Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

apes to what

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013 | 07:51 PM
mcpastor
Tourer

Originally Posted by Bone Doc
mcpastor, I have to say you have a sweet ride yourself. I have a question about your airhorn. Is it from Les Brown at www.metalartsinc.com ? If so, I have questions. If not, who is the manufacturer ? After looking at your bike, my next mod will probably be chroming the front end. It's funny, chrome always looks nice.

The pictures below are before I rotated the bars down but they give you a different perspective.
Thanks! I like the HD 1.25" beach bars. I think mine are very similar now that I see the additional pics you included. I think I'll get longer throttle, idle and brake cables tho. It made a big difference on yours. I'll stick with black though with my black bike.

Yes that's a metalarts horn by Les Brown. I ordered one and never got it. Actually it was delayed so long I cancelled my order and asked for my money back. Heard others were having that problem so I made sure to order on Amazon.com that has buyer protection. That's how I got my money back. Then I Googled "Metalarts horn craigslist" and found a new old stock one someone was selling in San Francisco. I got a great deal at $125. The trumpets were upside down (short on top) probably an older design to fit behind the leg faring of an Ultra Classic. I switched the trumpets so the longer is on top. I also had to get new air tubes because the originals were stiff and one was closed off (kinked) where it looped. Cheap repair at the local Ace Hardware store. I found some springs that fit inside the air tubes that keep them from closing now. Good to go for a long time. Super easy to install on the bike.

Old 01-16-2013 | 10:46 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by mcpastor
Thanks! I like the HD 1.25" beach bars. I think mine are very similar now that I see the additional pics you included. I think I'll get longer throttle, idle and brake cables tho. It made a big difference on yours. I'll stick with black though with my black bike.

Yes that's a metalarts horn by Les Brown. I ordered one and never got it. Actually it was delayed so long I cancelled my order and asked for my money back. Heard others were having that problem so I made sure to order on Amazon.com that has buyer protection. That's how I got my money back. Then I Googled "Metalarts horn craigslist" and found a new old stock one someone was selling in San Francisco. I got a great deal at $125. The trumpets were upside down (short on top) probably an older design to fit behind the leg faring of an Ultra Classic. I switched the trumpets so the longer is on top. I also had to get new air tubes because the originals were stiff and one was closed off (kinked) where it looped. Cheap repair at the local Ace Hardware store. I found some springs that fit inside the air tubes that keep them from closing now. Good to go for a long time. Super easy to install on the bike.
You answered my questions about metalarts. It's f'in amazing. I had the same exact experience. Ordered a horn through his website and didn't receive anything for 1 month. I tried calling him on the phone and emailed him without response. I disputed the payment through the credit card company and received the funds back. I Googled but couldn't find anyone other than metalarts selling the horns. What sucks is they happen to be good looking horns. I'll search again. If I can't find any, Wolo horns are an alternative. http://www.wolo-mfg.com/air.htm

I appreciate the info. Good luck with the cables.

Old 01-17-2013 | 01:30 AM
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Outstanding HDF Member

Maybe have you considered your apes are just to tall for you? Maybe 14"ers?

I had BurlyBrand 38.5"ers with them pushed down just enough so they cleared my tank... and a had massive pain in between the shoulder blades.

also had ChubbyWild1 knuckles those were even worse.... Had to lean way forward to reach the bars on those...

Then went to 14" BurlyBrand apes... no pain anywhere.... I'm 5'10"

You may want to go to your local biker bar where everybody has people they know and ask to sit on the bikes for a tester... Maybe offer them a cold one for a test ride.... lol...

I've had 4 sets of bars on my bike.... pricey $$$ change-overs those were even with me doing all the R&R on everything...

GOODLUCK!!

Old 03-01-2013 | 07:13 PM
Pepsimayn
Tourer

Originally Posted by dansax
Love my Burly Bikini Beach Bars.
Which risers are those?

Love what you've done with those accents, BTW!