Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fatboy for a tall guy

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013 | 02:41 PM
Fatboy103
|
Intermediate
Default Fatboy for a tall guy

I'm 6'3 250 pounds and want to set my Fatboy up for comfort. Wish my seat was higher. Butt goes numb at points bc my butt is lower than my legs.

Seat-I will say the Mustang brand seat is disgusitingly comfortable. It is my understanding that it will put me lower to the ground and more forward. Was disapointed when I learned this.

Bars- The factory bars are horrible. Would bars that wouldn't change my factory cable length work? Or do I need 16 inch apes? What would you reccomend? Heard Heritage bars are good but not sure if they are good for my size.

I have a Linby Linbar, would moving the boards forward work and make a noticeable difference?

Old 01-30-2013 | 03:46 PM
bigjosh42
Cruiser

Hey bro. I'm right there with ya- 6'4, 3 bills. Bike was all stock last season except for the Harley Goodies I put on right away. The small 1" they extend the boards outwards made such a difference in comfort for my knees and gave me a little more room to move around on the boards. I havent done anything else to extend them forward, but have been looking around for something. I think Rivco sells a forward control kit for floor boards, but haven't done much research around it.

The stock bars and seat are absolutely miserable, i couldn't ride more than 50-60 miles at a time without my back cramping up and my *** going so numb it hurt to stand up. This winter I swapped to 16" apes, mostly becuase I like the style, but they also put me in more of an up-right position, rather than leaning forward to reach the bars. I rode an '03 fatty with 16's for a week a few years ago, and do not recall ever having back pains when on that.

As far as the seat goes- check out the HD tall-boy seat, or the LePera Maverick Daddy Long legs. They both sit you back 2-3" to give a little extra leg room

Hope this helps. Let me know what you find on the floor boards.

Old 01-30-2013 | 04:49 PM
Shvlhdz
Advanced

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/550-230 This might help out.
Cyclevisions Floorboard ext. kit +2"

Old 01-30-2013 | 05:39 PM
snip0721
Road Master

i use the kuryakan cruse arms on the boards. nice and easy to slide foot back and forth as needed. adjustable also. im not running a engine bar though. not sure if you could run both....steve

Old 01-30-2013 | 06:02 PM
greengoone
Tourer

I have Kury dually iso pegs on Harley engine guard with maverick daddy long legs seat and these help a lot. 6'3" with 35 inseam. The seat moved me back and up to create more leg room and is comfortable, but it does sit you up on the bike a little more than some. I can stretch my legs out on the pegs when cruising but I may get the cycle visions 2" extension to move the brake and shift lever forward. Dealer wouldn't put them on last year because they said they couldn't figure out how to extend the brake line forward 2". I researched some and found that magnum shielding will make a custom line to fit. May go with that this spring. My picture shows a C&C seat which looked great and was well made but didn't give the leg room the maverick LL does and wasn't as comfortable.

Last edited by greengoone; 01-30-2013 at 06:05 PM.
Old 01-30-2013 | 06:26 PM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member

As far as seats go you can look at the Harley tall boy seat. You can also go to the dealer and they will have seats you can try out. As far as handlebars I have 16's with 1.5 inch risers and I am 5'9 and still have plenty of bend in my arms. It might take sometime to get the bike just right but luckily there is no shortage of aftermarket parts for Harley.

Old 01-30-2013 | 06:56 PM
fatusboyus
Road Master

i know how ya feel bud, i'm 6'1" and long "legged" to say the least

this is what i done on my last bike, a 2000 fatboy...i put on some kuryakyn mark IV's and it stretched my legs out real good, plus its not big and bulky looking...i also put on harley goodies floorboard extensions, adjusted the handle bars and later on got another seat...all this done the trick for me, as a matter of fact, i just put them on my "new to me" 06 fatboy i just got this winter

as you can see in the pics, the mark IV's dont really stand out, its more like they blend in with the bike.....?

Old 02-16-2013 | 01:42 AM
Fatboy103
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by snip0721
i use the kuryakan cruse arms on the boards. nice and easy to slide foot back and forth as needed. adjustable also. im not running a engine bar though. not sure if you could run both....steve
Do I have to strech the controls with the boards? I have a Linby multi mustashe bar right now.

Old 02-16-2013 | 08:32 AM
shineybike
Road Captain

I have a 2004 heritage, that had lower bars on it when I got it. I have several seats including a stock fatboy driver seat. The stock heritage seat does sit me up higher and a little further back than the fatboy seat. And it's more comfortable. Might be a cheaper option than buying a new seat. I also have an engine guard with highway pegs set down as low as possible so I can ride with my legs straighter. I put on an externed rear brake pedal. Last summer I installed a stock set of heritage bars, that are sort of mini-apes. That did help my posture while riding. Oh, I'm about 6'3" with 36" inseam.

Old 02-16-2013 | 09:56 PM
snip0721
Road Master

Originally Posted by Fatboy103
Do I have to strech the controls with the boards? I have a Linby multi mustashe bar right now.
nope...the arms attach to the front/inside. nothing else to mess with. 20 minute install, and few minutes to adjust.....steve

Quick Reply: Fatboy for a tall guy