Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running Hot in Heavy Traffic

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007 | 07:43 PM
Dinger
|
Road Master
Default Running Hot in Heavy Traffic

I decided to ride to work today. There was some heavy rush hour trafficthe last couple of miles, adda couple of long traffic signals and I'm feeling some serious heat from the engine. I also noticed therea decrease in power so I didn't push it when the signal turned green. I didn't notice any pinging as the bike is set to run lean by the factory.

Bike is new, only 500miles.I'm a little concerned. I'm thinking about anoil cooler. I hope it can handle occasional days in traffic....

Anyone have heat issues?

Old 02-06-2007 | 08:07 PM
Oldtimer of NM
Road Master
Default RE: Running Hot in Heavy Traffic

That might have been a heat problem. As best I can remember, the engine management system goes through a 2 or 3 stage detuning cycle when the engine is close to overheating. It won't let the engine be damaged. It might be a good investment to get an oil temp guage and see if you really need an oil cooler or the electronics are breaking down when they get warm. Most electronic system failure happen early in the life cycle so, being a new bike, there is a chance that is your real problem.

Old 02-06-2007 | 09:16 PM
Soft06
Outstanding HDF Member

So with an oil temp guage, what temp with dino oil is cause for concern (pulling over shutting her down)?

Old 02-06-2007 | 09:19 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member

Damn, you didn't buy a disposable bike.
It will be fine.
Everyone worries, but really now... repeat after me. It WILL be FINE

Now your thighs, that's another story

Old 02-06-2007 | 10:20 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member

07's run hotter than previous years.
Unless your dealer did the download you do not have a heat management
system. It is a free download from your dealer. Few people I know do it.
Your bike will run cooler and more efficient if you go Stage 1.

Old 02-06-2007 | 10:27 PM
billvaughn
Tourer

Sheesh, Where do you live?? It's the middle of winter?? Your still going through the breakin period so that could be a factor...I can only speak for the TC88 and I have had no heat issues except my thighs in the summer in stop n go traffic....

[IMG]local://upfiles/2670/762B2C184E464A03A49EAF3483387902.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-06-2007 | 10:48 PM
Madpoodle
Cruiser

Some of us are still riding.. Winter has yet to arrive

Old 02-06-2007 | 11:22 PM
NW FXSTS
Road Captain

I rode for hours in Yakima, WA last summer for a HOG Ralley at over 115 degrees temps, no engine issues!!! I can't imagine there being a hotter temp this winter?

Old 02-06-2007 | 11:23 PM
KY23
Tourer

I was having heat issues with my '06 Heritage classic. Once I switched to fully synthetic in all holes, new pipes, new air cleaner and the power commander the heat issues are gone. After all this was complete I rode multiple times in 95 degree heat and in traffic with no issues at all. I think the biggest difference was the synthetic oil.

Old 02-06-2007 | 11:43 PM
rcmty
Tourer

I have a 07 Heritage and my first 500 miles I like to have roasted while riding it. It will cool down with some miles and your first 1000 mile service change your oil to synthetic. I also got the free down load from H-D on the recall and that help cool it down more. Just don't expect it to run as cool as the older models but it will cool down enough so you can enjoy riding it without roasting.
I just put vance & hines big shot longs and big sucker with pc111 and it will still turn the pipes cherry red about three inches from where they bolt on the heads if you let it idle for anytime. Now I have about 2000 miles on it and it's not half as hot as it was!!! ( I live in Florida)

Quick Reply: Running Hot in Heavy Traffic