Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring, front fender light

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 08:42 PM
jbroughton
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Wiring, front fender light

OK, as many of you know, Harley in its usual effort to save $$$, didn't include the guts or wiring to the fender lights on the '06 standard Heritage Softail (FLST). The housing and lens are there, but no bulb, socket or wiring. So I picked up a working light off eBay, and got the wiring from the dealer. My question is, where does this long wire tie into the wiring harness? Inside the headlight assembly maybe? I know the rear one plugs into the taillight assembly (already got that one working), so I'm guessing the front one probably plugs into the headlight wiring somewhere. Any ideas????

Thanks!
Jeff

Old 02-09-2007, 01:19 PM
jbroughton
Cruiser
Default RE: Wiring, front fender light

Well, after taking off the trim around the headlight, I only see one loose wire in that area... there was a loose wire taped to the headlight harness before it actually goes into the headlight housing area. This wire has the female side of a spade connector on it, and is hot when the ignition is turned on. The wire that I got from the dealer yesterday has 2 male pins on the end of it, so if I use the loose wire behind the headlight housing, I'm going to be doing some cutting and splicing.

On the taillight, it was a 5 minute job, the mail connector from thefender light just plugged right into a female connector right at the taillight. I should've know it wouldn't be that easy this time!

Also, what holds the wire up inside the fender? I was thinking maybe just some kind of stick-on clips?

Thanks!
Jeff

Old 02-09-2007, 03:31 PM
SMSgt B
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The front is connected underneath the tank on the left side (clutch). If you remove the 2 bolts that hold the tank on and side it back just enough to look under the rubber boot, you will see the plug in the first wire clip attached in the frame.

Hope this makes sense

V/r

Old 02-09-2007, 05:34 PM
jbroughton
Cruiser

Excellent! I wondered if maybe it was tucked up under the tank somewhere, but was hoping I wouldn't have to go there. I'll check that out tonight. I knew somebody here would have the answer...

Thanks again!

Old 02-12-2007, 08:30 PM
SoCalFXSTI
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

J, that wire with the female spade connector is the power for the aux lights and goes on the "ugly" toggle switchthat has made much mention in the forums recently.

The connection your looking for can be found on the portion of the headlight harness where it connects under the tank as stated by SMSGTB.The connector is spliced into the harness coming off the light. I believe its an Orange and White wire, but not sure.

ORIGINAL: jbroughton

Well, after taking off the trim around the headlight, I only see one loose wire in that area... there was a loose wire taped to the headlight harness before it actually goes into the headlight housing area. This wire has the female side of a spade connector on it, and is hot when the ignition is turned on. The wire that I got from the dealer yesterday has 2 male pins on the end of it, so if I use the loose wire behind the headlight housing, I'm going to be doing some cutting and splicing.

On the taillight, it was a 5 minute job, the mail connector from thefender light just plugged right into a female connector right at the taillight. I should've know it wouldn't be that easy this time!

Also, what holds the wire up inside the fender? I was thinking maybe just some kind of stick-on clips?

Thanks!
Jeff

Old 02-13-2007, 03:57 PM
smittyp83
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: jbroughton

Thanks!
Jeff
Any pictures of the work you did? This was something I was wondering about myself. Thanks!

Old 02-14-2007, 04:53 PM
jbroughton
Cruiser

No pics yet, the bike is at the shop now getting the front-end chromed, and probably won't be home for a few weeks while the parts are at the plater. But all I did was buy used front and rear light assemblies off eBay. They're on there all the time. I made sure to get the complete assembly, including the wiring. I switched the lenses, just because I like the ones that came on my bike. The rear light is a piece of cake. With the front one, just go ahead and plan on taking the front fender off (4 bolts) - you'll need it off to route the wiring, and it makes it a LOT easier to work on. I had to get the bike to the shop Saturday before I could finish wiring it under the tank, so I can't give you any advice there other than what I've gotten in this thread. I'll try to remember to get some pics when I get the bike back (soon I hope!)

Jeff