Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fork ? For Crossbones/Springer Owner

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 10:25 AM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Fork ? For Crossbones/Springer Owner

Hey Gang!

Quick question for you guys with Crossbones/Springers:

What is the correct diameter of the sprung fork on the Harley Davidson springer?

I ask because I want to relocate my front sigs by mounting them to that fork using clamps like the ones in the photo below. I can measure my forks when I get home but I was hoping some of you might already know or are close by to your Springer that you could take a quick looksy for met!

Thanks,

Skeez

Attached Thumbnails Fork ? For Crossbones/Springer Owner-signalclamp.jpg  
Old 01-17-2013, 10:36 AM
hspring03
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

The forks aren't round. They are oval.... I doubt very much those clamps will work...

I've seen over 100 different Springers in person and no one has used them

Old 01-17-2013, 10:43 AM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by hspring03
The forks aren't round. They are oval.... I doubt very much those clamps will work...

I've seen over 100 different Springers in person and no one has used them
The rigid forks (the ones that connect to the neck of the motorcycle) are oval. The sprung forks (the ones that pass through the springs and provide the suspension) are round. I have seen these clamps used on Springers in photos on the internet but there is no way for me to know who the owners are in order to contact them and ask the size.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:47 AM
blastonerski
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Skeez, are these the ones from Todd's Cycle??

Originally Posted by Skeezmachine
The rigid forks (the ones that connect to the neck of the motorcycle) are oval. The sprung forks (the ones that pass through the springs and provide the suspension) are round. I have seen these clamps used on Springers in photos on the internet but there is no way for me to know who the owners are in order to contact them and ask the size.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:54 AM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by blastonerski
Skeez, are these the ones from Todd's Cycle??
Hey Blast,

I just grabbed that photo off the internet to show as reference so people will know which type of clamp I mean to use. There are various companies that make that style of clamp. Harley makes them but they are for regular forks so I imagine they are much larger in diameter than what I need since the sprung fork on my Bones is such a small diameter. I need to find out what that diameter is and then I will search around to see who might make a set of that size.

Love your Scoot! How do you like that exhaust? I thought about looking into a set for myself in black. Not 100% happy with my Supertrapp's sound but I don't want to give up on it yet. I still have to do an air cleaner and tune to see if it will wake up the exhaust tone a little bit.

Last edited by Skeezmachine; 01-17-2013 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Added exhaust question.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:24 AM
Crossbones
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they're approx. 3/4 inch in diameter...

Old 01-17-2013, 11:38 AM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Crossbones
they're approx. 3/4 inch in diameter...
Great! Thanks for that.

So that would make them approximately 19 mm which is how all these styles of clamps are sized. That stinks because almost everything I can find runs between 31 and 41 mm. Looks like I am going to have to find some that have those plastic or rubber inserts to change the inside diameter.

Old 01-17-2013, 12:33 PM
blastonerski
Road Master

Thanks Skeez! I love the Thunderheader exhuast. I had it tuned by Hiro Koiso (Google him) here in Las Vegas. Gained at least 16hp and the sound is awesome. I actually want a "chrome" version, I'm going more "Chrome" and less black so If you want get a chrome one and we can do a swap

Hey Blast,
Love your Scoot! How do you like that exhaust? I thought about looking into a set for myself in black. Not 100% happy with my Supertrapp's sound but I don't want to give up on it yet. I still have to do an air cleaner and tune to see if it will wake up the exhaust tone a little bit.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:08 PM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by blastonerski
Thanks Skeez! I love the Thunderheader exhuast. I had it tuned by Hiro Koiso (Google him) here in Las Vegas. Gained at least 16hp and the sound is awesome. I actually want a "chrome" version, I'm going more "Chrome" and less black so If you want get a chrome one and we can do a swap

Or maybe you can get a chrome one and sell me that black one when you're done with it?

Old 01-17-2013, 04:23 PM
blastonerski
Road Master

I wish it was that easy! haha...I'm tapped out, after the Springer front end then had to get some body work done on the fender and get it repainted, etc. Time to save up again...I'll let you know if I do buy a new Thunderheader exhaust, but man these things are $$$. Black ones are actually more than teh chrome version, not sure why...

Or maybe you can get a chrome one and sell me that black one when you're done with it?