Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recommendations for "Quiet" Pipes

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013 | 09:30 AM
jam436
Supporter

Originally Posted by gforrest2
+1 on the SE slip ons. Nice rumble, not too loud. On my Softail, I've had the V&H BR 2:2, (loud), D&D Fatcat (louder) and now some V&H slip-ons with the quiet baffle (just right).
I wasn't crazy about the Screamin' Eagle slip-on on my last bike (Switchback), it wasn't much louder than stock. The HD stock pipe was awful, I could barely hear it at all at cruising speeds, which is why I wanted something louder - who doesn't?

The Vance & Hines pipes are LOUD as sold, but with the optional "quiet" baffles they're just right.
Plenty loud with a perfect (IMO) sound, without drawing the ire of the neighbors of local law enforcement...
I'm want to pick up a set of the Big Shots for my Slim - I like the idea of the crossover connection, and with the baffles I can still maintain the back pressure should result in no loss of power like some straight pipes...

Old 01-27-2013 | 09:36 AM
chrisj49
Tourer

Originally Posted by jam436
I wasn't crazy about the Screamin' Eagle slip-on on my last bike (Switchback), it wasn't much louder than stock. The HD stock pipe was awful, I could barely hear it at all at cruising speeds, which is why I wanted something louder - who doesn't?

The Vance & Hines pipes are LOUD as sold, but with the optional "quiet" baffles they're just right.
Plenty loud with a perfect (IMO) sound, without drawing the ire of the neighbors of local law enforcement...
I'm want to pick up a set of the Big Shots for my Slim - I like the idea of the crossover connection, and with the baffles I can still maintain the back pressure should result in no loss of power like some straight pipes...
+1 on this. My buddy had a stock Dyna exhaust - could barely hear him when he rode up to my house. He did the SE slip ons and it was just a little louder.

My Heritage has V&H BSS. It had the stock baffles when I bought it - very loud. I swapped out for the Quiet Baffles and it made a huge difference. The tone is lower and low end torque is improved. It still sets off car alarms, but in general the sound is a little more muted.

Old 01-27-2013 | 09:51 AM
jaxbeachbadger
Cruiser

I'm getting the V&H 2 into 1 Propipe black installed tomorrow with a RSD air cleaner on my new Heritage. I'll let you know what I think. Exhaust guy at the dealer suggested I wait on the Quiet Baffles--said he would predict I wouldn't want/need them. I, too, am not looking for very loud, just a 'good' loud.

Old 01-27-2013 | 10:40 AM
Fierofly
Tourer

I drilled, Punched and pryed my Cats out. Then I got a 3/8 x18" drill bit and drilled holes into the baffle cap to get the sound I wanted till I could buy a D&D exhaust, That was 2yrs ago and I like the sound just fine. The PowerVision tuned it Great.

Old 01-27-2013 | 11:22 AM
2010Deluxeguy
Road Master

IMO the Supertrapp sounds worse than the stock mufflers. If you decide on them, id make sure you hear them on a similar bike first.

Old 01-27-2013 | 11:24 AM
Smileman
Tourer

Originally Posted by kkiley
The Vance and Hines Pro Pipe has to be one of the best buys around for performance and sound for the money.
+1 on that

Old 01-27-2013 | 12:00 PM
ihatecats78
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jaxbeachbadger
I'm getting the V&H 2 into 1 Propipe black installed tomorrow with a RSD air cleaner on my new Heritage. I'll let you know what I think. Exhaust guy at the dealer suggested I wait on the Quiet Baffles--said he would predict I wouldn't want/need them. I, too, am not looking for very loud, just a 'good' loud.
I agree 100% Performance is the main objective here, but I would like a little more rumble. Are you going indy or with the dealership? How much are you paying if you don't mind my asking?

Old 01-27-2013 | 01:12 PM
Markske
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Rakthi
Got the V&H with quiet baffle and added the Smartpartz baffle to it.
I did exactly the same: I have the V&H ShortShots (which are extremely loud), with the V&H Quiet baffles (not sure how much they reduce the noise, but it can't be much), and added the Smartpartz baffles (which really take off the harsh and loud tones, but keep the deep rumble and add some back pressure, which is good to eliminate popping on decel).
Good news is that the Smartpartz baffles are really cheap and they do work. Even my neighbors started to like my bike now!

Old 01-27-2013 | 02:25 PM
jaxbeachbadger
Cruiser

Originally Posted by ihatecats78
I agree 100% Performance is the main objective here, but I would like a little more rumble. Are you going indy or with the dealership? How much are you paying if you don't mind my asking?
V&H just did a price change last week, so the 2>1 Propipes now list at $779 (went up $30). I got a 10% discount from the dealer and no shipping. Also doing a dyno tune with the SE Race Tuner. Dealership is doing everything.

Old 01-27-2013 | 05:56 PM
L.F.O.D
Advanced

I went D&D FatCat with the "Quiet" baffle. Love them. Noticeable seat of the pants performance improvement, great sound, loud enough but not too loud.

Quick Reply: Recommendations for "Quiet" Pipes