Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Projects fabricated for my 08 Deluxe

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013 | 09:22 AM
ghostrider69
Outstanding HDF Member

Some nice handy work going on there. I made a few things for my old SB. A wrap around rear fender and a set of reduced reach forward control brackets. The only thing I have had to work up for my Deluxe was a pair of riser spacers and a pair of seat nuts. So far.

Last edited by ghostrider69; 02-03-2013 at 09:29 AM.
Old 02-03-2013 | 04:00 PM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by ghostrider69
Some nice handy work going on there. I made a few things for my old SB. A wrap around rear fender and a set of reduced reach forward control brackets. The only thing I have had to work up for my Deluxe was a pair of riser spacers and a pair of seat nuts. So far.

you made the Nuts, how did you do that?

Old 02-03-2013 | 06:28 PM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
I commented on Harleycruiser's thread about the level of his craftsmanship and said I had fabricated some things for my bike. He said he wouldn't mind seeing some of the projects, so here they are. Some have been on here before, some haven't. Hope you enjoy.

The first thing I made was something I thought was dumb on a bike, cup holders. I used some left over ABS pipe I had and cut some ends from ABS caps with a hole saw. I glued the ends in the pipe and put some weather strip around the top. I put it on a 3" drum sander and put it on the drill press and used emery cloth to make the finish a nicer. Then I got the idea to try some paraffin wax on it and used the back of the emery cloth to buff it up. It worked they looked OK. I used some hose clamps to put them on,,,and they were coming off after anyway. I found them handy for other things so I got some nice P clamps and they are ther for good.
Hey Fox by ABS plastic do you mean black drain pipe?
I really like that, mine is store bought and the chrome is pitting.

Old 02-03-2013 | 07:29 PM
ghostrider69
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Harleycruiser
you made the Nuts, how did you do that?
With some 303 stainless hex bar and my lathe.

Old 02-03-2013 | 07:42 PM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by ghostrider69
With some 303 stainless hex bar and my lathe.
Those are very cool, you should sell those. I love the SS, I altered some socket heads to look like a small button by chucking them up in a drill and using a grinder to round the heads. Just trying to make them look different. I don't have the luxury of a lathe.

Old 02-03-2013 | 08:52 PM
Silver Fox
|
Club Member

Those seat nuts are mighty fine. A little grinding then in the drill press was how I fixed up my 1/4" bolts when I made the pins to hold things on. Yep Harleycruiser, I had some black drain pipe and used that. Necessity is the mother in invention. I had some 3" stainless pipe in my scrap pile that I was looking at but it was too heavy. I had some SS pipe cut to length and was wandering around thinking I had to have something lighter to use, and I spied a piece of drain pipe. A HA there it is. In the pic of the cup holder you can see the slot where I had initially installed it with a hose clamp. If we are not out on a trip my garage door opener sits in the left one and the right one turns into my sun glasses holder. It's easy to change them back into cup holders

Last edited by Silver Fox; 12-21-2014 at 11:25 PM.
Old 02-04-2013 | 08:58 PM
Silver Fox
|
Club Member

I made an aluminum plate that hooked to the Deluxe luggage rack to hold our trunk. After the first trip I had to change things. I wound up making a bigger plate that hooked onto the luggage rack and can be locked on. Then I fabricated and welded a rack to go over the trunk out of some thin walled stainless tubing (real thin). I am not a welder...I blew a few holes that had to be to be filled and I wanted nice joints so I did plenty of grinding and filing. When I was finished i put a little piece of plywood on it and gave the welds a stress test....I jumped on it a handful of times. I painted it flat black and got a chrome rack for an Ultra trunk and mounted that on top. When we go on our trips we put our tent and rain gear on that. Also when it's too hot for our leathers they go op there also. It works good.

Old 02-04-2013 | 09:44 PM
snip0721
Road Master

heres a couple of cup holders i made up a few years ago. 3" stainless tubing cut into 1" pieces. tig welded, and set up as quick detach with a small allen wrench. split clamp stays on the bars. on the peg mount, only an allen bolt that passes through the peg remains.....steve

Attached Thumbnails Projects fabricated for my 08 Deluxe-2013-02-0421.24.35.jpg   Projects fabricated for my 08 Deluxe-2013-02-0421.23.22.jpg  
Old 02-05-2013 | 09:05 AM
Silver Fox
|
Club Member

Nice idea and good looking cup holders snip0721.

Old 02-05-2013 | 09:34 AM
Silver Fox
|
Club Member

Another little project was the Kuryakyn adjustable passenger foot pegs. They didn't work with the true dual exhaust on the left side. I scratched my head quite a while and came up with a spacer idea. Back to my machinist friend with my idea to see if he could make it. He made it, and it works, great. I also had to file off one side of the adjusting lever ring, and bend it to lay flatter to the footrest leg. Then I started with a stainless bolt bent it and welded it to the side of the adjusting ring to pull it when it is in the front position and along side the exhaust. Then I did a bunch of filing and grinding to get it into a nice shape. The better half now has a couple of positions for her feet, on the pegs and on the foot boards. She likes it.

Quick Reply: Projects fabricated for my 08 Deluxe