Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Differences in Heritage & Road King

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2005, 09:23 PM
dmealslms
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Differences in Heritage & Road King

Ready to buy a Harley. Love the Road King. Have a couple of friends who have Harley's and they have advised me that a Heritage would be much smoother ride. I would like to know the differences between the two. Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan.

Old 01-02-2005, 10:19 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts
Default RE: Differences in Heritage & Road King

Can't figger out why they'd say the Heritage Softail would be smoother. The Road King is a tourer-type. Has a much more modern frame design, less sprung weight on the rear, and probably more suspension travel. The engine is rubber mounted and the bike is dead smooth at road speeds.

The Softail is designed to look like an old rigid frame bike. It is a styling exercise, and the handling and ride are a compromise. The heavy rear swingarm detracts from the suspension's ability to react to road surface changes. The engine is counterbalanced on the new bikes, so it is smoother than the older Sloptail's motors.

If you want smooth, the RK is a better choice than the Softail. And I ride a Sloptail, er, Softail!

Old 01-03-2005, 01:45 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

Well dmealsms,I would advise you to go to your locall dealer and ride a demo of both bike's and see which one is to your liking,I've heard pro's and con's on both,I personally have a 04 Heritage and love it,smooth move. The only thing I've heard a guy say about a RK is it shake's bad while Idleing and it's harder to through into a corner a little bit,he had a Heritage and traded for a RK and was not happy,he's going to trade back for a Heritage,go figure.

Old 01-03-2005, 07:57 AM
howartthou
Cruiser

dmealslms

You have the same dilemma I resolved for myself a while ago. The choice between a "cruiser" and a "tourer". The keyword here though, is "myself". The choice you make is personal and there really is no right and wrong, they are both good bikes and have their pros and cons, and it depends on which of these pros and cons are most important to you i.e. it's personal.

I would like to share my thought process when I had to decide between a Heritage Classic and a Road King. I warn you though, that I havent riden either bike yet as my Heritage doesn't get here (in Aus) until late Jan 2005:

RESEARCH PHASE

Find objective sources of information about the different models:

1. First I found a magazine called "WHAT BIKE?". This is a UK mag that reviews every bike brand and every model you can think of. It has a picture of every bike model and assigns one or more symbols (like icons) to denote whats good and bad about the bike. The Heritage got the "long distance mile muncher" symbol and the "great ride quality" symbol. The Road King Classic got the same 2 symbols as the Heritage plus the "Touring ability" symbol. From the symbols alone you "could" conclude that the Road King is more comfortable on those long long trips that go for weeks or even months.

2. Second I checked the specs between the 2 models at Harleys web site. In terms of comfort the Road King has air shocks that can be used to adjust the bike height for heavy loads amoungst other things. And yes the engine in the Road King is rubber mounted. The Heritage has a horizontal shocker that is hidden from view. I concluded here that the air shocks and rubber mounted engine in the Road King would offer greater comfort when touring.

3. Third I talked to people in the know looking for objective facts about the 2 models. They seem to confirm the above.

Find subjective info about the 2 models i.e. other peoples opinions and personal experiences:

1. First I surfed the net and read all the forums and articals I could find about the 2 bikes.

2. Second, talked to people in the know again but this time for their opinions rather than factual knowledge.

DICISION PHASE

Here all you can do is evaluate all the info you collected, factual and opinion, and decide what you think is best. My decision to choose the Heritage over the Road King was based on the following conclusions I made (and is ofcourse my opinion too):

1. The Heritage is a nicer looking bike than the Road King. Don't think too many people would argue against that conclusion.

2. I wondered what both models would look like if you took off the saddle bags for a sexier look like the Fat Boy or the Softail Delux. I read an internet artical from a Road King owner that said after taking off his hardcase saddlebags his Road King looked like crap due to the ugly looks of the exposed airshocks and the framework for the hardcase saddlebags which I understand can't be removed. The conclusion here is you cannot make the Road King look sexier by removing the hardcase saddlebags - you can with the Heritage.

3. The Road King with those air shocks and rubber mounted engine is probably more comfortable for the long haul but the Heritage is still a comfortable bike. I thought about how much cruising I would do (occassional 3 - 6 hour day rides, maybe a weekend here and there) as oppossed to how much touring I would do (weeks...even months on the road). My conclusion was that I would tour maybe once a year (twice max) and the rest of the time I would cruise. If I had to ride 6 hours everyday with a passenger, then I would go for the Road King, but I don't. My conclusion here was when it came to tourer comfort the Heritage would do as it will only be a yearly event for me and it does come standard with winshield and removable saddlebags, so it is equipped for touring.

4. Exhaust pipes. The Road Kings have a single muffler to allow for the hardcase saddlebags, t

Old 01-03-2005, 10:51 AM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: howartthou

4. Exhaust pipes. The Road Kings have a single muffler to allow for the hardcase saddlebags, the Heritage has twin mufflers - definately much sexier. My conclusion, I don't like the look of the single muffler exaust - the Heritage has a sexier exhaust system.
Single muffler? They all have two here...

I'm on an Electra Glide, same bike as the RK pretty much, 'cept I have more plastic crapin front of me to keep the bugs out of my teeth!

After riding my buddies Heritage last week, I'll say this, mine is smoother at speed, his is smother at stop lights.

I'm not too sure about the 88B engine, I'm not hearing such good things. Some of the more mechanically inclined types will be able to talk to it better. There are a number of good posts in this Forum under softtails where BClem and Pococj have made some pretty good points...

All stuff to consider, and you haven't mentioned color yet!

Good luck, and ride safe!

Mac

Old 01-03-2005, 11:41 AM
howartthou
Cruiser

Mac

When I said single muffler I forgot there is actually one on each side on the RK[&:], as opposed to 2 on one side that the Heritage has; I still prefer the Heritage look of the exhaust.

I agree with your smooth ride comments.

And I have read the 88B vs 88 postings and to be honest I got a little lost in it all and was unable to determine if there is a need for real concern. One part of it said there wasn't in that the "problem" would not show for a very long time. Either way, I would like to read another experts opinion before I draw a conclusion and I probably need to read that whole thread again....

Old 01-03-2005, 11:54 AM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 6 Posts

Got it...

Thought I was losing it...enjoy your ride brother, like Pococj said to me, careful with that mile-wide grin, it hurts after about 30 years...

Mac

Old 01-03-2005, 12:00 PM
howartthou
Cruiser

I second that Mac.

By the way I am trying to become a 3 star member ...so for now excuse me if I have to have the last word...

Old 01-03-2005, 08:30 PM
howartthou
Cruiser

Isn't a pic worth a 1,000 words?

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 01-03-2005, 08:33 PM
howartthou
Cruiser