Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

apes to what

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013 | 11:04 AM
Benway
Elite HDF Member

You have to go up or down. Nothing in between will do! You've already been up, so down she goes! I went with only 34-36" (if I recall) beech bars so I could still turn around in a parking lot. Super comfy and couldn't be happier. And it gives it that low, mean look.

Old 01-14-2013 | 11:07 AM
blastonerski
Road Master

big papa AZ, If you're looking for apes, I'm selling my old setup: 14" Wild 1 chubby apes, 1.5" wild 1 risers with Willie G Billet top clamp. Used it for less than 500 miles only...Pristine condition, and clean...Give me your email and I can send you pics when it was installed on my Deluxe. I'm selling them because I switched over to a Springer front end.

Originally Posted by big papa AZ
I have the stock deluxe bars rotated down kinda like beach bars. Not as good looking as beach bars, but quite comfy. I was thinking about apes, cause I all I heard was how comfy they are. Maybe you could try 2" shorter ones.

Old 01-14-2013 | 11:08 AM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member

Those look tall. I had mine made so they would end up at shoulder height.
Perfect for me on short or extended rides.

Old 01-14-2013 | 04:51 PM
Bznitch
Road Master

I can't wait to get my apes on, I find them more comfortable. Perhaps try rolling them into different positions before changing them?

Old 01-15-2013 | 05:07 AM
jessultra
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by tbonetony06
Hmmm, more food for thought. As soon as I get ready to pull the trigger on some apes a thread like this one pops up. I have had guys tell me that the apes are the best thing since gold teeth then a thread pops up where a guy can't take them any more and has to get rid of them. I wish I could find a bike to "rent" that had apes on them. I would hate to make a 1k mistake!
wish we were closer i would let you ride with them , im 6 ft and they come just a smidge above my shoulders im just always sore from riding and i think they have alot to do with that i even got rid of my lepara seat and got a stock heritage seat

Old 01-15-2013 | 04:29 PM
dansax
Elite HDF Member

Love my Burly Bikini Beach Bars.

Attached Thumbnails apes to what-dscf0630.jpg   apes to what-dscf0629.jpg  
Old 01-15-2013 | 04:44 PM
tmac00333
Grand HDF Member

I've had both. Apes are the coolest-looking handlebar, hands down, but if your hands are above your shoulders, your arms will go numb and/or you will be uncomfortable after 20 minutes.

Beach bars are only slightly less cooler-looking and are 10 times more comfortable.

For the record, I have 12 -inch mini apes. I love them, but I'm going to switch to beach bars in another year or so because I'm old and I just don't care.

Old 01-15-2013 | 04:58 PM
mcpastor
Tourer

Funny, I've had beach for awhile and was thinking of going ape again. My '06 Heritage Classic came with mini apes, which were the most comfortable bars I've had. They just didn't make a style statement IMHO. Then I went to RKII bars from Wild1, internal wires. Now I'm riding 550 beach bars from Wild1, internal wires. Both are similar but the bends on the beach bars are smoother, not as angular as the RK's were. Sometimes I like the looks of my Wild1's and at certain angles I think they look awkward. Every bar seems to have its awkward angles on a Heritage. I was thinking of visiting the shop and looking at Street Bob apes.

Attached Thumbnails apes to what-img_1931-small.jpg  

Last edited by mcpastor; 01-15-2013 at 05:13 PM.
Old 01-15-2013 | 05:46 PM
Benway
Elite HDF Member

As far as comfort goes, the RK 'comfort' replacement bars from HD were the best I've ever ridden with, but lack any style statement what-so-ever. Beechbars FTW especially when you're lowered with a LePera Solo.

Old 01-15-2013 | 06:03 PM
Jarhead Red
Tourer

I just bought my Heritage last week so I have not put extensive ride time in YET. So far the only gripe I've got is that the apes on the bike are pull backs and I got some chimp arms so they are really close. HOWEVER, they are about 2-4 inches below the top of my shoulder (when I don't slouch) and they are pretty comfortable. When the summer comes, I'm gonna take the windshield off and rotate them forward a bit and I think they'll be perfect!

I think anything over the shoulder would/could be an issue even if you are tall/lanky like I am! Maybe just some shorter apes if you like the look? If you go to a beach bar, how much additional modding will it take with all the cables/wiring etc? What is the cost? Will that be necessary if you dropped them down 2 inches or so?

Food for .

Attached Thumbnails apes to what-harley-5.jpg  

Quick Reply: apes to what