Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mounting an Air Horn (Wolo, Mini Beast, etc) behind tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013 | 09:25 PM
ghoticov
|
Elite HDF Member
Default Mounting an Air Horn (Wolo, Mini Beast, etc) behind tranny?

Has anyone here ever mounted your horn (specifically an Air Horn) behind the tranny where the the charcoal canister goes? I have read in other threads that this is where people mount the compressor for the shotgun shock so I assume there would be enough room. This is for a 2007 Softail Custom.

Here is an updated thread on what I decided to do... I mounted it to the swingarm like spydyr because there was not enough room for me to mount it where the charcoal canister is or behind the oil tank/in front of the rear splash guard:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...l#post10881039

Last edited by ghoticov; 02-07-2013 at 04:13 PM.
Old 01-29-2013 | 09:54 PM
spydyr
Road Captain

I made a small bracket and mounted it on the left side of the swingarm.... That's a Wolo Badboy air horn.

Attached Thumbnails Mounting an Air Horn (Wolo, Mini Beast, etc) behind tranny?-motorcycle-143small.jpg  
Old 01-29-2013 | 10:21 PM
ghoticov
|
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by spydyr
I made a small bracket and mounted it on the left side of the swingarm.... That's a Wolo Badboy air horn.
That could definitely be something that would work, I would just have to move my swingarm license plate over to the other side. Would you be interested in charging me to make a bracket like yours? Frabicating a bracket is not my stength. Lol

Old 01-29-2013 | 10:31 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member

LoL, you sound like a guy who wanted me to kit together solo bag mounts.

Old 01-29-2013 | 10:42 PM
ghoticov
|
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Kowan
LoL, you sound like a guy who wanted me to kit together solo bag mounts.
Doesn't hurt to ask, right? Lol I am willing to pay for it after all...not asking for a "favor".

Old 01-29-2013 | 10:47 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member

Just ribbing you.

Old 01-29-2013 | 11:18 PM
ghoticov
|
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Kowan
Just ribbing you.
I know, I know... its all good.

Old 01-30-2013 | 03:16 PM
ghoticov
|
Elite HDF Member

I got under the bike this morning and saw the charcoal canister. Not exactly sure how I am going to get it off... looks like I will have to take off the rear splash guard and unbolt the shocks to get to the bolts that hold it in place.

As far as mounting the horn there, I do think it is doable if I can figure out how to mount it to keep it stable. The mount for the charcoal canister is on the upper part, not lower part of the frame so I am thinking I could possibly get a piece of metal in a "L" shape. Flip it over (so the L is upside down).. bolt one part to the frame and then bolt the horn to the vertical piece.

What do you guys think?

Old 01-30-2013 | 04:36 PM
spydyr
Road Captain

Originally Posted by ghoticov
That could definitely be something that would work, I would just have to move my swingarm license plate over to the other side. Would you be interested in charging me to make a bracket like yours? Frabicating a bracket is not my stength. Lol
Not much to fabricating. Just get some angle stock from Home Depot, drill 3 holes, cut to fit, and voila. I'd feel bad for charging you to do it, really. Here's some pics to help you out visualizing it....

Attached Thumbnails Mounting an Air Horn (Wolo, Mini Beast, etc) behind tranny?-motorcycle-134.jpg   Mounting an Air Horn (Wolo, Mini Beast, etc) behind tranny?-motorcycle-135small.jpg   Mounting an Air Horn (Wolo, Mini Beast, etc) behind tranny?-motorcycle-136small.jpg  
Old 01-30-2013 | 05:56 PM
ghoticov
|
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by spydyr
Not much to fabricating. Just get some angle stock from Home Depot, drill 3 holes, cut to fit, and voila. I'd feel bad for charging you to do it, really. Here's some pics to help you out visualizing it....
Interesting. I would have to get a drill bit that's big enough but I don't have a way to cut the angle stock (unless I could use a dremmel?).

I bet you get a lot of "what is that on your swingarm" kind of questions, huh? Lol

Quick Reply: Mounting an Air Horn (Wolo, Mini Beast, etc) behind tranny?