Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead Bike... well, kinda

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013 | 11:46 PM
ghoticov
|
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by dennyo
..... Yur Gettin Close-er ....
Maybe. Lol

Just not sure where to go from here. How would I know why the left signal is not working? I don't see anything wrong with the wiring that I can see.

I know it worked at one time so I am pretty sure its not a bad turn signal. I just don't understand electrical stuff enough to know how to figure out why its not work (or use tools to figure it out).

Old 01-12-2013 | 08:37 AM
dennyo
Seasoned HDF Member

When I'm checkin a light , I take the Wire directly from the light and put it on the + Battery . to see if it Works .. that way you'll no if the light is workin .. AND I make sure the light is Grounded

Old 01-12-2013 | 09:05 AM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member

dennyo, the scoot is lookin sweeet....!

I do the same thing with the lights after disconnecting them entirely from the wiring system. First thing tho I make sure that with them disconnected that everything else is back to working order. Individually checking the lights is next. Heck I'd even go so far as hooking the old turns back up just to see if things worked alright with them on, but that's me. Just sounds like somewhere something is miswired or defective. I wonder if the equalizer is wired up correctly or if maybe its defective.

Last edited by glideridemike; 01-12-2013 at 09:09 AM.
Old 01-12-2013 | 09:20 AM
ghoticov
|
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by glideridemike
dennyo, the scoot is lookin sweeet....!

I do the same thing with the lights after disconnecting them entirely from the wiring system. First thing tho I make sure that with them disconnected that everything else is back to working order. Individually checking the lights is next. Heck I'd even go so far as hooking the old turns back up just to see if things worked alright with them on, but that's me. Just sounds like somewhere something is miswired or defective. I wonder if the equalizer is wired up correctly or if maybe its defective.
Yea, I am wondering the same thing about the load equalizer.... although that doesn't explain why my left blinker doesn't work, even without the equalizer. But still, when I hook up the equalizer, it causes a fuse to be blown. So does it sound like because one of the turn signals isn't working that the load equalizer is sending to much juice or something and blowing the fuse? Like I said, I am no electrician and really don't understand how electrical currents work so I am guessing.

I can't hook back up the old rear signals because I cut and spliced the old signal wires so I could use them for the new signals. I did think about plugging in the front signals and seeing what that does with and without the load equalizer.

Old 01-12-2013 | 09:24 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

At this point its hard to give you a hand over the keyboard. I would have to get into it hands on. I will say that its been a lifetime of problems like this that have givin me a firm knowledge of electronics.

Old 01-12-2013 | 09:24 AM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member

Some do cut and splice wires but personally I do not. I even try and stay away from soldering wires if I can. Taking the time to pull wires sometimes saves your *** down the road. If done right (without nicking wires) you eliminate the chance of wires coming apart and other glitches you certainly do not want happening while you are out on the road.

Old 01-12-2013 | 11:28 AM
ghoticov
|
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by soft 02
At this point its hard to give you a hand over the keyboard. I would have to get into it hands on. I will say that its been a lifetime of problems like this that have givin me a firm knowledge of electronics.
If I can't figure this out, I might need to take a ride to San Luis Obismpo. Lol

Old 01-12-2013 | 01:32 PM
08Nighttrain
Road Master

Just a question but you said you left the front turn plug under the tank with no grease in it. Could you possibly be getting water into the plug from washing or rain or anything that would cause short?

Old 01-12-2013 | 01:41 PM
ghoticov
|
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by 08Nighttrain
Just a question but you said you left the front turn plug under the tank with no grease in it. Could you possibly be getting water into the plug from washing or rain or anything that would cause short?
Right, there is no grease in it. But there hasn't been any rain and I haven't washed it since pulling the front turn signals. I did think about something like that... that's why I am going to pull the tank and installed the PRO ONE Turn Signal Bar.... it makes me feel better that something is plugged into that plug.