Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Voltage Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013 | 02:46 AM
olongapo1
|
Road Master
Default Voltage Gauge

I spent new years day working on my Train knocking out a modification that I've been wanting to do for quite some time. Thought I'd share with you guys. I have, on my bikes, Kuryakyn's Battery Gauge, which shows a green LED light when the system is charging properly. It's comforting to see that green light but I want a gauge with numbers showing me exactly what's happening with the charging system. I purchased an "Auto Gauge" voltage meter and metal canister sold for automobiles and mounted it onto the coil cover. The canister was chrome which I blacked out. Connected the power line to the running light wire located under the seat. When I turn the ignition switch to on, I can see the battery charge = 12.2. When the bike is fired up, I can see the charging system working = 14.0 at idle. Easy to read while seated in the saddle.

Simple modification for under $50.00 dollars.

Sorry about the thumbnails, I have yet to figure out how to post large photos.

Attached Thumbnails Voltage Gauge-img_0554.jpg   Voltage Gauge-img_0559.jpg   Voltage Gauge-img_0562.jpg   Voltage Gauge-img_0563.jpg  
Old 01-01-2013 | 03:48 AM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member

Great job on it.
On your bike, I think I would have painted the gauge bezel black to blend in a little more.

Nice clean looking mod anyway.

Old 01-01-2013 | 03:57 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member

Guys over in the Touring section will go on an on about oil pressure gauges, oil temp gauges, etc.

But I've pointed out several times now that the gauge that has saved my bacon three times now (over the 120,000 miles I've put on this bike,) is the volt gauge. All three times I saw the volts dropping and had time to either get it home or to a lighted gas station, ( that time it was 5:00 a.m.,) in order to find out what went wrong.

By the time the headlight starts to dim, it's too late.

Great addition OP!

Old 01-01-2013 | 08:56 AM
F117ewo
Cruiser

Great looking installation, but is the gauge water proof? Riding in the rain may not be to good for it, if it isn't...

Jake

Old 01-01-2013 | 11:06 AM
threadstopper
Cruiser
Default voltmeter

Originally Posted by olongapo1
I spent new years day working on my Train knocking out a modification that I've been wanting to do for quite some time. Thought I'd share with you guys. I have, on my bikes, Kuryakyn's Battery Gauge, which shows a green LED light when the system is charging properly. It's comforting to see that green light but I want a gauge with numbers showing me exactly what's happening with the charging system. I purchased an "Auto Gauge" voltage meter and metal canister sold for automobiles and mounted it onto the coil cover. The canister was chrome which I blacked out. Connected the power line to the running light wire located under the seat. When I turn the ignition switch to on, I can see the battery charge = 12.2. When the bike is fired up, I can see the charging system working = 14.0 at idle. Easy to read while seated in the saddle.

Simple modification for under $50.00 dollars.

Sorry about the thumbnails, I have yet to figure out how to post large photos.

Nice clean and tidy mod. F117ewo has a point about watertightness. IMHO an ammeter would provide a better indication of electrical system health.

i can help you figure out how to post large photos. P.M. me if needed.