Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail Deluxe high speed question

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 11:21 PM
Wysong
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Softail Deluxe high speed question

Hi guys - i've been riding forever, but new to the HD world. I love my new 07 Softail Deluxe up to about 70mph, above that it starts to shake my eye ***** and the world becomes a little blurry. I rode my buddies 2013 Heritage and it's about the same. Can it be made smoother for the long cross country rides or is that just the way it is? I coming off a Yamaha FJR 1300, am I expecting to much from my Softail? Do I need to get a Road King for the long 4k rides?

Thanks for any help....

Old 01-02-2013, 11:28 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

I've got a '13 Blackline and I've had mine to 70 a few times but I didn't noticed any shaking or vibrating. I'd take it out and see if it does it to make sure but it's freezing.

Seriously, I don't have a clue what's going on in your case. Sorry.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:58 PM
jjames
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the FJR just spoiled you being smooth as silk. Some say the counterbalanced twin cam in softails has a buzz feeling at highway speeds but I ride a solid mounted evo softail which some say rattles your teeth out. Coming from a sporty though I think its smooth as silk and I've cruised down the highway at 90. I came from a v star and a sporty so its all relative to what your used to. Just ride it and soon enough you won't even notice it.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:09 AM
big papa AZ
Stellar HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 215 Posts

I'm coming off of a 12 Kawi Concours and definitely feel uncomfy and unstable over 75 on my 10 Deluxe. I didn't feel that much more stable on my 07 RG. The sport tourers get you spoiled, my Kawi was stable all day at 100++. Too bad I can't swing both...

Old 01-03-2013, 12:20 AM
CountryD
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Wysong
Hi guys - i've been riding forever, but new to the HD world. I love my new 07 Softail Deluxe up to about 70mph, above that it starts to shake my eye ***** and the world becomes a little blurry. I rode my buddies 2013 Heritage and it's about the same. Can it be made smoother for the long cross country rides or is that just the way it is? I coming off a Yamaha FJR 1300, am I expecting to much from my Softail? Do I need to get a Road King for the long 4k rides?

Thanks for any help....
You may want to check your Weights on your rims. From my experiences, I took those Terrible looking weights and threw them as far as I could. Get yourself some Dyna Beads. You can go to RockyMountainATv and pick yourself up some. They are cheap and are a Great little tool to help extend your tire life and makes your ride alot smoother.

Depending on the size of your tires, up front you would put 1oz in the front and 2oz in the rear. Really easy to put in tire.

Just a thought. This may solve the Wobble at higher speeds.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:22 AM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

it should be smooth through 100mph. I would check the steer bearings. If you have lace wheels make sure you have them all tight.

My brother has a 2006 heritage springer softail and it is way smooth at least to 100, haven't had it faster then that

Old 01-03-2013, 12:35 AM
chap!
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mines fine right upto top end, sure you get loads more buffeting without a fairing & feet forward makes it more disconcerting at first but you soon get used to that, as someone else said check wheel balance!

Last edited by chap!; 01-03-2013 at 12:39 AM.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:40 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I agree, check your balance and spokes 1st. I have a 06 Deluxe, smooth as silk up to 100 and even after that it isn't bad at all. I will also say this. Since I dropped in the Progressive gas tubes in up front and put the Shotgun on the back it changed the ride from like night to day, it's like riding on glass.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:54 AM
Snowyone
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Default sumpin wrong

MY Fatboy Lo feels fine right to the end 110 mph. You need to ck those spoke wheels me thinks. It does have a wobble if you take your hands off the bars about 40 mph so I'm going to tighten the steering stem up a notch.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:25 AM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,390 Likes on 1,561 Posts

I haven't noticed any shaking or vibrating on speeds over 70 on my 2012 Heritage. Was doing close to 90 last night on the highway and it was very smooth.

Quick Reply: Softail Deluxe high speed question