Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering my 2006 Softail Standard?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 11:44 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Your going to be very happy with your decision rkduq120 as will your wife. As for the 422's? It would be unfair to comment as I have never had them but I have read about them and I can't and don't see how they can even compare to the Shotgun. They can do all sorts of things for you and it can all be done on the fly. I can make this comment about the 422's, I have seen guys on here that has had the 422's pull them off to install the shotgun and they say there is no comparison between the 2, the Shotgun being the ultimate! It's "$kaching$" but worth every penny of it. Of all the people I have seen on here go with the Shotgun I have yet to read or hear of 1 single complaint. When's the last time you have heard or seen that with any one given single part or mod with any maker or vendor on here or out there?

Last edited by tbonetony06; 01-21-2013 at 11:47 AM.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:17 PM
BarrettsPrivateer
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Replaced the stock rear shocks with 422's five years ago, probably one of the better changes I've made to the bike. I wanted the bike lowered and expected to sacrifice some ride quality but I was very surprised and happy when I found the bike was actually much more comfortable to ride with the 422's as compared to the stock shocks. Made me realize how bad the stockers really were. Not saying the 422's are the best, just that I was very satisfied with both looks and ride after installing them. What I find comfortable and what you find comfortable may be very different.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:30 PM
magnum629c
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

wow sounds like u love them 422s how.low do u have urs set?

Old 01-22-2013, 10:11 AM
BarrettsPrivateer
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I have mine set pretty low but not at the bottom of the range. I left maybe a 1/4 inch of the adjustable range (5/16" of adjustment on the nut equals approx 1" of ride height) which I would think means I lowered the rear of the bike 1.5 inches of the 2 inch ride height adjustment range provided by the 422's. The stock kickstand would no longer hold the bike up after installing the 422's (stock front suspension) so it'll have to be modified. I think harley sells one that works with lowered suspension but I just heated and bent mine to let the bike lean over to where I know it ain't going back over the other way. I stand by my earlier comments above, but I'll also add that I got these off an acquaintance who replaced them with an air ride system. I usually don't buy used parts but I knew the guy only had them on for maybe 100km at the most. He loved them for when he rode solo but found they bottomed way to easily with his woman on the back, think he wanted to be able to do quick adjustments without wrenches for when she was gonna be on the back. I'll also add that while I have done longer rides with these shocks (600-700km/day), I think there are probably better suspensions for those that are long distance riders, I just can't comment on them having never used them myself. I have bottomed out, but can't really blame the shocks for me hitting a huge pothole when looking at something else. So yes I am very happy with these shocks, both with looks and ride quality, but I think that given the fact I have only the stockers (very poor IMO) to compare to needs to be considered as well if anyone listens to my opinion on the 422's.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:31 PM
Anthony Nalli
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm just 5' 4" and went with the bolts to lower the rear 1 inch. I first changed seats to the reduced reach seat and switch from boards to pegs for my forward controls (which I was having trouble reaching). There was enough improvement with the seat that I almost cancelled the bolt lowering, but I thought 1 extra inch will be that much easier for me, and could even provide a cooler look.

I could have taken it down more than just 1 inch but the dealer advised against that. From what I've been reading here, more than that might carry with it some compromises that most people seem willing to accept. I want the best of everything while trying to accommodate my short legs, so 1 inch worked for me.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:50 AM
alcotune
Tourer

Originally Posted by machinistmate
I found some H-D lowering shocks on Ebay right after I got mine. Lowered 3/4-1". No troubles.
I got a set of these of another member here... check the classifieds.
Might want to note that some softails have lower shocks from the factory (from website 3/4 to 1" lower - FLSTN, FLSTSB, FLSTFB, FLSTSE/2/3, '07 FXSTD, and FXSTSSE/2.

I got them 2 days ago, haven't installed them yet so I can't comment on ride.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:46 AM
highhillbill
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much of a pita is it too install the Lowering Bolt kits?? is it worth the Trouble?

Old 01-23-2013, 12:41 PM
The_Lurker
Novice

Originally Posted by ghoticov
I used the Dead Creek Cycles 2" lowering collars and to me, it rides and looks GREAT. They are also easy to install.

http://www.deadcreekcycles.com/No-Sh...Kit_p_704.html

Does anyone know if these would work with a 92 Heritage FLSTC?

thanks.....

Old 01-23-2013, 01:52 PM
mantracker
2nd Gear
Default lower

well I tried the readjusting the shocks, a few turns worked good, but then with me and the light wife, well it bottomed out easy, then found some springs you replace the stock ones with, good choice their, but stay with the blue, I went with the strongest, well ride was stiff, but she didn't bottom out, wife didn't care for the ride, so wasn't going to purchase the blue springs due to costing $135.00 so I bought a new pair of stock shocks, and just a few turns, and were happy. Oh I have a 2000 Deuce, and their the lower shocks for all the other softails, as I was told by dealer. so just get some deuce shocks and should help.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:05 AM
trumph
Stage IV
Thumbs up softie with spokes

Fatusboyus that is one sweet softail man love the rear spoke wheel

Quick Reply: Lowering my 2006 Softail Standard?