Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 Softail Twin Cam 88 95" Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013 | 09:55 PM
QC
Club Member
Riders Club Member

That I couldn't tell you about the mounts. Haven't done that much research. Scott did say that just about any head will interchange. '06 and later 96" heads preferably. And yes, I know I'm losing some potential power by not getting the heads done, but I can't do it yet.

Old 01-29-2013 | 09:59 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Community Team

Originally Posted by Dan33klein
Thanks!

Looking at heads on eBay. It looks like 05 heads have the beehive springs.

I don't want dyna heads as they have mounts on them correct?
'05 heads do have beehive springs and the 7mm valve stems but they they will require considerable port work to be brought up the flow level of a set of unported '06 or later heads.

Not sure about the dyna heads but think it would depend on the year. I am pretty sure the same casting is used for dynas, softails and touring models; they are just machined for the model specific mounts. So, if you had a set of dyna heads from a later year, I would imagine that the casting has the bosses at the softail mount locations and you could machine the bosses as required. Like I said, not sure about that as I haven't tried it; someone else might know for sure.

Old 01-29-2013 | 10:11 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Community Team

Originally Posted by cwsharp
I have had more than one good performance shop tell me that the best thing for the money where heads are concerned are the SE heads with some clean up and cc'ing done after they are flowed.

As for the tensioners, I believe from my experience that the link chains and heat are the primary causes of wear. If you lose your rear inner cam journal from heat, then the tensioners are probably gone (or vice versa). I think the S&S or Andrews roller chain driven kits should be fine. If you want to save money use adjustable push rods and just change the tenioners on a regular maintenance basis.

I agree with most of what you said.

C#
I am so happy to hear that you agree with most of what I posted; what a relief. Just kidding.

Just as an FYI, there are many different versions of SE heads and the only one that comes close to matching the flow of a set of cleaned up '06 or later heads are the early SE Performance heads which are no longer made. The early SE Performance heads were a hybrid of EVO and TC with 76cc chambers. Bore to 95", SE flat tops, S&S 570 cams and those heads, out of the box, would deliver mid 90sHP and 100TQ every time.

There are several theories about why the early trensioners fail but the one I like is the constant and heavy spring pressure put on the tensioners. The early tensioners had a nasty habit of failing, without warning, causing catastrophic damage. That is why I suggested the OP change the tensioners to the CYCO tensioner; different material and better suited to handle the spring pressure.

You got me on losing the rear inner cam journal from heat; don't think that is a common ailment.

Old 01-30-2013 | 09:58 AM
QC
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Having looked over my notes from Scott at Hillside, he mentioned that when using the newer heads that the intake flanges from the newer heads also need to be used.

Old 01-30-2013 | 10:26 AM
Dan33klein
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by djl
'05 heads do have beehive springs and the 7mm valve stems but they they will require considerable port work to be brought up the flow level of a set of unported '06 or later heads.

Not sure about the dyna heads but think it would depend on the year. I am pretty sure the same casting is used for dynas, softails and touring models; they are just machined for the model specific mounts. So, if you had a set of dyna heads from a later year, I would imagine that the casting has the bosses at the softail mount locations and you could machine the bosses as required. Like I said, not sure about that as I haven't tried it; someone else might know for sure.
Thanks for the info on the 05 heads.
I think i would just stick with 06+ softail heads.

You guys probably think I am dumb saying I will be waiting 9 months to next winter to do any of the upgrades but I am already trying to locate a set of heads.

Originally Posted by QC
Having looked over my notes from Scott at Hillside, he mentioned that when using the newer heads that the intake flanges from the newer heads also need to be used.
Thats important info, by intake flanges i assume you mean the whole intake piece that go to the throttle body?

Old 01-30-2013 | 11:25 AM
QC
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Just the flanges themselves, not the entire manifold. And, no, your not being dumb to get as much info as possible long before its needed.

Old 01-30-2013 | 01:32 PM
Dan33klein
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by QC
Just the flanges themselves, not the entire manifold. And, no, your not being dumb to get as much info as possible long before its needed.
Thanks for clarifying, upon seeing how the parts go together, i now see that the flanges are by themselves.

Old 01-30-2013 | 02:01 PM
Dan33klein
|
Tourer

I don't want to contradict anyones thought's, I obviously must be missing something.

But if getting headwork done consists of:

porting
Punching out the new guides and installing new ones
reworking the combustion chamber and valve seats
New valves and springs
And decking the head for proper combustion.

What would be the difference if They started with my 88 heads or 06+ heads?

I understand the benefits of the newer heads, but if there going to be putting in new valves and springs,porting, and re doing the valve seats and chambers, why does it matter what they start with if they will be modifying it anyways?

Again, I am probably missing something.

I appreciate all the help and guidance!
Thanks

Old 01-30-2013 | 05:19 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Community Team

Originally Posted by Dan33klein
I don't want to contradict anyones thought's, I obviously must be missing something.

But if getting headwork done consists of:

porting
Punching out the new guides and installing new ones
reworking the combustion chamber and valve seats
New valves and springs
And decking the head for proper combustion.

What would be the difference if They started with my 88 heads or 06+ heads?

I understand the benefits of the newer heads, but if there going to be putting in new valves and springs,porting, and re doing the valve seats and chambers, why does it matter what they start with if they will be modifying it anyways?

Again, I am probably missing something.

I appreciate all the help and guidance!
Thanks
You are not missing anything and a direct answer to your question is if the heads are ported, it won't make any difference which year you choose, with one exception. The beehive springs and 7mm valves first appeared in '05; earlier years had straight wound springs and 8mm valves. Sounds like an insignificant difference but, given the choice, why settle for straight wound springs that limit lift to .525" compared to .600" or larger, heavier valves that take up a bit more room in the port?

I think the push to the later heads was based on the assumption that they would not be ported since those heads, with a good valve job, will flow enough for your proposed application. There are head porters, at least I know one, that used to charge $100 less to port '06 or later heads because there was much less "porting" required.

BTW, before you box up your heads and send them somewhere, you need to understand what you are buying. Every head porter offers different levels of head work, except BigBoyz. BigBoyz offers a "street" port job that includes disassembly/cleaining, intake and exhaust porting, performance valve job, removing factory powder coat from chambers, new guide seals and reassembly. Stock guides, valves and springs are retained. Measuring chambers, decking for compression, machining for compression releases, are all additional services. Other head porters offer "Stage I", "Street", "Pro-Street", etc. which are different levels and may include larger valves, new valve guide, shimming springs, decking for compression, etc. You need to know what you want from the head work, what the porter is offering and compare services and prices for the best value.

A set of '06 or later heads, cleaned up, performance valve job, new guide seals, chambers measured/equalized and heads decked for compression would be a good fit and value for your project but that is your call. No need to have heads that flow 350CFM with .510" lift cams.

Old 01-30-2013 | 09:22 PM
Dan33klein
|
Tourer

Thanks for clarifying that all up!
I was under the impression that they replaced the valves and valve springs.
I'm sure they would but for a lot more money.. Lol!

So I'm on the hunt for a smoking deal on 06+ heads. Preferably natural silver. But considering the black heads.

I'm amazed at the knowledge you guys have for being backyard mechanics on your bikes.
I appreciate everything. I will compare prices of big boys and valley racing.

Valley racing will be doing my tuning. But there still far enough away where it would be cheaper to ship my stuff, then to take it in person. So I will have to calculate shipping in with the price.

Any good venders for the pistons?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: 2001 Softail Twin Cam 88 95" Upgrade