Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hey guys, new to Harleys, gunna buy soon, couple questions...

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 04:46 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

U need to think about how Ur going to ride..Not just how she looks..

Way tooo many newbies buys only for Looks without thinking that I may take a 2-5 day trip sometime and ends up with a bike that KILLs Ur Back and Arms after a 2 hr ride.

Do Ur self a favor and write down what all U want the bike to do and what/where/when/how U'll be ridding her..

I tried to tell my son that back in 07 when he had to have the new Deuce,, WRONG<, then he bough a new 09 NT,, WRONG,, then a new 10 Street Glide.. "NOW" he's happY.. but it took 3 bikes in 4yrs to get there..

Then look at all the options of all the bikes to choose..

Having a Cool looking bike while Ur back hurts so much U cant ride her isn't fun in my book..

Last edited by oct1949; 01-12-2013 at 04:49 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:35 PM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lots of options out there, depends on many things though. Do you want an FX front end or an FL front end?

Old 01-12-2013, 06:10 PM
Bznitch
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oct1949

Way tooo many newbies buys only for Looks without thinking that I may take a 2-5 day trip sometime and ends up with a bike that KILLs Ur Back and Arms after a 2 hr ride.

Do Ur self a favor and write down what all U want the bike to do and what/where/when/how U'll be ridding her..

I tried to tell my son that back in 07 when he had to have the new Deuce,, WRONG<, then he bough a new 09 NT,, WRONG,, then a new 10 Street Glide.. "NOW" he's happY.. but it took 3 bikes in 4yrs to get there..

Then look at all the options of all the bikes to choose..

Having a Cool looking bike while Ur back hurts so much U cant ride her isn't fun in my book..

Old 01-12-2013, 06:15 PM
Doug S
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

Exactly.... are you going to bar hop or take some long distance cruises??

Way to many folks are concerned with how they look or how their bike looks to themselves and other people. How many times do you see someone on here say their bike gets compliments or everyone looks at it in a parking lot. Heck, I'd rather have people ignore my ride, much safer that way.

Decide what you want out of your ride, then get one that fits you and what you want to do with it.

Ds

Old 01-12-2013, 06:59 PM
SouthpawHD
Extreme HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

Another thing to think about is aftermarket accessories you might want down the road. For example, it's harder to add bags and a windshield to a Rocker (compared to a Fat Boy or a Heritage that already has those items). Also, Rockers aren't as comfortable for a passenger. But they do look awesome.

Old 01-12-2013, 08:15 PM
Cmonks91
Novice

Well, 80% of the riding will be short cruises around the city and country side, but i know i will go on some big rides and i wouldnt mind adding a windshield and some bags for those rides, what do you guys sujest then? I do want comfort, maybe a dyna? Or a softail without lowering, apes, ect.

Aftermarket things i would do are forward controls, big radius pipes, solo seat and different rear fender, a short round one. Having a wide rear end really kill your ride quality?

I will be buying used, $15000 or less, and i dont particularly like fatboys i just dont like the front end, and i dont like the crossbones either, i like the more stretched or raked out front ends. So i like the FX front ends

Old 01-13-2013, 10:38 AM
bigblock59
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

softail custom are kinda nice. my dad has one that he really enjoys. could get a wide glide and put a heartland wide tire kit on it.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:02 PM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Cmonks91
Well, 80% of the riding will be short cruises around the city and country side, but i know i will go on some big rides and i wouldnt mind adding a windshield and some bags for those rides, what do you guys sujest then? I do want comfort, maybe a dyna? Or a softail without lowering, apes, ect.

Aftermarket things i would do are forward controls, big radius pipes, solo seat and different rear fender, a short round one. Having a wide rear end really kill your ride quality?

I will be buying used, $15000 or less, and i dont particularly like fatboys i just dont like the front end, and i dont like the crossbones either, i like the more stretched or raked out front ends. So i like the FX front ends
Unlike many other manufacturers, there is no one HD model that fits all of your intended uses. On a HD with a 200mm rear tire the centerlines of your wheels won't be on the same line. This makes no difference while going in a straight line but nearly any other bike will leave you eating their exhaust on twisties. Your controls will be forward controls or footboards to add to the Iron Horse/Big Dog sorta like that copy look which further reduces your handling experience. You can get a kit for a Rocker which makes the Rocker even more like a Big Dog. There's always a VROD. If you want your ego, your styling taste, your ergonomics, and all of your on road riding experiences covered in one bike a HD isn't for you.

You need to find one you think you like, buy it, fix all the bugs, get with a group of other riders on a regular basis, do some customization, subscribe to some good publications and online forums, go to some rallies, and THEN pick out the bike you want after about three years of HD ownership. You will get a lot closer to what makes sense for you after you gain the experience of owning a HD.

Just my opinion...

C#

Old 01-13-2013, 09:11 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cwsharp
Just my opinion...

C#
I bought my 1986 FXSTC after falling in love with it sitting on the show room floor.
I still have it along with my FXCWC that I called and placed a deposit in July of 07 and had to wait until almost the end of May in 08 to ride it home.

Paying cash each time allowed me to pick exactly what I wanted, which I did.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:06 PM
Cmonks91
Novice

Well the bike i have now is a custom one i built, its a 86 yamaha xj650 that i made a rigid fram bobber, it looks cool and does the trick, i just want something a bit nicer and more comfortable, but having the hardtail bobber i know what an uncomfortable bike with poor handeling is like, i figured any softail harley would be a big step up, i really like rockerz bike, i know it may not handle the best but im not exactly looking for that, later in life im sure il buy a street glide or something, but i still want something that looks cool for bombing around the city, so like i said, for the bike ive had great times on already, any softail will handle better, sound better and have more power im sure, i think i have narrowed it down to a select few softails being nightrains and rockers as my favorite, so im going to look for one of those. If its not what i want then so be it il have to change my mind when the time comes, but i love HD's and never owned one before so i have to get riding one before i know exactly what i want, i apreciate all the info you guys have givin me so far, this forum is already awesome id say!!