Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garage Door Opener Wiring Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 06:32 PM
Jerm83
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Garage Door Opener Wiring Question

I am doing the DIY mod for the garage door opener on my softail slim. I have everything ready to go, i just cannot figure out how to tap into my dimmer switch. I want it to come on when i flash the highbeam, rather than using the horn or highbeam switch. I have taken apart the switch and I only see 4 wires. I looked them up in the manual and one is +, one -, and the other ones are CAN lo and CAN hi. I am not sure where to tap into the switch at. If anyone knows which wire to use, i would appreciate it.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:25 PM
Fatbob usmc EOD
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure why you are tapping into the switch itself. I have a flash2pass installed on my Lo and I tapped into the wires in the headlight bucket itself. I can't remember which ones I tapped into but here are the instructions for Harleys off of the Flash2pass website: Single high/low with 3 wire connector. Tap the 2 outside wires. Should be the black and the white wires.
I don't think the high beam switch uses separate wires for each high beam function. I think it just uses a switch that has a throw for constant high beam and a separate throw for the flash function which has basically a return spring. I'm not sure if I'm explaining that right. Either way you are probably better off wiring up your transmitter using the wires going directly to the headlight and not the high beam switch itself

Old 01-02-2013, 07:55 PM
Jerm83
Advanced

Originally Posted by Fatbob usmc EOD
I'm not sure why you are tapping into the switch itself. I have a flash2pass installed on my Lo and I tapped into the wires in the headlight bucket itself. I can't remember which ones I tapped into but here are the instructions for Harleys off of the Flash2pass website: Single high/low with 3 wire connector. Tap the 2 outside wires. Should be the black and the white wires.
I don't think the high beam switch uses separate wires for each high beam function. I think it just uses a switch that has a throw for constant high beam and a separate throw for the flash function which has basically a return spring. I'm not sure if I'm explaining that right. Either way you are probably better off wiring up your transmitter using the wires going directly to the headlight and not the high beam switch itself
Perfect, thank you!

Old 01-03-2013, 09:01 PM
Benway
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

What is this Garage Door Opener you speak of?

Old 01-03-2013, 09:26 PM
CB1
Tourer

You can also get one of the trip reset buttons from HD and find where you want to mount the garage door opener and then drill a small hole to mount the button where you would like if the high beam thing doesn't work. Simply solder the wires across the contacts on the garage door opener. I have mine mounted under the speedo in the dash console and the g-door button opposite of the trip button on the console.

If you need more wire you can simply add wire onto the button wires.

I'm curious how putting 12v DC to the garage door opener will work out if you have to tap into the positive wire. Or is it simply a switch wire that has no voltage on it?

Last edited by CB1; 01-03-2013 at 09:29 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:56 PM
threadstopper
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Benway
What is this Garage Door Opener you speak of?

google flash2pass all will be revealed

cheers!

Old 01-04-2013, 08:00 AM
qbert1963
Advanced

Hello and happy new year to you all!!. I did mine a few years ago and if memory serves me I tapped into the high beam indicator light below speedo. On my bike, 2002 FXST, it was the white wire. Here's a good link that helped me out.http://www.kawiforums.com/how-tos-fa...r-hi-beam.html