Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Complaints???

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013 | 09:11 PM
Recovery21
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
I don't know a lot about pipes but just looking at them, Samson seems higher priced than V&H. And with the styles I've seen, I like V&H more. But that's me. Not much help I know.
For some reason Samson is more but I want the length of the Samsons. My dad is talking about getting fishtails, so I can't do those. The V&H are great pipes and the bike runs awesome, but I see too many of them in my area. I will keep mine in case I don't like them, but I don't think I will have a problem. And if I do then it will still look good to me.

Old 01-29-2013 | 09:36 PM
Scootluver
Cruiser

Get the fishtails anyways, by far the best exhaust out there period. Why do u think so many of us have them. Love the hell out of mine and the sound is amazing especially on decel!

Old 01-30-2013 | 07:09 AM
Recovery21
|
Advanced

Honestly glad to hear good things about them. I saw a lot of bikes with them on here. I should know better than to start the second guess game. I am going going to order them this Saturday and then tune it in my garage once I get them installed. One of the benefits of a carbuerated bike!

Old 01-30-2013 | 10:37 AM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Recovery21
I know it's like beating a dead horse, but I have to ask. I have searched the forums with little luck. I want Samson true duals with the 36" slach cut mufflers. BUT I have heard from 3 different Harley dealers that Samson exhaust is bad. The only complaint I have read is about the O2 ports and how they are in the way. Any help as to guidance would be greatly appreciated!!!
Just to be clear, they are saying the TRUAL DUAL set up is bad for performance, correct? Not ALL Samson exhaust. I have my eye on these, which Samson says will increase performance:

Old 01-30-2013 | 11:13 AM
Recovery21
|
Advanced

Correct! They are reffering to the rear jug and the bend in the pipe. They were making it sound like the bike wouldn't run because of it. The ones you are looking at will boost performance because of the clean sweeps.

Old 01-30-2013 | 11:41 AM
2006FLST
Road Master

Samson are great pipes. Had them on two previous bikes and they sound great. I would never listen to the dealer near me. I am sure everything I have done to my bike THEY would disagree with. But THEY are not riding my bike so **** on em. I think you would like them.

Old 01-30-2013 | 01:20 PM
Branner
Road Warrior

Recovery: Welcome from another Buffalo, NY'r! Where about are you, I'm in Williamsville.

As for the Samsons, I had them on my bike for close to 10 years and the only reason I took them off is to put a ThunderHeader on. They look and sound great, and hold up very well.

Did Buffalo Harley advise you to steer clear of them? Buffalo Choppers didn't recommend them either? Why? If so, what did they recommend? Curious...

Old 01-30-2013 | 02:06 PM
steamybob
Tourer

Originally Posted by Recovery21
I know it's like beating a dead horse, but I have to ask. I have searched the forums with little luck. I want Samson true duals with the 36" slach cut mufflers. BUT I have heard from 3 different Harley dealers that Samson exhaust is bad. The only complaint I have read is about the O2 ports and how they are in the way. Any help as to guidance would be greatly appreciated!!!
When I ordered my 2012 Deluxe I was sick for Samson cholos, but my dealer hadn't a right word for them - I came away thinking Samson were the biggest pile of crap known to man. I ended up with V & H at the dealer's recommendation.

I later found out that (In the U.K. at least) H-D have a tie-up with V & H, which is why the stealers push you that way.

After almost a year I've bitten the bullet and got my Samsons - fitted by my Indy.

I had no complaint with the V & H's, but the Samsons are absolutely superb both in quality and performance. Have no hesitation!

Moral of this story: When a dealer offers advice, make sure you disregard it! You've only to look at the number of delighted Samson users on here.

Old 01-30-2013 | 03:56 PM
Recovery21
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by Branner
Recovery: Welcome from another Buffalo, NY'r! Where about are you, I'm in Williamsville.

As for the Samsons, I had them on my bike for close to 10 years and the only reason I took them off is to put a ThunderHeader on. They look and sound great, and hold up very well.

Did Buffalo Harley advise you to steer clear of them? Buffalo Choppers didn't recommend them either? Why? If so, what did they recommend? Curious...
Awesome! I am in West Seneca. Buffalo Harley was NOT one of them. I won't go there because every time I have been there, the staff is good, but it just doesn't feel like a good dealer to me. I have only been to Southtowns though. Gowanda and Stan's both said the same thing about them.

Buffalo Chopper said that the bike would run like crap with those on it. He said that he installed a set on a bike and they couldn't get it to run, not even on the Dyno. That was my first time hearing that. Gowanda was the next one. He said the same thing about how it will run. Both of them said that if I bought it, they would install it but with no guarantees about the performance. After that, I called Stan's because I got a 20% off coupon in the mail off a single purchase. I asked parts about the Samson pipes. First response was "What's making you go with Samson?" I told them the look and the sound. Then she recommended V&H which is what I have now.

So now I am at 3 strikes and all three are out because I am going to buy them regardless especially since I am getting good responses from owners. The bike is pretty well tuned, but it is running lean. The adjustment screw is a little tight so I am going to have Gowanda fine tune it on the Dyno after I get them installed. Plus it has already been re-jetted with the stage 1 kit that was on it when I bought it.

Old 01-30-2013 | 04:06 PM
Recovery21
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by steamybob
When I ordered my 2012 Deluxe I was sick for Samson cholos, but my dealer hadn't a right word for them - I came away thinking Samson were the biggest pile of crap known to man. I ended up with V & H at the dealer's recommendation.

I later found out that (In the U.K. at least) H-D have a tie-up with V & H, which is why the stealers push you that way.

After almost a year I've bitten the bullet and got my Samsons - fitted by my Indy.

I had no complaint with the V & H's, but the Samsons are absolutely superb both in quality and performance. Have no hesitation!

Moral of this story: When a dealer offers advice, make sure you disregard it! You've only to look at the number of delighted Samson users on here.
Very true! The second dealer I talked to though has never steered my father or myself wrong yet though. That is why I was leaning to trust them. Been going there since I was 11. Back in the spring of last year, I bought the HD LED turn signals and brake light. Signals burned out after the second ride. Started with the left one and then went over to the right. They replaced them no problem. Well the same thing happened a few days later. They replaced them again and off I went. It happened a third time! This time they refunded me the money and looked at the whole electrical system to look for a problem with no cost to me. Nothing was found. They recommended an aftermarket LED insert which has been great to this day. Plus they have a lifetime warranty. Now I have them on all four corners and in the fender tips. This was the main reason why I want to trust them!

But with this topic, I am going to trust all of you! I highly doubt that I would get all of these responses if they were in fact garbage.

Quick Reply: Complaints???