Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

apes to what

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013 | 06:32 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member

I am 72 years old and have been riding with buckhorns for the last 27 years. I still think they are the most comfortable bars for me anyway. When I put my hands out they fall right on the grips at the right height.

Attached Thumbnails apes to what-2004f-034.jpg   apes to what-2010-apr-and-may-015-sportster.jpg  
Old 01-15-2013 | 06:53 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member

For me, there is nothing more comfortable than beach bars. Mine are the HD beach bars rotated down as far as they can before the cables hit the fuel tank. The bars sit on fat bar risers (3.6") and allow for internal wiring but I had to replace all the stock cables. Went with the Diamondback SS braided cables.

Attached Thumbnails apes to what-oldschool-leftside_zpsbc477866.jpg   apes to what-oldschool-rightside_zps39df64d6.jpg  
Old 01-15-2013 | 07:13 PM
mcpastor
Tourer

Originally Posted by Bone Doc
For me, there is nothing more comfortable than beach bars. Mine are the HD beach bars rotated down as far as they can before the cables hit the fuel tank. The bars sit on fat bar risers (3.6") and allow for internal wiring but I had to replace all the stock cables. Went with the Diamondback SS braided cables.
Your bike looks really nice. Any more pics from different angles? I took another look at mine and I think it might be the stretched cables that make it look kind of awkward, not the bars themselves. I used the stock cables and they look kind of stretched. I had the HD shop splice and lengthen the wires that went inside the bars. They quoted me a price and stuck with the quote even though they took a lot longer than expected. I think the newer Harleys allow you to plug in lengthening adapters. Maybe instead of investing in new bars I'll just get new throttle cables and front brake cable.

Last edited by mcpastor; 01-15-2013 at 07:15 PM.
Old 01-15-2013 | 07:42 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by mcpastor
Your bike looks really nice. Any more pics from different angles? I took another look at mine and I think it might be the stretched cables that make it look kind of awkward, not the bars themselves. I used the stock cables and they look kind of stretched. I had the HD shop splice and lengthen the wires that went inside the bars. They quoted me a price and stuck with the quote even though they took a lot longer than expected. I think the newer Harleys allow you to plug in lengthening adapters. Maybe instead of investing in new bars I'll just get new throttle cables and front brake cable.
mcpastor, I have to say you have a sweet ride yourself. I have a question about your airhorn. Is it from Les Brown at www.metalartsinc.com ? If so, I have questions. If not, who is the manufacturer ? After looking at your bike, my next mod will probably be chroming the front end. It's funny, chrome always looks nice.

The pictures below are before I rotated the bars down but they give you a different perspective.

Old 01-15-2013 | 08:05 PM
Midgard
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Jarhead Red
I just bought my Heritage last week so I have not put extensive ride time in YET. So far the only gripe I've got is that the apes on the bike are pull backs and I got some chimp arms so they are really close. HOWEVER, they are about 2-4 inches below the top of my shoulder (when I don't slouch) and they are pretty comfortable. When the summer comes, I'm gonna take the windshield off and rotate them forward a bit and I think they'll be perfect!
Yup, lose the windshield and push your bars frwd so they are straight up and down - that will def. help your comfort.

Old 01-15-2013 | 10:54 PM
fall guy
Advanced

Love my beach bars.

Old 01-16-2013 | 04:45 AM
jessultra
|
Road Master

well guys think im going to go with beach bars dont know what co. yet , have another question though with 16in apes to beach bars will i also have to change the cables ?

Old 01-16-2013 | 09:03 AM
Jarhead Red
Tourer

Originally Posted by JESSDELUXE
well guys think im going to go with beach bars dont know what co. yet , have another question though with 16in apes to beach bars will i also have to change the cables ?
I don't know. cables might be too long from 16 inchers. Here is my question....what are you going to do with the ape bar you got?!!! It would be just right for someone tall.....like myself for instance!

Old 01-16-2013 | 11:20 AM
Benway
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by JESSDELUXE
Better to have too much cable than not enough. I went from stock Heritage bars (12" or so) to beach bars and the cables are a tad too short. Depending on the pullback and wing-span of your new bars, you may be ok..

Old 01-16-2013 | 11:47 AM
steamybob
Tourer

Unfortunately, with Burly 38.5" Beach Bars, you'll need to swop the lot.

Doh! I should pay more attention - this applies to swopping from stock. I'll keep my big mouth shut and leave it to the ape experts!

Last edited by steamybob; 01-16-2013 at 11:50 AM.

Quick Reply: apes to what