Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tell me why I shouldn't buy a springer...

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013 | 10:12 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by Fesnl
Springers rule, the only thing is when your steering head bearing starts to crap-out around 5000m, it's about a days labor to strip down the entire front end+ what ever spacers and bearings in the rockers you will probably want to replace while it's all apart..pretty pricey compared to the telescopics
65,000 miles plus and still on the original bearing. It's funny this came up now, I stopped in at an H-D shop just today and got an estimante to completly rebuild my front fork including neck bearing and was quoted a total of $860.00, parts and labor. I don't think it needs it but gonna do it just because I want it all like new again.

I've been tough on my bike (round trip on the Al-Can and plenty of riding on dirt roads). The phukin thing is bullet proof as far as I'm concerned.

The following users liked this post:
BaggerSpringerGuy (06-20-2021)
Old 02-08-2013 | 10:14 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Yep.. harley figures out down the road it would be smart to put a grease nipple on the steering neck on the later models, no such luck for the older evo's
Drill a hole and put in a nipple!

Old 02-09-2013 | 12:40 AM
FLYING_BURRITO_BROTHER
NOT A MODERATOR

heh heh heh..... he said Nipple.....

Old 02-09-2013 | 08:06 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by FLYING_BURRITO_BROTHER
heh heh heh..... he said Nipple.....
OK, I only said that cause everybody knows that ridding a Springer is a **** up good time.

Keeping in mind that this is a "family oriented" site, I change my description to "Zerk fitting".

Last edited by IronAss; 02-09-2013 at 08:36 AM.
Old 02-09-2013 | 08:40 AM
Fesnl
Intermediate

Originally Posted by IronAss
Drill a hole and put in a nipple!
Has anyone done this? brilliant idea

Old 02-09-2013 | 08:42 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

Has anyone done this? brilliant idea
In my opinion be dumb not to. I install zerts in all sorts of stuff no big deal. Go for it!

Old 02-09-2013 | 09:22 AM
Fesnl
Intermediate

Can it be done while the front end is still all together? Or would i have to have everything stripped out of the neck to drill through it safely?

Old 02-09-2013 | 09:39 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

Can it be done while the front end is still all together? Or would i have to have everything stripped out of the neck to drill through it safely?
You stand a good chance of metal in the bearing. Id strip it down first.

Old 02-09-2013 | 10:06 AM
Fesnl
Intermediate

Originally Posted by soft 02
You stand a good chance of metal in the bearing. Id strip it down first.
Yeah, figured as much...just rebuilt entire front end this fall..goddammit, stupid 20/20 hindsight

Old 03-22-2013 | 01:35 PM
KYRyder
Novice
Talking

Originally Posted by IronAss
65,000 miles plus and still on the original bearing. It's funny this came up now, I stopped in at an H-D shop just today and got an estimante to completly rebuild my front fork including neck bearing and was quoted a total of $860.00, parts and labor. I don't think it needs it but gonna do it just because I want it all like new again.

I've been tough on my bike (round trip on the Al-Can and plenty of riding on dirt roads). The phukin thing is bullet proof as far as I'm concerned.

If you can afford the time, I suggest you tear it down and build it up yourself. I was a little anxious about doing mine - never having done one and having to fabricate tools - but it really was pretty simple with the shop/repair manual, a bunch of standard tools, and a few beers. Took about 2 days, but we could've made it in one, had we bothered to make sure we had all the parts and pieces we needed (neck cup bearings, for one; new dust cover for two). Also, get a good torque wrench.

The benefit is you can learn how to adjust it on the fly, so if you're out riding and it doesn't "feel right" you can take care of it. You also save a bunch of $$$ to put towards tires, a new cam, carb, ignition module, or beer. Finally, I don't trust many people to work on my skoot. I've had Harley mechanics scratch their head at my "old" Evo which does not instill me with much confidence. I'd rather know what's going on than trust someone's "expertise".

Just my free advice. Take it for what it's worth!

Quick Reply: Tell me why I shouldn't buy a springer...