Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering my 2006 Softail Standard?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 08:41 AM
Hodie
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering my 2006 Softail Standard?

I'm thinking about lowering my 2006 Softail Standard. I have heard from some people that it will affect my ride a lot and others say not at all. I'm looking to hear from people who have lowered their softails to get their input. If you have lowered your bike, what kit did you use?

Old 01-20-2013, 08:54 AM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hodie
I'm thinking about lowering my 2006 Softail Standard. I have heard from some people that it will affect my ride a lot and others say not at all. I'm looking to hear from people who have lowered their softails to get their input. If you have lowered your bike, what kit did you use?
I used the Dead Creek Cycles 2" lowering collars and to me, it rides and looks GREAT. They are also easy to install.

http://www.deadcreekcycles.com/No-Sh...Kit_p_704.html

Old 01-20-2013, 09:12 AM
fatusboyus
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

i had a 06 standard as well and didnt have +$1k to spend on a lowering system, so i opted for the cheapo $17 lowering bolts from ebay....they worked just fine and rode about the same in my opinion....and left my with lots of mod $ i spent on the rear wheel (sure do miss this bike)

Attached Thumbnails Lowering my 2006 Softail Standard?-bikepics110.jpg  
Old 01-20-2013, 09:16 AM
Benway
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The effect it will have on your ride is that you will loose 2" of swingarm travel. That's all. You'll bottom out sooner.

This hasn't been a problem for me, even two upping occasionally.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:37 AM
magna
Stellar HDF Member
Received 238 Likes on 146 Posts

I went with the Harley bolt kit lowered it about an 1" or so, no problem with handling or anything else.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:23 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Shotgun shock on back, progressive monotubes with an inch off up front. I ride pretty much slammed with a touch of rebound. Best ride I have ever had in nearly 40 years of motorcycles. Is it a 17 dollar fix? Absolutely not! Is it worth every penny? Absolutely it is. Search some threads here on the Shotgun before you make a final decision. If you know anyone on this site that has one send them a private message for their thoughts and opinion, shoot, ask a stranger before you make your decision! Best mod ever and I'm not alone in that thought process. If nothing else put on what you have to put on and save your nickels, dimes and pennies for later on down the road. Lowering bolts makes a bike look lower, obviously, but it strips you of allot of suspension and shock travel. You can't loose 1 or 2 inch's of travel and NOT have it affect your ride. I don't know who's standard that is in the pictures on this thread but it's one of the nicest ones I have seen in a mighty long time. It looks as though it was done much like how I have/am doing on/to my Deluxe, simple but clean, nice un-complicated lines and no one single thing taking your attention away from the entire bike. I was never a big fan of the "bobtail fender" but even that looks nice on that bike. It never ceases to amaze me how guys can take a stock bike and make it look awesome, those are the Harley's I like best, clean, simple and not "stuff" all over it. Thats a sweet Standard for sure. If it's the one you sold it's easy to see why it is missed!!

Last edited by tbonetony06; 01-20-2013 at 10:27 AM.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:24 AM
jreichart
Road Warrior

Lowered the rear 2" with bolts, and the front 2" with progressive springs. I also increased the preload on the rear to prevent bottoming out on big hits. It is a rougher ride, and big potholes will bounce you outta the seat, but its not too bad. I prefer the look, so I endure the ride. Always gotta give up some comfy *** for some badass!

Old 01-20-2013, 10:39 AM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by jreichart
Always gotta give up some comfy *** for some badass!
Lol Right on!

Old 01-20-2013, 10:43 AM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,799 Likes on 9,866 Posts

I found some H-D lowering shocks on Ebay right after I got mine. Lowered 3/4-1". No troubles.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:56 AM
sagebrush1976
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I also used the cheap eBay bolts and just tightened up the preload. Have ridden 2-up quite a bit with no real complaints.

Quick Reply: Lowering my 2006 Softail Standard?