider one of the most noticeable parts of a Harley Davidson; the exhaust. Does any one know if Samson Legends have dimples in the chrome work?
Thanks,

Old 02-08-2013, 03:24 PM
olongapo1
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I've owned several sets of V&H pipes. Never had any dimples or flaws in any of them. Quality was always first rate.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:48 PM
deuceriderusa
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had V&H a while back-no dimples. If you're paying that much for a quality product, they should be perfect.

Old 02-08-2013, 04:49 PM
CountryD
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by deuceriderusa
Had V&H a while back-no dimples. If you're paying that much for a quality product, they should be perfect.

EXACTLY.

Old 02-08-2013, 04:58 PM
Nocturnalnature
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My experience with Vance and Hines was much the same as yours. Dimpled and wavy surface on the heat shields in the areas where the brackets for the hose clamps were tacked on. Never could get satisfactory results from V&H customer service. I fact they were quite rude about it stating I was being "too picky".
Rarely do I boycott a company, but I'd ride with stock pipes before I used another one of their products.

Old 02-08-2013, 05:57 PM
ryanek9freak
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have those exact pipes, I've never noticed anything like that

Old 02-08-2013, 06:28 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 276 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by aniceplace
I just received a new set of Vance and Hines Big Shot Staggereds for my 2012 Deluxe and there are very noticeable dimples in the heat shields. When looking at the pipes in the day light it makes the pipes look like they had a bad Bondo job done to them. The dimples are caused from the weld that holds the hose clamp brackets to the shield. Each shield, therefore, has 8 noticeable dimples.

I contacted Vance and Hines and they said they could replace them, but that their QC standards allow for some dimpling. Before I go through the hassle of a warranty claim has anyone got a set of these with no noticeable dimples. I am of the opinion that a $600.00+ set of pipes should have been prep'd better prior to chroming. As much as I've paid for the bike and all the mods I'm not going to accept poor workmanship in what I consider one of the most noticeable parts of a Harley Davidson; the exhaust. Does any one know if Samson Legends have dimples in the chrome work?
Thanks,
I would contact a V&H waranty person and E mail them some detailed digital pics, let them look at 'em and they can tell you if replacements will be better. They deserve a chance to rectify your concern, if they can. Please repost your result.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:05 PM
Tynker
Advanced
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

[quote=aniceplace;10885457]I just received a new set of Vance and Hines Big Shot Staggereds for my 2012 Deluxe and there are very noticeable dimples in the heat shields. When looking at the pipes in the day light it makes the pipes look like they had a bad Bondo job done to them. The dimples are caused from the weld that holds the hose clamp brackets to the shield. Each shield, therefore, has 8 noticeable dimples.

Thanks,[/quote You should have bought Cobra Exhaust. Lifetime warranty,NO QUESTIONS ASKED.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:12 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 6,312 Likes on 3,174 Posts

bought mine used for 150.00, no dimples.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:17 PM
Timmy B
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: 12 year, Colombia, 4 years Mexico, currently In Kuwait, but Boston is HOME!!
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I've owned V&H and sampson as well as many others, Just call them, from my experience with them them will swap them out. On that note, the V&H is a great pipe but Sampson has a better sound.

Quick Reply: Vance and Hines dimples in chrome