Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Internal cables?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 03:57 PM
alika808
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Internal cables?

Im going for the clean look. I want to run all internal cables- throttle, brake and clutch. Has anybody done this? If so what would i need to accomplish this and how hard is it to complete? All help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 01-20-2013, 04:06 PM
redheadfred
Cruiser

A buddy of mine did it on his 05 roadking , he's running 20" carlini apes that are 1.5 " diameter . I'll try to post some pics soon

Old 01-20-2013, 04:11 PM
Fireman1501
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A good resource for parts is Excile Cycles. They have been running the internal cables for years now.

Old 01-20-2013, 04:15 PM
Bradley Jones
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As stated you def need a fat diameter set of bars. I've seen twist clutch setups to hide the clutch cable. I know they also sell and internal throttle cable setup. Definitely looks slick but I dont think I could get use to a twist clutch. If you know someone who does brakelines I cant see that being too difficult either. Check out the internal clutch and throttle setups online. If I remember correctly I took one look at the price and suddenly the cables being exposed didnt bother me anymore hahaha.

Old 01-20-2013, 04:17 PM
Bradley Jones
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Fireman1501
A good resource for parts is Excile Cycles. They have been running the internal cables for years now.
Yup they make there own kits. Top notch parts but this is where I priced em out before. Big bucks unless they came down in price. Its been a few years since I checked.

Old 01-20-2013, 04:38 PM
Motown Strag
Road Warrior

For clutch you have a few choices. You can get a low profile lever that is tighter to the bars and run a slimline clutch cable through the bars. You can try the exile or eurocomponents LH twist mech to activate the clutch but you will need to install an auto clutch or the exile kit with modified stock clutch or lastly you can do a foot clutch and switch to a jockey or tank shift.

On the right side you can do an internal twist throttle (there are several available) with a single cable and add a return spring on the throttle and for the hand brake you can get a goodridge double banjo bolt and plumb your front brake to the rear master with a proportioning valve on the back brake (this is how exile does it)

For switches see the Eurocomponents catalog for the low profile switches they have or go to a grip ace although the billet grip selection is limited unless you want to make a custom set.

You can do this in a 1in bar if you want with the eurocomponents stuff, for the thicker bars you have to go with the exile stuff and you may have to do some welding...Drew had to weld his internal throttle in due to complications with the 1in grip portions of his fat bars.

There may be other custom shops with components as well that others could recommend.

Old 01-20-2013, 04:43 PM
SwiftyBKells
Tourer

Fireman, I've been trying to get a hold of you through PM's but I haven't gotten a response.

OK, back to topic....

Old 01-20-2013, 05:25 PM
jreichart
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's what I did:

Exile internal throttle, welded in (can also use set screw)
Russell pro system brake line and fittings, run in bars
Grip Ace
Exile aluminum grips
Foot clutch / jockey shift

Hardest part was getting the throttle and brake line through my bars, but even that wasn't bad. Didn't need to add any return spring on the throttle body, it already has one that works just fine.

Attached Thumbnails Internal cables?-9dc50817.jpg   Internal cables?-b38cb86c.jpg  
Old 01-20-2013, 05:59 PM
alika808
Tourer

[QUOTE=jreichart;10800158]Here's what I did:

Exile internal throttle, welded in (can also use set screw)
Russell pro system brake line and fittings, run in bars
Grip Ace
Exile aluminum grips
Foot clutch / jockey shift

Hardest part was getting the throttle and brake line through my bars, but even that wasn't bad. Didn't need to add any return spring on the throttle body, it already has one that works just fine.

Hey brotha what foot clutch/jockey shift setup did u use?

Old 01-20-2013, 06:00 PM
alika808
Tourer

Originally Posted by Motown Strag
For clutch you have a few choices. You can get a low profile lever that is tighter to the bars and run a slimline clutch cable through the bars. You can try the exile or eurocomponents LH twist mech to activate the clutch but you will need to install an auto clutch or the exile kit with modified stock clutch or lastly you can do a foot clutch and switch to a jockey or tank shift.

On the right side you can do an internal twist throttle (there are several available) with a single cable and add a return spring on the throttle and for the hand brake you can get a goodridge double banjo bolt and plumb your front brake to the rear master with a proportioning valve on the back brake (this is how exile does it)

For switches see the Eurocomponents catalog for the low profile switches they have or go to a grip ace although the billet grip selection is limited unless you want to make a custom set.

You can do this in a 1in bar if you want with the eurocomponents stuff, for the thicker bars you have to go with the exile stuff and you may have to do some welding...Drew had to weld his internal throttle in due to complications with the 1in grip portions of his fat bars.

There may be other custom shops with components as well that others could recommend.

Thanks motown

Quick Reply: Internal cables?